Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Not doing a few reception things...?

Hi all,

I am not a traditional person....

Things I am NOT doing: 1. Dollar dance....it is old fashion/tacky and not for me!  2. Tossing my flowers to the 'single ladies'...I am LITERALLY the last single person in the family or out of friends to be married(I'm 29)....LOL nobody will be out there to catch it. 3. The thing where they guy crawls up my leg to some weird stripper music to toss something to single guys.....LOL not for me, not happening.  

Do I even have to add new stuff?....I really do not think people will miss this stuff.  My guest can dance with me FOR FREE, and watch us cut the cake, all first dances are still happening. 

Re: Not doing a few reception things...?

• Hi all,

Things I am NOT doing: 1. Dollar dance....it is old fashion/tacky and not for me!  2. Tossing my flowers to the 'single ladies'...I am LITERALLY the last single person in the family or out of friends to be married(I'm 29)....LOL nobody will be out there to catch it. 3. The thing where they guy crawls up my leg to some weird stripper music to toss something to single guys.....LOL not for me, not happening.  

Do I even have to add new stuff?....I really do not think people will miss this stuff.  My guest can dance with me FOR FREE, and watch us cut the cake, all first dances are still happening. 

I skipped all of those things. No one missed them and I didn't add anything new
  • Hi all,

I skipped all of those things. No one missed them and I didn't add anything new
    Skipped all of them as well.  Plus we had zero toasts.  No one missed anything and the lack of those items created more time to actually party.

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We're not doing any of that stuff either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    No, no need to replace those things with anything else.
  • windiewindie member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We are not doing those things either. Also not having spotlight dances, toasts, or cake cutting (we are having cookies instead of cake).

We are having a photo booth (FI is really excited about that) and then a special room for all the kids that will have games, crafts, logos, & coloring. They will also be encouraged to make us a card for our "Up" inspired mailbox.
    Out of the 111 people attending about 36 are kids!
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ain't nothin' wrong with just having a dance party after dinner. You don't need to replace the wedding traditions with anything.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • We skipped all of those things too. We're when we got married two years ago (39 & 45). We only had 1 or 2 single guys there and none of my single girlfriends wanted to be involved in a bouquet toss. They asked if I was doing one & when I told them I was thinking of skipping it, they all said "Thank you" . The only thing we did add which I think is a fun new tradition is the anniversary dance because I think it's fun to see how long so many people have been married and that there is still hope for long lasting marriages in a day where divorces are so common.
  • Thank GOD for these comments. LOL I was kinda starting to feel bad. @Erikan73 I love the idea of an anniversary dance. Very fun! 
  • We didn't do any of those things...  We didn't add anything (unless you count the gourmet S'mores bar).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I've actually never been to a wedding that had a dollar dance. The only reason I know they exist is because of TK. 

We're not doing any of that traditional reception stuff either. We're doing a first dance and two speeches. That's it. No bouquet/garter toss, no cake cutting. 
  • edited May 2014

Hi all,

We didnt do any of those things either. They are ALL tacky - especially bouquet toss for single ladies. I got married the latest out of all my friends and being singled out like that at their weddings just felt horrible. Of course I prob could have just opted not to do it but I practically got dragged out there, so I kinda felt I had to. Blah.

Skip it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • YES....we just went to a wedding last weekend and our friends were having the DJ call us out over the mic to come out and do they 'single people' stuff?!?!? I was super annoyed, lol, and flat our ignored the guy but my fiance got dragged out there...poor guy.  
  • I'm not getting married for 15 months, even though a lot is planned already, but I'm refusing those things as well as doing anything to get the couple to kiss, any games, and I'm trying to get rid of a first dance as there will be no father/daughter either. If I wasn't so shy and enjoyed people looking at me then maybe....
  • I'm with everyone else, we're cutting out pretty much every "tradition". No first dances, cake cutting, flower tossing, etc.. When I'm at other weddings, those are things that I tend not to care about, and they aren't important to my fiance and I. I'm not worried about adding "extra" things, I think you just need to enjoy your day how you want it to be.
  • We skipped all those things as well. I don't think anyone missed them, and I certainly didn't! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards