Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid's opinions

Gizmo813Gizmo813 member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
edited June 2014 in Wedding Party
This has been really bugging me the past couple of days, so I thought maybe posting about it would help.

SUMMARY:  FSIL is in the wedding, and refused to give input into style or price of dress when asked. She insisted on spending $150 on a FG dress for her daughter, and insisted that her 2yo son be RB. Everything else (hair, makeup, shoes, etc.) are optional. She's now complaining behind my back about how much this is costing her. I'm trying not to feel badly, because IMO, she did it to herself, but that's easier said than done. 

FULL STORY:
I have 5 bridesmaids. My MOH, who is my best friend, a friend from college, my 12 year old cousin and my 2 FSIL. One of my FSIL, we'll call her Stacy, has 2 children, both of whom are in the wedding. Her daughter, age 4, is flower girl. Her son, age 2, is ring bearer. (FI and I were not originally planning on having a RB, because of his age. Stacy pretty much insisted that her son be RB, because her husband is also in the wedding ... and "what are we supposed to do with him during the ceremony". We agreed ... so as to avoid drama.)

Before we started looking at dresses, I spoke to each girl about budget. I got a non-answer from both FSIL. "It's your wedding. Pick what you like." I got an "under $200" answer from the other bridesmaids. So ... I started looking at dresses that were $200 and under, which is the bottom end of price ranges for bridesmaid dresses. (I wanted everybody in the same dress. With a junior size bridesmaid that's not easy to do. I did a HUGE amount of research before choosing a designer. I ended up with Alfred Angelo.)  MOH and I went to look at dresses together (because FSIL's were unavailable, and the other 2 are out of state) and we narrowed it down to 3 choices. I went back to the salon with FSIL to try on the final 3 and get their opinions. Again, I got, "I like all 3 dresses, for different reasons." MOH had a definite opinion, and it matched mine, so we went with that one. 

Stacy insisted on buying FG dress from the same designer as the bridesmaids dresses, because otherwise the colors wouldn't match and it wouldn't look right. So, she spent $150 on a FG dress for a 4 year old who will never wear it again. I would have been just fine with a much less expensive party dress from Macy's or a children's clothing store. But, again, Stacy insisted.

When the bridesmaids dresses came in, Stacy and her sister went to pick up the dress. They had told me that they were going to use their own alterations place, which is perfectly fine with me. So, they picked up the dresses without trying them on before leaving the store. Apparently, Stacy's dress is way too big, and she claims the alterations will cost $200.

I have also given each bridesmaid a choice about whether to get their hair and makeup professionally done with my stylist, or to do it themselves (or at a salon of their choice.) I gave them the price information before needing a commitment from them. They all agreed. 

The other day, Stacy was complaining to FI about how this wedding is costing her family close to $1000, between the dresses and the alterations (she claims her dress is way too big on her ... I haven't seen it), tuxedos for the guys, hair and makeup. And how I should have gone with shorter BM dresses (she didn't give me an opinion about this when I asked.) Or less expensive dresses (again, no opinion or budget given when I asked.) FI mentioned to her that she didn't have to agree to be in the wedding in the first place. Her response implied that she said yes because she felt obligated to, and she didn't feel like she could say no without it making HER look bad. Honestly, I'd rather she would have just said no, if she really doesn't want to be in the wedding. 

I am trying hard not to feel badly about this because she never gave me input when I asked for it, and told me to do whatever I wanted. I tried to keep things as reasonable as I could, dress-price wise, and still have everybody in the same dress. She insisted on spending $150 on a FG dress. She insisted on us making her son RB so it would be more convenient for her. She chose to have her hair and makeup professionally done by my stylist after I told her the of the dress. And this is also the same woman who chose to spend close to $1000 on her 4 year old's birthday party and close to $6000 on a Disney vacation this coming October. 

It just really irks me that she's talking about this behind my back. And I can't confront her about this because she will get mad at FI for telling me any of this in the first place. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid's opinions

• Options
     And this is also the same woman who chose to spend close to $1000 on her 4 year old's birthday party and close to $6000 on a Disney vacation this coming October. 
    SITB:
    I thought I'd add, before anybody crucifies me for the above statement, I know that she is allowed to spend her money any way she chooses, and that has no bearing on how much money she can / will spend for my wedding. The above comment was more towards the excessive nature of the expenditures, and how she's complaining about how much this wedding is costing her when that is entirely due to her own choices, demands, and lack of input, rather than my requests. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Look if you gave her the opportunity to provide her budget and opinion on the dress and she chose not to offer up her suggestions then that is on her.  If everything else is optional then that is on her as well.

Has your FI stood up for you at all?  If she is talking crap behind your back and your FI knows this then why hasn't he said anything to her in your defense?  That is what I would be having the issue with.

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    If it was (were? damn. brain fail) me, I'd tell fiance to defend me when she complains. "She asked you for an opinion and price range you didn't have one. You didn't need to spend that much on the flower girl dress. This is your fault. Don't be a brat, sister!" 

But, also... I almost feel like its just part of weddings to complain about prices. The bride and groom complain about how expensive flowers and catering is, and the wedding party complains about how expensive the dresses are. Being malicious about it, when its more than "ugh. so expensive!" is different. 

Anyway... your feelings of annoyance are valid. But your complaint about FSIL spending $1000 on a birthday party and $6000 on a disney vacation, implying that she shouldn't then be complaining about the costs for your wedding, is not. How she spends her money is up to her. And seriously... spending big bucks on a birthday party for your child and a family vacation OF COURSE is less annoying than spending money on someone else's wedding. 

Again, she should have given her opinion, and she shouldn't be complaining to your fiance since she didn't. I would have fiance stick up for you. Other than that, try to let it go. Weddings are stressful for all people involved. Complaining is par for the course. Confronting her would cause more drama, and create a possible rift in your relationship that lasts much longer than the wedding. 
  • Options
    The amount she spent on the party and how much she is spending on Disney has nothing to do with anything. Her alterations could cost that much. I've had alterations cost as much as the dress before. As for the rest just let it go. It does sound like she made those choices without considering the cost and that's on her. You know that, your fI knows that, and deep down she knows that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh FI is defending me. He did tell her she could have said no to being in the wedding. She said, "Really? I don't think so." He didn't bring up the parts about the other choices, because I'm not sure as thought he remembered all those details. And there are other family dynamics in play here that I'm not going into that affect when FI chooses to go to war with his sister and when he doesn't (because any comments about "most of those expenses were your own doing" would have turned into a war). 

@lilacck28 re: "Your complaint about FSIL spending $1000 ... " See my above comment about my above comment. It wasn't a complaint. Just more details. She can spend her money any way she wants to. She just doesn't have the right to complain about not having money when she is regularly excessive in her spending, by her own choice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Venting here is fine. Family dynamics make wedding planning seriously frustrating. I get that. I'm going through that too. Everyone has a complaint. I agree with you that you shouldn't bring it up to FSIL. 

And obviously I don't know your family dynamics... but I think if you're very hurt by his sister's comments, and it sounds like you are, your fiance should be more concerned about defending you than about a "war" with his sister. You're his new immediate family. 

Of course, it is ultimately a petty issue, so I think it was smart not to make more of it.  So, the above advice really applies more to possible future issues. 

In conclusion: people are annoying. boo. 
  • Options
    I have a feeling that she doesn't give her opinions because she doesn't want to upset me. But, I want to make sure people are comfortable, and I don't want to be THAT bride who expects everybody to bend to her ridiculous demands, which is why I ask and welcome opinions. So her not giving me opinions about things that affect her when I ask for them because she doesn't want to upset me is actually upsetting me. (Although she'll gladly offer up unsolicited opinions about things that have no bearing on her ... like the flowers.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I feel you @Gizmo813 here is my bitchy vent:

I've tried to be very accommodating. I want everyone to be happy. 

One of my bridesmaids insists that she wants me to pick for everyone (which is not what I wanted to do). And she wants to get her hair done. The other one seems to want to compete with her, so says "whatever she wants, I'll do" rather than telling me her actual opinion. And the third is my FSIL, a minor, so I bend quite a bit in order to accommodate FMIL's budget/ what I think FMIL seems to want.

I started out wanting different colored short pastel dresses in different styles (so, any pastel and short dress) That was too complicated for the first bridesmaid: "we won't match!!".   FMIL picked a bright orange floral dress for FSIL for the wedding because she thought it was "springy." So I have ended up at short and navy in order to try to please them (FSIL and the first bridesmaid both already have short navy dresses). It's fine. I like navy. But it was very frustrating getting there. And they could still end up complaining that I'm not picking the dress for them/ they won't be matching. le sigh.   

We picked a day for the wedding that worked with my family and fiance's family more than a year ahead of time. Sunday of memorial day weekend. Fiance's uncle complained after it was booked (I told his daughter about the date and she didn't mention any issues.)  He doesn't like that it breaks up his weekend and he'd rather spend it sitting at his vacation house. Whatever. don't come. Your daughter picked an entire weekend in a state where absolutely no one in the entire family lives or ever had a connection to, and then"encouraged" us to book the semi expensive inn where it would be taking place for the whole weekend so that we could all have a full wedding weekend extravaganza all together. I'm sure it WILL be fun. But damn. Don't complain about our one day where you need only drive up that morning and leave that early evening! 

My uncle complained that it was the day of a holiday that I've never heard of, and *gasp* no rabbi will marry you! Oops. We found a rabbi anyway, even though we wouldn't have minded a JOP. 

And I'm doing a brunch wedding, with food that I"m very excited for. My aunt complained that there won't be enough. My dad (aunt is his sister) now insists that we should pick another lunch food. They're paying, so it's fine but... 

The damn peanut gallery is getting old. 

• Options
    lilacck28 said:
    I feel you @Gizmo813 here is my bitchy vent:

I've tried to be very accommodating. I want everyone to be happy. 

The damn peanut gallery is getting old. 

Wanting everyone to be "happy" just ain't gonna happen.  So stop sharing the details of your plans with everyone and just invite them when it comes time to invite them.  If you get asked for details, respond, "we're working it out" and don't offer specifics.  That may make them unhappy, but you can then respond, "Look, when we gave out all the details, we got back too many unsolicited complaints.  Since it isn't possible to make everyone happy, we planned the wedding that works the best for us.  The specifics may not be to everyone's taste, but we are not violating any etiquette and we are looking out for everyone's needs, and that's what counts."

• Options
    @Jen4948

The only thing that didn't have to be shared was the food. We obviously would have told them the date, and I specifically solicited opinions on bridesmaid attire.  My mom learned pretty quickly not to share any more details than necessary. 

I know not everyone will be happy. I'm actually not concerned with these things anymore. After a few days they all become funny stories that fiance and I joke about. I was just trying to illustrate to OP that so many things don't go according to plan, and that people will complain no matter the good intentions. 

• Options
    lilacck28 said:
    @Jen4948

The only thing that didn't have to be shared was the food. We obviously would have told them the date, and I specifically solicited opinions on bridesmaid attire.  My mom learned pretty quickly not to share any more details than necessary. 

I know not everyone will be happy. I'm actually not concerned with these things anymore. After a few days they all become funny stories that fiance and I joke about. I was just trying to illustrate to OP that so many things don't go according to plan, and that people will complain no matter the good intentions. 

That's a good attitude to have.  It's also a good reason not to share more than you (generic) strictly have to with people.
  • Options
    Gizmo813Gizmo813 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2014
    My mom has said so many things to me that make my jaw drop. Like, "I'm providing welcome bags for guests staying at the hotel. BUT the only guests who get them are people from out of town. Friends who stay at the hotel because they don't want to drink and drive don't need a welcome bag." So essentially, she wanted to give the hotel instructions to look up the address of each guest checking in to determine whether the distance they traveled qualifies as far enough to earn them a welcome bag. Uhm ... what??? 

Translation: My family is all coming in from out of town, and I want to give them all little trinkets to welcome them. The rest of your guests don't matter to me.

She was very unhappy with me when I told her that everybody staying at the hotel gets a welcome bag, or nobody does.

I try to not be concerned with whether or not people are happy.  But it's much easier said than done. I'm a people-pleaser. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I need to vent. FSIL strikes again. 

Summary: Bridal shower was last week. FSIL had a HUGE issue with how MOH handled planning the party, and won't leave it be. Now she has a HUGE problem with how MOH is handling planning Bachelorette party and won't leave it alone. I tried to play "mediator", and offered to have lunch with my 2 FSIL and MOH in order to sort this out (even though I shouldn't have to even be involved in this crap), but FSIL refuses to speak to MOH. FSIL antics and constant complaining caused FI to LOSE HIS SHIT at his parents' house today ... which meant we cut the evening short and left early.  

Last week was my bridal shower. It was supposed to be a "surprise", but all I heard about leading up to it was how unorganized MOH was and how MOH wasn't involving everybody else, and how she was completely screwing everything up, blah blah blah. I head about it because my future in-laws complained to FI who was trying to mediate between his family and MOH (who was telling him the complete opposite of what he was hearing from his sisters.) FI would vent to me ... which he probably shouldn't have done, but who else was he going to talk to? 

So bridal shower happened. Of course, future in-laws found things to bitch about. Which I then heard about after the shower was over. I tried to play the "what's done is done, everything worked out ok in the end" card ... to little success. And managed to somehow royally piss off FSIL, who essentially took her toys and left the sandbox. "Well, you need to understand our side...you're only hearing this from one side. That's it. I'm done with this shit." 

Fast forward to today. MOH is planning bach party. She wants specifics to be a surprise, so we have been talking in general terms so she can make sure her plans are on track with what I want to do. FSIL also has a problem with the way MOH is handling bach party. (Not taking our suggestions, doing what she wants to, blah blah blah.) 

So, FSIL and a few cousins were discussing this today. I don't know how FI ended up getting involved in the discussion, because I wasn't there. But, it escalated into a screaming match (I think 1/2 the neighborhood must have heard it) between FI and his sister. Because, according to FI, his sister told him that I need to pick a side ... and essentially condemn my MOH and side with family....because family is forever and MOH probably won't be around forever (we've been friends for 10 years...) Of course, FSIL denies sayiing any of this. 

FI is stuck between his family and me ... and even though he sides with me, it is a very difficult place to be in. I'm' stuck between future in-laws and my best friend. 

I had a phone conversation with FSIL later this evening. We left the conversation in a much better place, after a few go 'rounds, but I am really not sure if our relationship can be repaired. Which makes me very sad, because I want to have a good relationship with my in-laws. I just don't know if I can deal with the drama. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this, OP. FSIL sounds like she is making her own life difficult. I'm not sure why. I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding coming up later this year. I can't afford to attend the bachelorette party that is being planned. I would love to go but it just isn't possible. So I emailed the MOH and said, "I'm so sorry that I will not be able to attend. My financial situation is not stable enough at this time. I know you will all have a fabulous time, I can't wait to see pictures, and thank you for organizing this for our friend bride!" Boom. Done. 

ETA: I did plan something small that I could afford to do with the bride to celebrate her bachelorette-ness, just the two of us. It was well received.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards