Wedding Etiquette Forum

Written TY notes matter!

My grandmother generously purchased my wedding dress, which we picked out a few weeks ago.  I thanked my grandmother profusely on FaceTime in the bridal salon, and again when I emailed her some of the dress info.  But (at the urging of some Knotties) I also wrote her a physical TY card.

She called me today to thank me for the "lovely card."  She said card-writing is a dying art, and it will take me far in life.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Written TY notes matter!

• I got a written TY from a kid I wrote a letter of rec for this year, and he got into the school he wanted. I was very impressed. He also said something mildly insulting about people from other countries one day. I called him out on it, and he came to me later to apologize for what he said. That kid was raised well.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I plan to be a really strict thank-you card mom someday (as my own was). People just love getting mail, plus it's a nice way to say, "yep, that thing arrived in the mail" without making someone ask if you got it (which is always awkward because then it feels like you're fishing for the thank you).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I wish my mom would have been strict about TY notes. It's so hard to force myself to write them, but I know how important they are.
  • I wish my mom would have been strict about TY notes. It's so hard to force myself to write them, but I know how important they are.
    My mom only made us do them for a handful of things - Graduations, Confirmation, that may have been it. Showers and weddings are a given, but not for birthdays or regularly occurring events.  We always got thank you cards from my uncle for his kid's birthday/Christmas gifts. I'm going to try and get into it more I think. 
    Anniversary
  • I come from a very strict thank you note family. We were required as kids to hand write thank you notes for just about everything. It is something I still do to this day.

My dad's friend owned a condo at the beach that he graciously let us use every summer when I was growing up. He sold it when I was a teenager and told my dad a few years later that one of the things he missed the most since selling the condo was the lovely thank you notes he used to get from us every summer. People don't forget these things.
  • biggrouchbiggrouch member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2014
    He also said something mildly insulting about people from other countries one day. I called him out on it, and he came to me later to apologize for what he said. That kid was raised well.
    ...Of course, not as well as kids who don't say negative things about foreigners in the first place. But better than people who are both xenophobes AND negligent thank-you-note writers, I guess!
  • biggrouch said:
    He also said something mildly insulting about people from other countries one day. I called him out on it, and he came to me later to apologize for what he said. That kid was raised well.
    ...Of course, not as well as kids who don't say negative things about foreigners in the first place. But better than people who are both xenophobes AND negligent thank-you-note writers, I guess!

Well, OBVIOUSLY not having said it would have been better. But he's a kid. Kids say stupid things sometimes. Adults, too. The point is that he had the decency to own up to his mistake and come to me of his own accord with the apology. I see that pretty rarely on a daily basis from the kids.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks for the reminder! I just dropped the thank you note to my dad in the mailbox. :)

• I agree, thank you notes are important and a lovely gesture! 

My parents always taught me to write thank you cards for everything, and I am glad they taught me that.
    My parents hosted an engagement party for us on June 7th and I wrote all 65 thank you cards the next day and sent them all out. Some guests actually called to say thank you for the thank you! They were shocked they got them so quickly and that they were handwritten. 
  • AddieCake said:

biggrouch said:

Well, OBVIOUSLY not having said it would have been better. But he's a kid. Kids say stupid things sometimes. Adults, too. The point is that he had the decency to own up to his mistake and come to me of his own accord with the apology. I see that pretty rarely on a daily basis from the kids.

That's really commendable of him.
    I see that pretty rarely on a daily basis from some adults!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards