Wedding Party

Gifts

Hello! You guys always have the best advice so I thought I would run this idea by you guys. 

I feel like whenever I hear or have been given a bridesmaid gift they are all identical and rarely are they ever something that any of the girls actually want. I feel like if I'm going to spend the money on a gift I would rather my girls actually enjoy it instead of tossing it to the side, never to be seen again. That being said, I'm starting to think about my wedding party gift ideas and am really struggling. My FI suggested gift cards to their favorite places but I just feel like that could come off as impersonal and kind of thoughtless. I don't want them to think I had no time and just grabbed some gift cards (my wedding is a little less than 4 months away so I definitely have time to think of something great). I only have 3 girls to buy for but I want their gifts to be special to them. They all have different tastes so I'm tossing around the idea of getting them each something different possibly each a different piece of jewelry (not to be worn at the wedding, just for whenever), but around the same price point. How do you girls feel about gift cards? And would it be odd to you if you got a bridesmaid gift that was completely different from the other bridesmaids? 

Re: Gifts

• I gave my girls each different gifts, and they loved it. I wouldn't side eye gift cards as a gift either.

As examples, I got one girl a bamboo cutting board with the periodic table on it and a necklace with moss in it (she's studying micro biology) another friend who likes shopping and cute home decor I got a Gift Card to home goods and a pretty scarf. I spent around the same amount on each girl, so no one got "less"

Anniversary
  • Shop for each of the girls like you would for any other reason.  Get the wine lover some wine glass charms and a bottle of something lovely.  Get the movie lover a couple DVDs and a gift card to the theater.  Just spend the same amount on each of them, but don't get them the same thing.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Like @adk19 said, it helps to think about it like you were shopping for their birthday or a holiday present for them.

A gift card, to me, isn't too impersonal, and it's often a way of making sure you spend the same amount on everyone.

We're not sure what we're doing yet, but it'll likely be $50-60 gift cards for places/things we know they'd like.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I'd be so excited to get a barnes and noble gift card! Starting in high school that was always my favorite gift! 

ohhh. or one from sephora. 
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would personally love a gift card. Your other option is to shop like it's their birthday. I gave each of my bridesmaids their gifts privately and individually when I saw them leading up to the wedding. There's no need to make a big show of it in public so they compare them.
  • Thank you! This helps out a lot. I think giving the gifts separately is a great idea, not that they won't find out what they each got anyways. And I'm glad no one seems to be offended by the gift card idea.. I was worried it would seem impersonable. 
  • I had this same issue because my bridesmaids are all so different. And I have one bridesman, so I had to consider that as well. I'm getting the three bridesmaids earrings from etsy (not for the wedding). But they're all different styles, but the same price point. And I'm getting my bridesman a bracelet from etsy. 

I'm also considering gift cards for each of them, but to somewhere that I know they would like based on their personalities. My sister will get one to REI because she loves camping and outdoors, one friend to Total Wine because she's a wine-o, another to a clothing store because she's into fashion, and the bridesman... dunno yet. But I think that when you personalize the gift cards, it shows that you did take the time to think of them and their individual personalities and tastes, not just like "here's $50 to amazon.com".... although I would definitely not be mad if I got an amazon gift card as a bridesmaids gift. Also, the giftcards are easy to transport, which is important to take into account if your wedding party has to travel and it would be a hassle to carry a larger gift. 

I like the idea of giving the gift to them separately, having a moment to thank them privately and present the gift. 
  • GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I think thirty-one gifts has such cute stuff for BM's you can put a small tote with their intial on it or name. even your wedding date but i think people hate having stuff with someone else's wedding date on it. i only am planning on doing this bc i used to sell it and i loved the products & was basically addicted to them lol. they're so handy haha. i was thinking of putting little mimosa kits in them and then adding a pretty initial necklace, i've seen a few on etsy that i thought were really pretty & would be nice gifts. but not sure if i am going to do that. my cousin gave us girls bangles and a bunch of other small items that i thought were cute. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards