June 2015 Weddings

When do I go dress shopping??

My wedding date is June 13, 2015 so far all I have done is booking our venue....When do I start to go dress shopping? I feel like before I was actually engaged I was excited and couldn't wait until it was my turn to do so. Now that I'm actually engaged, I kinda feel nervous about going. Not sure why, probably because it's not just for fun it's the real deal which is exciting but scary in a weird way too. I want to make sure I get a dress I absolutely love and will look back at years from now and be happy with my choice. How soon do I go though???

Re: When do I go dress shopping??

• Find out how long it will take to order your dress, and that is your deadline, pretty much. For a designer gown 3-6 months is pretty average. You want to leave time for fittings and alterations so my 'safe zone' is about 9 months out. If you're  buying off the rack or from somewhere that can quickly get your dress in you have more time. You should definitely get some ideas and try some stuff on soon though, if you can, because it may be more difficult than you think to find 'the one'. Good luck with the search!!
  • I went super early but I'm glad I did because the design of my dress was older and likely to be discontinued. That being said, I think it depends on you. If you are decisive and don't think you'll change your mind in the next 6-8 months start shopping now! I knew exactly the type of dress I was looking for and there were limited designs for me to try in the area so my decision was pretty easy.
  • I'm getting married the same day and bought my dress on valentine's day. Super early for us, but I found it and I loved it and I'd personally have ordered with too much time than not enough. My dress is due to arrive anywhere between end of August and October, so it will sit at the shop for a few months before I start the alterations process.

Some shops say dresses will take 4-6 months, some shops say 7-9 months, so just make sure you leave time for alterations as well!  I would say you should start getting ideas now, and definitely have it ordered by end of summer! It took me about 6 months of looking online occasionally, and about 6 different times of trying on dresses to find "the dress". And I ended up with something completely different than what I initially found attractive. By giving myself time, I allowed myself to look at (and try on) many different styles, and ultimately found the perfect dress.
  • I haven't even gone to try on any dresses yet, let alone buy one! I have been looking online like its my full time job though! All we have set so far is our venue and I am really nervous it is going to rain because we are planning everything outside and don't really have a backup plan...yet. Anyway, I know for sure I want a short/tea length dress and brightly colored heels and probably an illusion neck line but I haven't narrowed it down to the right one yet. 
  • I am getting married June 27/15 and am planning to go dress shopping this summer.  That way I will have a tan and a better idea of how the dress will look day-of.
  • cehorning said:
    I am getting married June 27/15 and am planning to go dress shopping this summer.  That way I will have a tan and a better idea of how the dress will look day-of.
    That's what I want to do. I don't think I'll like anything if I'm super white in a white dress. 
  • I went to three different places over 2 weekends and found the dress (just put the deposit on it Sunday!). It was the last place out of the three, and this one just randomly triggered the "OMG I'm getting married" cry. My bridesmaid who was with me, who took me that weekend "just for fun, I know your mom isn't here", was totally shocked I started crying, since she didn't expect me to be the one to cry. 2 weeks later I took my mom and dad back to the salon, and while it was scary to pull the trigger, the fact that we needed to make a fabric commit on the dress since the style was being discontinued sealed the deal. I'm slightly nervous committing so quickly but it's what I pictured I'd get married in.
  • I am holding off going dress shopping until September. I don't want to rush the gun on buying and I am also still working on my health plan and would prefer to try on dresses when I am closer to what I want to look like.
  • I bought my dress in February- super early- and the only picture I had was on my phone which I destroyed.  It's going to be a real surprise this winter when I start fittings lol.

• I bought my dress the first time I went shopping, I didn't expect to find the "one" so quickly. But when you find it you know its "the one" in your heart and soul and you cry and it makes you feel like the princess you will be on ur wedding day. Also a suggestion, even if u dont plan to wear a veil on ur wedding day it sometimes helps give you the full picture of how u will look or feel on ur wedding day. Good luck with your shopping and you can start whenever you want, but I agree with everyone else you need to leave time enough for fittings, also if u plan on having bridal portraits before wedding you need to give urself more time bc the dress had to be fitted for that as well and to give ur photographer enough time to get portraits done for ur wedding day.
  • I bought my dress in February- super early- and the only picture I had was on my phone which I destroyed.  It's going to be a real surprise this winter when I start fittings lol.

That will be interesting! lol at least you know you loved it...it'll prob even make it exciting all over again once you finally remember which dress you picked. I should probably start looking around since everyone I've talked to says it should be about a year in advance in case anything goes wrong but I'm just so nervous to commit to a dress. I love looking at all the different dress pictures and it seems I fall in love with a new one almost every time I check the magazines.
  • E2theBE2theB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm also a June '15 bride and I've only been to David's Bridal. I want to visit smaller boutiques. I'm also trying to drop some pounds before the wedding, so trying on dresses now is kind of pointless. And I recently gained some weight (switching from retail to an office job coupled with stress-eating), so when I DID go looking at dresses, I felt so gross and ugly, I don't think I would have ordered it yet unless choir music played and angels sang when I saw it haha.
  • I got my dress already. Took me completely by surprise that I found one as early as I did. It will be about 6 months (3 more to go) before it comes in. I can't wait to see it again. It's a lace dress that I ordered in ivory. The white and lace looks cheap to me so I am hoping when it comes in I'll still love it!!! I have pictures on my phone and I look at them once a week or so and I still love the way it looks!! I was originally worried about "dress regret" after I ordered it but every dress I see still doesn't compare!
  • We got engaged last April, and the first time I went shopping was this past January. I went to David's bridal and I had with me 5 (out of 7) bridesmaids and my mom. It was a crazy experience and I didn't find anything I loved. I went again with just my mom in March to a small boutique and I think I found it. I usually jump the gun on things so I decided I would wait a few months before pulling the trigger. I also wanted to give myself time to lose some weight, because who wants to try on dresses in winter... I plan on going back in around August.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards