Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress / venue mismatch

I'm getting married in a year. I've always wanted to have a beach wedding, so I booked a reception (and backup ceremony) site with beach access and am planning a daytime wedding on the beach. I figured the whole thing would be very low-key and informal, and that I'd wear a breezy, unfussy dress. And then I went dress-shopping and on my very first trip fell for this very unbreezy dress. I love it, it looks amazing on, and the price is right... but I'm scared it will look ridiculous on the beach and throw my whole wedding up ten notches on the crazy scale. I have lots more appointments, so I could easily find another dress I like just as much - but it probably won't be the unobtrusive, beachy dress I had imagined. How can I have an unfussy wedding in an amazing dress?

Re: Dress / venue mismatch

• Options
    Personally I think you can wear whatever you want.  You're the bride, which means you get to look magical (whatever that means to you).  
    We are getting married in Hawaii and I originally thought I'd get a flowy chiffon dress.  I never found one that made me feel like a bride.  I tried on this one and I was in love.  I don't care if it's a beach wedding, It's my day.  
    I think it's ok to have an amazing dress.  You can still have a beach wedding.  You only do it once, so wear what you want and what makes you feel like a princess.
  • Options
    i ran into the same thing.... venue is at a ranch in hawaii overlooking the ocean, and i wanted super casual.... nope ended up with a poufy lace and tulle ballgown! weirdly it matches..... i think it's more about the attitude than trying to match. also i'm just wearing simple sandals. maybe get the fussy dress and do something simple with your hair, no veil, minimal jewelery, etc...? it can work! i'm MAKING it work lol
  • Options
    I think a ballgown/poofy A-Line is fine for a beach wedding.  It's not the 'traditional' flowy beach wedding dress, in most cases I think the bride wears the fun unfussy dress because they are destination weddings and people don't want to travel with the big dress.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I actually think it is kind of breezy...if the bottom is as lightweight and flowy as it looks. Loose hair and wildflowers will help you look unfussy. And yeah, this is one of few times "it's my daaaayyy!" is actually appropriate! If that's what you're happy in, go for it!

• Options
    ejs192ejs192 member
    First Comment
    Thanks for the support!  I'm still not 100% sure it's the one - I have lots of other appointments - but if I'm still thinking about it in a month when my mother comes to town to help me make the final decision, I'll get it.  If the worst thing about my wedding is that the dress is just too awesome, I'm probably in good shape.
  • Options
    the dress looks amazing and you can def do that for a beach wedding,  if you are not 100 percent on the dress keep looking.  when i started my dress journey i did 3 places a consignment and two regular small bridal salons, i found two at the second salon but was not sure after visiting the third place and finding nothing i knew that my gown was at the second salon
  • Options

You can wear any kind of dress in just about any location. Though, it looks best if the formaily of the dress matches that of your groom and wedding party.

I wore a formal satin a-line dress at my Mexican beach wedding a week ago. It was perfect. The guys were also in tuxes and the girls in tea-length dresses which didn't make my satin dress stick out.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    The bottom definitely looks breezy enough for a beach wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Did you attach a picture or something?  I can't see the dress.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Oh, thanks.  That skirt is pretty flowy and would work well for a beach wedding, IMO.
  • Options
    I'm totally mismatched for my beach wedding. The guys will all be wearing shorts and light blue Cuban shirts, the girls will be wearing different colors of blue dresses (whatever they feel comfortable in) and then I'll be wearing a light champagne gold heavy silk beaded dress. Very off in comparison, but I wanted a beautiful dress on the beach. Figuring the light golden champagne will look beautiful at sunset and as for the shoes, probably just going to go barefoot in the sand. I keep getting warned not to wear a beautiful dress near salt water, but I don't plan on ever wearing it again and I got the dress for a huge bargain so what the heck; water spots welcome.
  • Options
    ejs192ejs192 member
    First Comment
    My mother kind of freaked out when she saw the photo ... she's worried I will get sand all over the flouncy layers and ruin it. Which just makes me want the dress more, because (a) I am never going to wear it again, and anyway that's what dry cleaning is for, and (b) it seems like the only thing that will make her happy is something short and casual, which is fine in theory but not what I want. Anyway, I have lots of time and several more appointments. This weekend I'm going to Kleinfeld's... I'm sure they have lots of short, casual, sand-proof dresses there.
  • Options
    I think it's beautiful and I like the flower in the hair idea!
  • Options
    Damn girl.  If you can pull off that dress, you definitely need to buy it.  It is stunning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards