Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to decorate for a daylight reception

We're getting married at a beautiful mediterranean vineyard next June. We absolutely love our venue! The only problem is that the sun will still be out at the time that dinner will be served. Ideally, I would love to create a soft and romantic ambiance with plenty of candles. However, with the sunlight coming in through the windows I'm finding it hard to pull it off. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Re: How to decorate for a daylight reception

• Options
    angiep321 said:

We're getting married at a beautiful mediterranean vineyard next June. We absolutely love our venue! The only problem is that the sun will still be out at the time that dinner will be served. Ideally, I would love to create a soft and romantic ambiance with plenty of candles. However, with the sunlight coming in through the windows I'm finding it hard to pull it off. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Your venue sounds beautiful. Don't fight it.
  • Options
    Hang curtains or fabric of some kind?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    angiep321 said:

Your venue sounds beautiful. Don't fight it.
    Agree with this completely. We're also having our reception during the day. I'll have a few votives on the tables, but that's it. 
  • Options
    I would have a few votives as past poters have said. I would also consider a small centerpiece of flowers of something. ( I like greenery though)
  • Options
    I agree with not fighting it. If you want though, curtains would be your friend. We're having an afternoon-evening reception and my centerpieces are candles in water beads. plain and simple but it does the job :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I think simple centerpieces and just letting the venue shine will be your best bet. You can have some votive candles, they won't really give off ambient light during the day, but come on, you're in a vineyard! Show it off!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm on the don't fight it camp.    Parties do not need to have candles on the tables for it to be a good time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    If you really want candles, go for it.  We got married at 11:00 with a lunch reception.  Our ballroom had large floor to ceiling windows and we still put two taper candles on each table with the centerpiece.

Here is a picture of our centerpieces and candles and a picture of us dancing where you can see the big windows (and that is snow outside not a "bad lighting" picture).

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I light candles in my home and office during the day. It is still visible and creates a nice atmosphere.
  • Options
    I'm in the camp of not fighting it. Do candles! I think it sounds gorgeous.
  • Options
    I am also having a daytime wedding. We are getting married in a historic chapel and having the reception there. We'll be using simple, small centerpieces in vintage themes to highlight the historic beauty and architecture. The centerpieces will be a small stack of vintage books with a lace handkerchief, topped with a teacup full of hydrangea. On the columns, we will be hanging swaths of white chiffon. The light coming through the stained-glass windows will bring all the color we need.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    We had a late afternoon wedding and the sun was still out our entire reception. The building we were in had basically window walls on three sides. We left the windows open because outside was a gorgeous golf course. We still lit candles on our tables. Even if you don't get the soft light look it still looks nice.
  • Options

Thank you so much ladies!! I starting to agree with all of you... candles it is!!! :)

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    I think simple centerpieces and just letting the venue shine will be your best bet. You can have some votive candles, they won't really give off ambient light during the day, but come on, you're in a vineyard! Show it off!

You're so right! It's such a stunning place!
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    If you really want candles, go for it.  We got married at 11:00 with a lunch reception.  Our ballroom had large floor to ceiling windows and we still put two taper candles on each table with the centerpiece.

Here is a picture of our centerpieces and candles and a picture of us dancing where you can see the big windows (and that is snow outside not a "bad lighting" picture).

Thank you! Beautiful pics!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards