Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation File Formats and Printing

Hi guys! Happy planning! I've seen a few posts asking for advice about sending files to printers, so I figured I'd offer a little insight for those who might be lurking/researching.

If you are digitally creating your own invitations, after you finalize the design, your best bet is to give your printer a PDF version. There will be less computer-to-computer translation issues between you and your printer. (I'm going to amend this first post with replies below that have tutorials on how to create PDFs in Microsoft programs, in case anyone needs it, as I know that's a popular suite for people who are doing the DIY thing.)

Should you plan to create your own invitations, lean towards programs that are geared toward printed material. In the Microsoft Office suite, stick with Word or Publisher. I can not emphasize enough that you should not use programs like Paint or PowerPoint for your invitations. You can, sure, but I don't recommend it as they are not geared toward printed material for a final product.

--
Please do not hesitate to message me if you have any questions or need help with the layout or file finalization of your invitations or other materials. I just want people to get the best results they can with what they've created. I'm a graphic designer, but I'm not selling a service. I just know what it's like to need help and not know where to start. I am more than happy to advise someone or offer assistance for free if they need the help.
--

I'm the fuck
out.

Re: Invitation File Formats and Printing

• Options

Thanks for your post!  I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to print my invitations that I had designed on Etsy.  I am so NOT a DIY bride and have zero creative ability. 

I would like to have my invitations printed on something nicer than just plain cardstock, so I came across Cards & Pockets through searching these boards.  The problem is that my invite is a 5.25 x 7.25 file to print as 5 x 7 and the RSVP and insert card are 5.75 x 4.5 files to print as 5.5 x 4.25.  These are over their max dimensions for a pocket invitation. 

So, the way I see it, I can either (1) ask the Etsy designer if she can resize the files (I only have the finished product in PDF) OR (2) I can just put everything loose in the envelope without a pocket.

Do you have any printing companies that you recommend if I go with #2?  What about a belly band to hold everything together?  Or am I just being weird by thinking that everything has to be held/grouped together?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

• Options
    Did you just convert to PDF, then adjust the paper size when you print? I am waiting for my samples from cards and pockets and will be designing my invites in Word.
  • Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    @itsmestacey123

If you take your file to a place like FedexOffice, they will have a catalog that you can pick paper samples from. They'll also print a one-off sample of your print materials for you to approve of and hold on to.

I recommend finding envelopes that will fit your folded invitations, and bringing them with you to the printer so that you can pick a cardstock that will coordinate well with it.

Personally, I'd be alright with tucking the inserts into the folded invitation and having that all just sitting in the envelope. Pockets are nice, but not 100% necessary.

Another option would be to get pieces of cardstock that closely matches your wedding colors, or envelope color, and will fit into your envelope, and find a decorative, low-profile (read: as close to flat as possible) clip, and use that to attach the inserts to the piece of cardstock. Stick all of that into the envelope, and put the invitation on top.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @futuremrsog15

Before you begin, I have a question. Do you plan to have a full bleed document, or will you have white space around all of the edges?

If you will not have any colors or design elements 'bleeding' off of the edges, before you start adding any information or design elements to your document, you should adjust the document size to be the final size you want it to be printed at. This will make it easier for the printer, and for pretty much everybody.

If you plan to have objects that bleed off of the page, you will need to include at least .125" extra space around all sides of the document, and you should inform the printer ahead of time that it will need to be trimmed down to your preferred final size.

Once you have finalized your design, you should then save a PDF version. You can not edit a PDF in Word (as far as I know), so any changes will require a new PDF save.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @beethery

I am certain I do not want full bleed. (Thank you for explaining that so well!). I am very familiar with printing from Word to PDF so I have that down, just curious about the Word part itself for invitations. I just want text, keeping it simple but will have borders of a design using the papers from Cards & Pockets. I may be messaging you later when I get to the time to print! Great post, thank you!
  • Options
    @futuremrsog15 a good rule of thumb is to mind the 'safe area' for your document. Nothing should be closer to the cut edge of the document than .25" Text (obviously) shouldn't overlap the border, and it isn't a bad idea to keep it another .25" inside of the border, pending any font or layout issues.

Happy to help!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    You would also be surprised what a neighborhood printer/copy shop can do if you're having trouble.  The letterpress that did my save the dates and invitations went out of business, so I couldn't get matching menus and programs.  I went to a local shop, who recreated the suite exactly, down to the paper, printed 130 menus and programs, all for $90-some.  

Local businesses having to fight people switching to Vistaprint, FedEx store, etc.  They're eager for business.  If you're struggling to get your idea right, file format problems, etc., just let them deal with it.  They'll get the bleed right, or other problems, and be happy to have the business.
  • Options
    You would also be surprised what a neighborhood printer/copy shop can do if you're having trouble.  The letterpress that did my save the dates and invitations went out of business, so I couldn't get matching menus and programs.  I went to a local shop, who recreated the suite exactly, down to the paper, printed 130 menus and programs, all for $90-some.  

Local businesses having to fight people switching to Vistaprint, FedEx store, etc.  They're eager for business.  If you're struggling to get your idea right, file format problems, etc., just let them deal with it.  They'll get the bleed right, or other problems, and be happy to have the business.
    This is definitely true, and good advice for anyone who is looking for assistance locally.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I found a local print shop and talked to a super nice guy who gave me great advice.  He said my best bet is to go to a paper shop like Paper Source and pick up exactly what we want our invitations to be printed on (and matching envelopes).  We just have to bring him the paper and the files and they do the high quality printing for pennies per page.  Thank you all for your help!
  • Options
    wow, thanks so much, @beethery!  bookmarking this page now! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards