Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

2 different people have offered to get us our family Bible

One of my close friends initially told me awhile back that she wanted to get me and FI our family Bible. I hadn't really thought about this until last weekend when FI's grandparents told us they wanted to get our family Bible (and started describing the details of it, etc. which makes me think they already have it picked out). What should I do? Accept 2 Bibles? Do you think either party would feel hurt that someone else got us a Bible as well or am I over-thinking this?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: 2 different people have offered to get us our family Bible

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    I have no relationship to the bible or being religious so take this comment with a large grain of salt.. it seems to me, if you are religious and often read the bible, well, there are two of you (you and your fiance) so maybe having two bibles wouldn't be such a bad idea. 
  • My personal thought would be that I'd like to pick out the family bible with my FI - and I would probably be comfortable explaining that fact to both a close friend and my grandparents. To me, it would feel more personal. Now, I don't know anything about family bible traditions - we will probably get one but neither of us is particularly religious - I have mild issues with organized religion and the hypocrisy I see in the churches I've visited (not ALL churches, for sure), and FI just works too damn much for Sunday Morning Service.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think you should accept the Bible from your grandparents.  What a thoughtful gift!  We had to buy our own, since neither of our families were religious.
    I would call your friend and explain that the grandparents are getting you the Bible, and that this is very important to them.  She should understand.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I think you should accept the Bible from your grandparents.  What a thoughtful gift!  We had to buy our own, since neither of our families were religious.
    I would call your friend and explain that the grandparents are getting you the Bible, and that this is very important to them.  She should understand.
    I agree that it should come from family.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually sell antique books for a living and the majority is family bibles (only from the 1800s though).I agree with CMGragin. I would go with your grandparent's offer. Only because that is usually the tradition. You would place you and your husband's name in the marriage page then continueon with your family. Handed down through your line.

That's my experience with them though. Like I said, with 1800's bibles... I don't know if its different now!

But there is nothing wrong with having 2 of course! I think its a very sweet gift.
  • Could someone explain to me what a family bible is?
  • lilybet13 said:
    There's a family Bible tradition on one side of my family. The Bible has been passed down long enough that it's not in English. It has the family tree written in the front, much like elizabeth describes above.

OP, are your friend and grandparents offering to buy you a new Bible to pass down through your new family? If so, though you can have multiple Bibles, you can really only work with one family Bible. I'd also go with the grandparents because they're family (and it sounds they've already made the purchase).
    Yes, both parties have offered to buy us a new Bible to pass down to our new family, record significant family and religious events in it, etc.
    I guess you are all right, it won't hurt to have two Bibles. I just know this is a long-standing tradition in our circle and didn't want anyone (like my friend) to be offended or hurt when she saw someone else giving us a Bible. But it does make more sense that it would come from family.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Could someone explain to me what a family bible is?
    It's a bible that gets passed down from generation to generation. It has a section in it to record births, deaths, and marriages.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • IMO, you should accept that precious keepsake from your grandparents. It sounds like they have put a lot of thought into the selection of a family bible. I would hope your friend wouldn't take offense. 

You could also accept both gifts, record every event in both. If you have children, you'll have two bibles to hand down. 

• mysticl said:
    Could someone explain to me what a family bible is?
    It's a bible that gets passed down from generation to generation. It has a section in it to record births, deaths, and marriages.  

SITB

Ooooh. That sounds really nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards