Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Food Stations?

I've been planning on getting a caterer, but he thinks it would be good to do food stations.  And while we can get a caterer to do one or two stations, he's wanting some family members who are very good with food to help out instead (and us just supply the needed things).

SO.. if we do this, do you have an ideas for stations or specific foods you would like to see somewhere?  Keep in mind it will be in an outdoor venue, the beginning of September.

Thank you!

Re: Food Stations?

• Options
    Generally I would recommend against having non professionals cook/serve food for weddings. Firstly, some venues won't allow it for insurance reasons, and secondly, cooking for a wedding is a whole different beast then cooking at home. There is a big difference cooking for 10 people and cooking for 100 people.

Also, what kind of food? What experience does his family have? Would they like to do that? Some family might just want to be a guest but will feel obligated if you ask. Are you paying them? Are you going to have a contract? What if something goes wrong?

My mom and I baked cookies for a cookie bar, but doing something like a mac and cheese bar wouldn't have been possible.

That said, for food stations, Is this all your food or would you have a buffet as well? Or is this just cocktail hour?

Anniversary
  • Options
    tmoh said:

I've been planning on getting a caterer, but he thinks it would be good to do food stations.  And while we can get a caterer to do one or two stations, he's wanting some family members who are very good with food to help out instead (and us just supply the needed things).

SO.. if we do this, do you have an ideas for stations or specific foods you would like to see somewhere?  Keep in mind it will be in an outdoor venue, the beginning of September.

Thank you!

The bolded would not be appropriate.  Your family members are guests and should not be involved in supplying, preparing, or serving food.

I'd find a new caterer if I were you.
  • Options
    Please don't have your family or friends "work" your wedding.  Sure, they may tell you it's no big deal....but they probably will feel obligated and don't want you to feel bad.  Let them relax and enjoy the day!
  • Options
    tmohtmoh member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    chibiyui said:
    Generally I would recommend against having non professionals cook/serve food for weddings. Firstly, some venues won't allow it for insurance reasons, and secondly, cooking for a wedding is a whole different beast then cooking at home. There is a big difference cooking for 10 people and cooking for 100 people. Also, what kind of food? What experience does his family have? Would they like to do that? Some family might just want to be a guest but will feel obligated if you ask. Are you paying them? Are you going to have a contract? What if something goes wrong? My mom and I baked cookies for a cookie bar, but doing something like a mac and cheese bar wouldn't have been possible. That said, for food stations, Is this all your food or would you have a buffet as well? Or is this just cocktail hour?

For the food stations, it wouldn't be a cook as you go thing.  It would just be for appetizers, finger food type things.  His mom has done this for both his sisters and offered it.  We wouldn't be mentioning it to anyone who hasn't already offered. 
    And it would only be a couple people.  No, we will also be having a buffet that is attended.
  • Options
    I wouldn't hire any caterer who feels the need to suggest non-professionals help out with the food.  There have to be other options in your area for catering -- keep looking.
  • Options
    tmohtmoh member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Ven&Radio said:
    I wouldn't hire any caterer who feels the need to suggest non-professionals help out with the food.  There have to be other options in your area for catering -- keep looking.

We have decided to keep looking.  Thank you.
  • Options
    tmoh said:

Thank you!

Who is the 'he' in this situation?  Is it your FI?  Is it the caterer you are talking to?

Most caterers do not allow or want others to bring in food.  What if someone gets sick?  There will be no way of telling which food made that person sick and that could result in a lawsuit towards your caterer.

Also, it doesn't matter if someone has offered their help or not, you shouldn't have anyone who isn't a paid vendor "work" your wedding.  Even if your FMIL has done this for her daughters weddings I am sure she will probably be very happy to not have to do it for yours as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards