Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Charleston, SC

I hear so much about Charleston as a honeymoon destination but not a lot about what there is to do. Is anyone going for their honeymoon or has anyone gone? I'm very curious about what there is to do.

Re: Charleston, SC

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Typical tourist activites include - a boat ride and tour of Fort Sumter (highly recommend), touring a retired Navy battleship on the Mount Pleasant side of Charleston Bay (across the really big white bridge), the Museum of Charleston, and touring historic homes. There's tons and tons of shopping.

Two of my best friends went on their honeymoon there nearly two years ago now. They toured Holy City Brewing, and also visited a rice plantation.

Excellent places to eat (expensive, but amazing food) include - Magnolia's, The Ordinary (lot's of raw, fresh seafood), FIG, S.N.O.B.S, and Husk. One of my favorite coffee houses that my FI and I visit every time we go is called City Lights Coffee on Market Street.

Places to stay: You have tons and tons of options but I recommend the Doubletree Hotel. It's located right in the heart of everything and literally across the street from the Historic Slave Market (now just a regular market with lots of cool crafts and stuff). I think my friends stayed in a B&B called Two Meeting Street Inn (it's right on the bay in a historic home!). I recently rented a condo at a place called The Society House for a girl's weekend. I was very happy with it! The condo could sleep up to 6 people, had 1.5 bathrooms, a full kitchen complete with utensils, coffee pot, toaster, everything, and was located right off King Street where all of your major shopping is.

• Options
    Probably my most favorite place in the world..... The poster above gave lots of great advice. Also you are very close to some great beaches... Just across the Cooper River bridge... Isle of Palms/ Sullivan's Island.... Beach and Raquet Club nice place to stay... Folly Beach on the funkier side bit equally as pretty...Edisto is pretty remote but lots of historical and natural sites....Old Mount Pleasant is quaint ... Has good B&B.....tons of history/ awesome restaurants/.. Great shopping on King Street...and market diwn town ....horse drawn tours are great....kayaking on Shem Creek on Mount Pleasant side... One thing it's really hot and humid in July / August so lots of sun dresses / natural fibers
  • Options
    Thank you both SO much!!! We decided to do an Old South, Gone With the Wind (sans hoop skirts) type of theme for our wedding and wanted to bring it into our honeymoon as well. I have heard so much about Charleston as romantic but not really what to do and you all helped a great deal it actually sounds perfect for us. Nice blend if romance, history, and culture. To me seems like the trifecta for a honeymoon.

Thank you so much and best wishes to you both!
  • Options
    I LOVE Charleston.  I would suggest going on at least one carriage ride while you are there.  It's a really great way to see parts of the city.

If you're going with a Gone With the Wind theme, you definitely need to go to Boone Hall Plantation.  It was the inspiration for Twelve Oaks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I LOVE Charleston.  I would suggest going on at least one carriage ride while you are there.  It's a really great way to see parts of the city.

If you're going with a Gone With the Wind theme, you definitely need to go to Boone Hall Plantation.  It was the inspiration for Twelve Oaks.

**Stuck in Box**

They actually filmed part of Gone With the Wind at Boone Hall.  All of the exterior shots for Twelve Oaks was filmed there and they painted out the plantation home and dropped in a picture of Twelve Oaks.

Anyway...  I second the suggestions for Fort Sumter and Boone Hall (assuming you like Civil War history).  The old slave market has a lot of neat shops and cafe's...  My favorite is Market Street Sweets, they make the  best home made Pralines and Glazed Pecans (plus a lot of other pecan based treats).  They usually have free samples at the front door...

Rainbow Row is neat to visit...

I went with my parents over a long weekend about 4-5 years ago.  It was a nice little get away but I'm not sure I could spend a full week there without combining it with Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards