Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitations ... please give thoughts and proofread

I was feeling really good about our invitations. I'd spent a lot of time creating the design and working with a graphic artist to make it happen. I sent the mock ups to my parents to read over and my mom said they looked manish and ugly and too black and "wedding invitations are supposed to white." I'm not the type of person who needs to please everyone. I know people have different tastes. But I am concerned now that maybe I'm just missing something? So I just wanted to ask a group of people: Do you think our invitations are ugly/too dark? I want honest feedback. 

Wedding: late afternoon, somewhat formal, traditional style. The ceremony is in a little chapel and the reception is at a train station. 

The gold looks greenish on the screen, but the color in person is a very goldy gold. The background is an iridescent ivory, not pinkish like it looks on screen. 

Also, please proofread my wording! Thanks!

Re: Invitations ... please give thoughts and proofread

• Options
    Those are gorgeous. Mom needs to hit the chill button.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Crazy talk. Those look great. I'm not a super big fan of the all caps font, but it's not awful.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I am probably older than your Mom.  When I was married in 1976, wedding invitations were white - period.  They had formal raised thermography or real engraving.  This explains your Mom's confusion.
    Times have changed.

I would probably change the time to "at half after four o'clock" and omit "in the afternoon".  I'm not a fan of all caps, either, but that is your personal choice.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Other than the suggestions made above, I like your invitations.  They are elegant and readable.  Your mom needs to let it go.
  • Options
    No, not ugly and dark at all. Not too cluttered, very readable. There are a couple of all uppercase fonts that I really like, so that doesn't bother me a bit. 
    Truth: I would probably like it more if the large fold card were ivory instead of black, but that's just personal taste. 
    If I got this in the mail I would be very pleased, and display it on the piano. (Ugly invitations go in the drawer, not on the piano where I can admire them. That's why I said the piano thing.)
  • Options
    I used to work in the wedding invite biz, and the all white thing is on its way out. Your mom just needs to get with the times!
  • Options
    No, not ugly and dark at all. Not too cluttered, very readable. There are a couple of all uppercase fonts that I really like, so that doesn't bother me a bit. 
    Truth: I would probably like it more if the large fold card were ivory instead of black, but that's just personal taste. 
    If I got this in the mail I would be very pleased, and display it on the piano. (Ugly invitations go in the drawer, not on the piano where I can admire them. That's why I said the piano thing.)
    This.  Not a fan of the the all black side/front.  That said, while not my style (I prefer more classic invitations), these are certainly not ugly.
  • Options
    Do they have penises drawn hidden in the leaves? No? Then they aren't mannish.
  • Options
    I like your all caps font! It makes your gold script really stand out.
  • Options
    I was going to make the big panel ivory too, but all of the insert cards are going into the left side pocket, and when they're all in there the black made them pop a lot more. I tried it with the ivory pocket and it all just bled together so that's why I ended up doing it that way ...
  • Options
    I think those are gorgeous. I think that on the sticker or seal on the card you should do Jessica instead of Jessi. I feel as though that makes it a bit more formal. I think the pink looks just find but it would also look great in white or an ivory.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think those are gorgeous. I think that on the sticker or seal on the card you should do Jessica instead of Jessi. I feel as though that makes it a bit more formal. I think the pink looks just find but it would also look great in white or an ivory.
    There isn't anything pink. All the cards are ivory, it just looks a little pinkish on screen. In person it's not pink at all.

I hate being called Jessica. I wouldn't have even done it on the main invite but my mom threw a hissy fit so you win some and lose some. 
  • Options
    I think they look great.  I may be biased- I'm a fellow black, gold, ivory invite bride and my font is all caps as well :)  They're not cluttered at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    After hearing your guys feedback, I asked the designer to send me a proof with a gold panel card instead of black! Maybe this will brighten it up. Thanks guys
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards