Not Engaged Yet

Trying not to get my hopes up...

eilis1228eilis1228 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited June 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
BF has said on more than one occasion that he does not want to propose on my birthday. He said that proposals need to have their own separate celebration (or something along those lines). Anywho, my birthday is June 28, and he seems to be making a bigger deal out of this year than ever before. It's not a birthday with a 0 or a 5 at the end of it, so I'm not really sure what the big to-do is about. Plus, I'm going to be out of town on my birthday for a work conference, just like I was last year. I've told him numerous times I honestly don't care if we just go out to a nice dinner and call it a day. Money is super tight right now since we're moving in July, going to Cancun for a week in August, at some point will be getting engaged, and I just paid $1000 to the doctor's office for my allergy shots. No need for a big celebration. But he seriously INSISTS on pulling out all the stops for my birthday. He's insisted I send him a list of stuff I want, even after I told him I really don't want or need anything at the moment. He's made a point to ask about my favorite cake, helped me plan a big joint birthday celebration with a friend that he's insisted he'll pay for, and he keeps referencing how he's got surprises planned for me. He's also mentioned that money is really tight for him at the moment too, which it shouldn't REALLY be... he's always got some amount of surplus each paycheck because of how strictly he budgets. And he made a comment the other day about how difficult it is to surprise me since we live together and do just about everything together. He's said before he doesn't know how to slip away and do things outside of the house without me knowing. Since he's always been an online shopper, I asked what he would need to even be doing outside of the house, and he was like, "Oh, uh, shopping and stuff." OH! And he got really weird about having his gmail account open when I'm in the room, so she's obviously already ordered something, so I don't really know why he'd have to do physical, brick-and-mortar shopping. I told him to just tell me he was working late one night or something since lately he's been working late almost every night. PS: How funny is it that I'm telling him how to lie to me? lol 

So, you know, that little voice inside of me is saying that he could be possibly planning a proposal and just lied about not doing it on my birthday to throw me off. Why else would he get all weird about my birthday when he never really has before? Of course, this is easily a recipe for a giant letdown, so I'm trying my absolute hardest not to expect anything. But seriously... am I reading too much into this?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Trying not to get my hopes up...

• ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I wouldn't read too much into it.  I know it can be hard not to, but its even harder to deal with being let down.

FI and I took our first vacation together last September to one of my favorite places; Gatlinburg, TN.  He had been hinting around at getting married and was talking about our 'wedding' even though we were not engaged yet.  At this point, he had already told me that he had every intention of proposing to me and marrying me.

I thought for sure he would propose on our vacation because it just made sense; it was my favorite place, our first vacation together, a romantic location, blah blah blah. At one point, we were driving up a mountain and FI randomly pulled off to the side of the road where the creek was flowing through so i thought, "OMG, THIS IS IT. HE'S PROPOSING. RIGHT NOW. THIS IS IT". 

Needless to say, it did not happen on the vacation.  Luckily, thanks to the ladies of TK (i had posted before we left for vacation that I thought he might propose then) they told me not to get my hopes up and ruin my vacation. I didn't, and luckily was still able to enjoy it :)

Don't get your hopes up. It if happens, WONDERFUL! Please let us know and AW the shit out of your ring! If it doesn't, please don't be disappointed and let it ruin your birthday.  Enjoy your birthday and enjoy your bf.
    Anniversary

• Before FI finally proposed to me, I got the feeling he was going to do it on 3 separate occasions. It didn't happen any time I had a feeling it would. He did it on a Sunday afternoon, randomly. 

With that said, I think it is sweet how he wants to go all out for your birthday; whether or not it is a proposal or just a kick ass party and present. There is definitely the possibility that it could be a proposal, that's what I would be feeling anyways. It is hard not to get your hopes up just to end up being disappointed. My advice is that if it ends up not being a proposal, chances are he is saving for the ring or already  bought it and will propose soon anyways!

• You guys are definitely right, and I've been trying to tell myself this all weekend. Just needed to hear it from other sources. :) Now to find a way to just relax and stop reading into everything he does... lol

• I thought the same thing for my birthday two years ago, for a non-major birthday.  He even hired a driver/car to drive us to my birthday dinner and I was just totally convinced he was going to propose.  He even had flowers hidden in the trunk of his car so when we went outside to get in the car to leave, the flowers were out there.  But NOPE!  Did not happen until 2 years later!  But I know what you mean for sure!

Also, my FI said the same thing...that he would never propose on a birthday or holiday...had to be its own day.  And he did stay true to that.  But in the back of my mind I always thought maybe he just said that to throw me off...but I guess he meant that.

• Occupy your time with something that will take your mind off of this. I know that's easier said than done but if you keep going at this rate, then you will be disappointed when the proposal doesn't happen when you're expecting it to.

Let your BF surprise you on your birthday if that's what he is planning to do. Maybe it's not a proposal and he is just wanting to do something very special for you. I'm sure he isn't ignoring you when you tell him to just make it simple and to not spend too much money on it. He probably just wants to give you a nice bday and do something for you without you expecting it.

As for the email, he probably has things in there that could be of a surprise to you whether it's for your birthday or engagement...who knows. Try not to get worked up about it and just put your mind at ease by thinking about other things.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think that a LOT of folks on this board had experiences where they were 99% sure a proposal was going to happen at a particular time, and it ended up happening when they were 99% sure it wasn't going to. I also think that when you're expecting a big surprise, you tend to read more into little details. When I was worried J was going to propose on our 1 year anniversary, which was entirely not even a tiny bit true, I still found "clues" that he might.

Regardless, I think that what's bothering you is that he said he didn't think proposals should happen on birthdays, and you've made it abundantly clear that you don't want your birthday to be such a big fuss. So you're left really confused about why he's just plowing ahead anyway and making it a huge deal that it's your birthday. I get that sometimes, we fib to throw people off when we want to surprise them, but I really hope he wasn't lying to throw you off.

ANYWAY. Maybe we should just focus on distracting you.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • You guys are definitely right, and I've been trying to tell myself this all weekend. Just needed to hear it from other sources. :) Now to find a way to just relax and stop reading into everything he does... lol
    Its seriously a struggle! I had a really hard time not reading into everything or thinking he was gonna propose anytime we went somewhere unique or super nice, especially when I knew he already the ring.

I occupied myself by trying to get healthier and exercising more and I put most of my focus into my relationship with FI to try to build it up even more.
    Anniversary

• I had so many times ruined really nice moments or holidays between FI & I becoming disappointed because an engagement did not happen.  Find ways to keep your mind busy and try not to focus on any hints he throws out there.  At least you know at some point it will happen just enjoy the special moments he is creating for you.

Anniversary

• BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Your post could have been written by me at least three times.  I thought for sure he was going to do it on a trip to Mexico last year, I thought for sure it'd be on our anniversary, I thought for SURE it had to be on my birthday.  When he'd tell me "money is tight" or "I haven't had a chance to look at rings"  I thought he was just trying to throw me off, but  he wasn't, it was true!

Instead, he proposed on a random Wednesday in our living room when I least expected it.  I will just echo what everyone else has said.. try not to get your hopes up! 
  • @Pepperally Wow, I would have thought a proposal was coming too with all that. What a sweet guy though! You really found a keeper. I have a feeling something similar will happen with me... he'll do all the really sweet romantic stuff, but no ring. I'm truly OK with that too because I know it will be sooner than later when he does propose. It just seems weird to me that he's making such a big deal out of my birthday when he's never been quite so excited about it before. Not to say that he hasn't gone out of his way for me on my birthday before... one year he mentioned building me a new computer but then lied and said it just wasn't in the budget. Lo and behold, he built me a really nice computer and surprised me with it on my birthday. He had everything shipped to a friend's house and was super sneaky. But even then... he wasn't quite this adamant about a birthday. Maybe he's just feeling extra romantic this year or something. Either way, I need to get off the crazy train ASAP lol.

@southernpeach89 You are so right! I know I'm still BSC about it, although not as bad as I've been in the past. I'm more than happy to let him plan something special for me, and I know I'll enjoy it regardless. I've been trying to throw myself into planning the joint birthday event and focusing on my work trip the weekend of my actual birthday. I may need to schedule a few more trips to the gym or something in the meantime though lol. 

I really don't think I'll be disappointed if he doesn't propose. I just have this weird feeling that he's got something up his sleeve.

• @phira OMG you hit the nail on the head! I guess my spidey senses are going crazy because I've specifically told him numerous times to make this birthday a non-event, and he's insisting on doing the opposite lol. Distraction would be great!

• @weewittlewizabeth Believe me, when H was telling me about when he was planning on proposing, my mind went crazy lol. You're not alone in this. I felt like I was always on edge because I had no idea when it was coming. 

That's good to throw yourself into these other events coming up. The gym or just running in general always helped me. It's a great way to keep your mind at ease. 
  • @BreMR haha That's how I've always imagined BF would propose-- on a random Tuesday night while were eating dinner in front of the TV or something. I've even joked with him about it. I feel like that's the only way he'll do it without me having any idea it's coming, which is why it's so weird that I've got this weird feeling about my birthday. I really need to chill. 

I knew I could count on y'all as voices of reason! I really did post that with the intent of y'all telling me, "Chill! Don't read too much into it!" It helps to hear from others that I'm digging a little too deep here.

Really hoping I don't post weekly threads telling you how BSC I am lol.

• LabLove86LabLove86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    OP I feel ya! I'm in a similar situation - sorta. In the aspect that BF and I have talked about marriage, kids, ect. But are not engaged. At this point we have a lot going on in our lives as a couple - we will be house hunting in the fall and are both saving for that. We have talked about timeline but not for a little while. He wants us to have been living together for at least a year before proposal, but he also knows that I didn't want to live together before being engaged and that I made a big compromise in moving in with him before that (I knew that was a battle I wasn't going to win - and ultimately I am so happy I bent on that one - I am so much happier living with him even though we aren't engaged than I was living apart from him). He also says things at least weekly along the lines of "Sometimes I forget that we aren't already married (I don't get that - its a big thing . . .)" or even just last night it was "My dad thinks of you like a daughter because he knows you're the one for me; and you are" So things I've done to help myself from going cray-cray would be - this board. Reading everyones stories helps keep me in check. Talking to friends who are also in the same situation as I am - we are able to vent to each other and help keep each others patient pants on. I've recently started concentrating a lot more on eating healthy and working out. So sometimes I'm legitimately just too tired to think about it. But mostly - I know he's the guy for me. I love him and I'm going to stay with him. I know we will get engaged when the time is right. I know its what we both want - and that it IS eventually coming. ETA - I swear I had paragraphs. . . .
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• @LabLove86 I feel ya! 100%! BF's parents call me their daughter in law, we've had numerous timeline discussions, etc. We sometimes even refer to each other as husband and wife. All things that lead to me going BSC :-P I actually started going to the gym and eating healthy about two years ago.. got a personal trainer and everything. I lost 25 pounds and am in the best shape of my life. I've found too that going to the gym helps a ton with getting all the crazy out. There's nothing like lifting weights when you're feeling frustrated or crazy... it really helps level me out. But yes, this board helps immensely since we're all either in the same boat or have been in the same boat. :)  Good luck on the house hunting! I hope he doesn't keep you waiting too much longer!

• OH! I forgot to mention a big thing about his behavior too. I was sick all weekend, and the night my fever broke, I tried to initiate some sexy times to celebrate. He turned me down, which has happened a lot recently, so I asked if everything was OK. He said he was feeling insecure about some recent weight gain and was also stressed out. I asked what he was stressed about and how I could help alleviate it. He said my birthday was a source of stress... I again reiterated that it shouldn't be a source of stress and if it was, then he needed to tone it down. I am 100% OK with a non-event. I even suggested cancelling the big all-day event planned. It's really no big deal to me. He mentioned that he really wanted to celebrate my birthday this year and had a bunch of surprises. He kept saying that I was going to be VERY happy this year. I don't know, just seems like he's got something up his sleeve. But yes, I still need to chill out and focus on other things. :)

• I'll admit if BF was acting like that about my birthday I'd be going a little BSC too and he always says that engagements and birthdays/holidays should be separate! 

But just keep thinking that he loves you and wants to make your birthday really special, although I'd also be annoyed that he was making such a big deal out of it that he's getting stressed out. Sometimes my BF does stuff like that and I have to tell him - if your making so much out of this that it's stressing you out, it's too much! If you're stressed, I'm stressed and no one has fun!

• @bethsmiles Yes, exactly. There's really no need to become stressed out over it. I really don't want him to be stressed about anything that involves me, whether it be a birthday, Christmas, proposal, etc. He does so much for me every other day of the year that I have no qualms with making "big" events non-events. Plus, if his stress carries over into the bedroom, well... we gotta fix that ASAP! haha 

Thanks for making me feel less crazy about being a little crazy. :-P

• Ugh, I sooo feel you on this - - except that I told SO that 6/28 would be the perfect date to get engaged! lol

SO ordered my ring last week, so before I left for work today I mentioned "oh it's been a week, maybe the jeweler will call that the setting came in!"

Usually he just hangs out while I go to a job when he's off, but he wasn't here when I got home just now - so I'm thinking OMG they must have called!!!

...Then while I was in the shower, he texted me asking if we needed anything to make tacos tonight.  Oops, I guess he was just at the grocery!

Just to make sure, I checked on where I'm keeping my diamond, and sure enough it's still there. :-P

I'm confused though, I thought you were going to be away on your bday?  Is he coming with you?  I don't think I'd want to get engaged at a work conference!  haha

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Aw, I bet the anticipation is killing you! 

I'll be gone on my actual birthday, so we're celebrating the week before. He had the option of coming with me to the work conference since the room, my plane ticket, and my food are paid for, but he opted not to since I'll be working 12-hour days while I'm there. 

• I'm clueless and missed all the signs H was going to propose when he did lol. But I still sometimes get a feeling like "man that would be a good proposal lead in..." Lol I swear we've almost been married for two months ;)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • LOL! Men. Setting up great proposal opportunities and not even realizing it... oi vey.

• FI had gotten my ring the day he proposed. He also had said he didn't want to do it on a holiday or anything. He was planning on doing it the Saturday after Thanksgiving because his sister would be home and she wanted to be "close" to see us. But as soon as he got the ring, he couldn't wait and ended up proposing to me before I went to work. Sometimes the unplanned plan is the best!

• True! Although BF has said numerous times he's already got it all planned out. After hearing him talk about my birthday more, I don't think there will be a proposal, which is just fine with me. I don't think he would ask for a list of gift ideas if he were proposing, and he keeps saying that he ordered me a few things off the list too that are coming from "across the pond." No idea what that could be, but I doubt it's a ring. Is it weird that I feel a little relieved? I feel like now I can just relax and enjoy myself instead of worrying about whether or not he's going to propose...

• Not weird at all! I think knowing (or assuming) when it is going to happen can drive you crazy by waiting. A gril I went to college with knew he was proposing one weekend and wanted her nails, hair, makeup, clothes to be perfect for the pictures. So she spend all week buying new outfits and getting her nails and hair done. She dressed up all weekend until it happen. And you know what? There weren't any pictures other than of her hand. Haha. I was in the oldest pair of jeans I own and a sweater that was FI's from high school. I didn't do my nails (and still haven't). 

• edited June 2014

Sounds like you're going to have an amazing bday!  Can't wait to hear what he pulls off!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• i completely understand! My birthday is this friday 6/20 and we are going to Destin, FL. We have narrowed down the ring and now he said he is just saving to pay cash for it because he didn't want to finance it, I keep hoping he was tricking me and that he will really propose this weekend but I don't want to get my hopes up! lol Have a wonderful birthday!
  • qns1980 said:
    i completely understand! My birthday is this friday 6/20 and we are going to Destin, FL. We have narrowed down the ring and now he said he is just saving to pay cash for it because he didn't want to finance it, I keep hoping he was tricking me and that he will really propose this weekend but I don't want to get my hopes up! lol Have a wonderful birthday!
    He really shouldn't buy a ring he can't afford. Saving up to pay for it is SO much smarter than financing it. 

• As the day approaches, he's taunting me more and more lol. I go back and forth on whether or not I think he'll pop the question, but regardless, he's going to GREAT lengths to surprise me, which is really sweet and fun. 

@bethsmiles Yes, I agree about not financing a ring (or a wedding for that matter, if you can help it). But @qns180, I hope he's been secretly saving money to pay for the ring sooner so that he can surprise you. :) Let us know how your trip goes this weekend! Regardless of whether or not he proposes, it sounds like a fun trip for your birthday.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards