Registry and Gift Forum
Options

When did you make your gift registry?

We've been engaged since late March and are planning an October 2015 wedding. New to the whole planning process, we aren't sure when we should make our gift registries! How soon is too soon? My parents are throwing an engagement party this summer and we weren't sure if you should be registered beforehand. Thanks in advance!

Re: When did you make your gift registry?

• Options
    Now would work. Early is fine... and yes I would register before the engagement party but do not share the registry info unless someone asks... if they want to they will find your registries by checking the most popular registry stores. You could also create a wedding website (if you have not already) and include information on your registry there. I personally like my wedding website on the knot because everything seems to tie together nicely (ie.. registry info coming together in one place with "My Registry", Online RSVPs option tied to your guest list) When a shower is planned for you, registry information can be included at that time.
  • Options
    You could register whenever, but I personally would suggest waiting till after Christmas. Retail inventory, especially linens, change season to season, and many stores bring in new products for Christmas and will discontinue items after Christmas, product lines change over to newer models, stuff like that.

Are engagement parties typically gift giving events in your family/circle? If they are, then registering this early is probably ok. Keep it to lines that experience less turnover, cookware, fine China, crystal, kitchen gadgets and non specialty small appliances. You can register for items that. Are more likely to have seasonal change, but then you run the risk of receiving half your towels before it's discontinued. It isn't a big deal, but it is an inconvenience

Anniversary
  • Options
    kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    You could do a small registry now, but I would recommend waiting until after the holidays to really thoroughly do it.  Inventory changes frequently... we registered in March for our October wedding and have had a variety of things go out of stock.  Having to deal with that for 16 months could drive a woman crazy :)  
  • Options
    (raises hand) I am one of the people currently being driven crazy by things going out of stock since we registered. I knew it would happen and planned to update a few times before my showers, but it's still annoying. If you're ok with the annoyance, go for it now.

• Options
    I just registered a few weeks ago and we are getting married in October. No one seems to know it exists yet.
  • Options
    Blergbot said:

I just registered a few weeks ago and we are getting married in October. No one seems to know it exists yet.

I'm having the exact experience. Though Target can't decide if one item has been purchased or is simplify no longer available.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm having the exact experience. Though Target can't decide if one item has been purchased or is simplify no longer available.
    Targets registry is pretty........not good. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    We registered in May for our November wedding. We were going to keep waiting, but had time and his Mom told us that people were bugging her for registry info.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ya I just realized this was October 2015 and not 2014 ;) Still fine to register when you want- however, I would wait... due to things going out of stock between now and then (just as others here have noted) and a good chance that come this time next year you will not even like some of the selections you have made.
  • Options
    we registered in January/February for a June Wedding.  PPs are correct that a lot of things may get discontinued after the holidays so you are better off waiting until then.  Not many people will look at the registry that far in advance. I started making a wish list of my own at home for about 3 months before registering.  I changed my mind on a lot of things before registering so I am glad I waited to register until I knew exactly what we wanted.

Anniversary
  • Options
    awitmer77 said:
    We've been engaged since late March and are planning an October 2015 wedding. New to the whole planning process, we aren't sure when we should make our gift registries! How soon is too soon? My parents are throwing an engagement party this summer and we weren't sure if you should be registered beforehand. Thanks in advance!
    You are JUST like me! We got engaged March 29th and are getting married 10/24/15. I was going to wait for the registry, but my parents are giving us an engagement party in September and I know people will ask. I am not putting registry info on the invites because I don't expect gifts, but if someone asks, I thought it would be good to have a few things. I did a BBB registry for basics that I KNOW I will need (we don't have a house yet) so I did a lot of kitchen stuff. I think it's a great idea. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Now would work. Early is fine... and yes I would register before the engagement party but do not share the registry info unless someone asks... if they want to they will find your registries by checking the most popular registry stores. You could also create a wedding website (if you have not already) and include information on your registry there. I personally like my wedding website on the knot because everything seems to tie together nicely (ie.. registry info coming together in one place with "My Registry", Online RSVPs option tied to your guest list) When a shower is planned for you, registry information can be included at that time.
    This is exactly what I did/plan on doing. Love everything you said!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards