Wedding Etiquette Forum

Sending photos along with Thank You cards

kaliyan87kaliyan87 member
First Comment
edited June 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
This may seem like a silly question, but I am really confused about thank you cards.

I have searched all over the Internet: Yes, I know how to address them and the appropriate time in which to send them.

However, do I have to send photo(s) along with them? 

If so, should they be attached inside the card or outside the card?

I DO NOT want to make those customized thank you photos.

The cards I purchased are small, they would probably only fit a maximum of 3.5 x 5 inch photo which doesn't really exist for printing, unless I cut each photo myself. Or else I would have to buy larger envelopes.

I have been waiting patiently for my photos from the photographer because I don't think they would want a picture of just the groom and I, but the pictures with us when they were at the wedding (We had our amazing MC delegate this task for us: naming each family or group to take photos with us). What are your thoughts on receiving photos with thank you cards?

Re: Sending photos along with Thank You cards

• No, they don't have to include a photo. And unless you can get all these photos within a couple weeks of your wedding, I wouldn't include a photo.
  • Nope. I'd throw a picture away anyway unless you were a sibling.

• EverAferEverAfer member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    You don't have to include photos.

Pictures of just the B&G, we'd look at but probably not keep.
    A good photo with at least one of us is a nice touch.

At FI's friend from college wedding, the boys managed to get a photo with the groom. We received a lovely thank you note with the photo, this we'll hold on to and I know he cherish it cause it's FI and his old college buddies.

ETA: it wasn't a planned photo either, just the boys heading to the bar and running into the groom.
  • Photos are not necessary. If you can't get them soon enough to get thank you notes out within a few weeks of the wedding, skip it.
    Anniversary
  • Also, you can always send photos later. You don't need the excuse of a thank you note to send someone a photo of them from the wedding. We have some friends that I want to surprise with framed photos of them with their spouses once we have time to pick out some frames (we just got our photo disk in May).
    Anniversary
  • It s not necessary to include a photo but I think that if you got them back in time that it would be nice to send a group photo of the guest with the two of you. I'd be more likely to toss one of just the bride and groom and less likely to toss one that I was in.

If you do get them back, you could always try making them half size with 2 per photo size, sometimes easier said than done. If you have a program where you can kind of make a collage, resize two photos (proportionately) to 3x4 and put two together for a 4x6 print at Walgreeens/Walmart/etc. You would still have to cut them, but it would only be 1 cut down the middle. You can also take the printed photos to a local office supply store's Copy & Print department and have them cut them for you. I work at Staples and our area charges $2 per cut per stack there and the machine can cut at least 100 sheets at a time, but I personally wouldn't cut more than 50 in a stack. I couldn't tell you what other places or areas charge but I would think it's similar pricing.

• Photo's are not necassary. In fact, aside from photo thank you cards, I've never seen someone send those out with general wedding thank yous. Bridesmaids, parents, yes, general guest, no/

Anniversary
  • Thank you everyone! Looks like I have to get cracking on sending my cards ASAP now that I longer have an excuse to delay! :)
  • Our photographer gave us our digital photos rather quickly.  I printed them off and gave group or couple shots to those applicable people.  I did have to buy bigger envelopes at Staples....I think it was the photo envelopes.  If I wasn't able to get the photos quickly from our photographer, I would've skipped it.  It's more important to get that TY card out sooner rather than later.
  • Sending a thank you card is huge! I didn't receive any from other weddings we attended. Sending a thank you is important.

We received our wedding photos pretty quickly. I went to walgreens or cvs for fast prints. Not great quality but the inexpensive and convenience factor won. If we had a photo of the guest/couple by themselves or with us we included it with the thank you card. We also included in every card a picture of us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I picked a photo to have retouched by our photographer first (within a week of the wedding) and then had it printed 3.5x5 at Nations Photo Lab. Most of my wedding guests were family and I know they appreciated the photo. We just put it in with the thank you cards that i had already designed, printed and hand written. The whole process took only a few weeks.
  • You don't have to include photos, but you do have to get your thank-you notes written and sent right away.
  • I went to a wedding and they included a photo of us from the reception with the thank you card - that was really sweet. But usually you won't get them back in time.

We're not doing a photo thank you card (a photo of us I mean). We won't get our photos back in time, and it's just another expense I don't care about. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards