Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Brick Oven Pizza Catering

I originally posted this on outdoor weddings but thing it's better suited for here...Random question...I have posted before about food for our wedding.  For some reason I am just not settled with the traditional beef and chicken buffet type of thing.  I just feel it doesn't go with our personality.  But I also want to make sure that our guests are properly hosted (hence all of the questions regarding food and beverage).  Today I was doing research and came across a brick oven pizza truck that does events such as weddings, engagements, concerts, graduations, etc.  The do high end brick oven pizzas on site.  It is awesome looking!  And honestly totally us.  We are having an outdoor/backyard (nice) wedding.  Starting 4/5ish ceremony.  Hosted cocktail hour to follow reception (coffee, soda, water, beer, wine, liquor, iced tea, lemonade).  If we went with this food idea we would be doing appetizers consisting of veggie shooters, fruit display, bruschetta, meatballs and a meat/cracker/cheese display.  After the cocktail hour we would go into dinner which would consist of the gourmet brick oven pizzas, salad, breadsticks, and probably two chaffed pasta dishes (alfredo and zitti w/sauce).  We would have a dessert table with the wedding/cupcake tower for later.  As a guest at a meal time event how would you feel about this?  Would you think it was different and fun?  Or would you be unhappy with the choice?

Re: Brick Oven Pizza Catering

• Options
    Sounds fun and sounds like you ae having a ton of food so I think you are fine
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would be thrilled to attend a wedding with a food option like this! 
  • Options
    How many pizzas do they turn out? How quickly? How do they keep them warm? Can everyone eat at once? How much of a gap between serving the first table and the last?

I love the food ideas, but every food truck wedding I've attended has been a disaster. It's not polite to your guests for them to be waiting in line while pizzas are made. And don't take the trucks word for it- ok, they can serve everyone in half an hour? How many slices per person is that? Ask for references from similar events too.
  • Options
    As I said pizza wouldn't be the only food available.  And from them, the customer reviews that I've seen and even local newspaper and tv news footage the seem to handle a crowd quite well.  As they helped serve 1,700 flood victims.  The whole set up I believe has an area to keep the pizzas warm and it was stated that they were serving guests within a half hour of setting up.  
  • Options
    But handling a crowd is different than a wedding where people all expect to sit down and eat at the same time. I just think you should be asking lots of questions along those lines before committing.
  • Options
    They say, and from their customer reviews confirming, that they have a complete buffet set up in front of the brick oven with a system in place to ensure that the pizzas are hot, fresh and no waiting. Plus they make and hand toss the pizzas on site in front of everyone. 
  • Options
    I love, love, love pizza. Seriously, it is my favorite thing. For a wedding though? It would seem a little causal and it can be messy.  So I really think it's a know your crowd kind of thing.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You're having 100 guests, right? I would just make absolutely sure that they can serve everyone as quickly as your typical buffet would. When food trucks normally serve a crowd, it's a constant stream of 1 or 2 people placing orders and expecting to wait for their food to be prepared. But wedding buffets normally have 16-20 people or so come up from the first two tables, and as soon as they're through the line the next two tables are invited up. Those people want to eat RIGHT NOW, so anything that's gone needs to be replenished by the time they get there from their table. They may be ready to serve within 30 minutes of initially arriving, but how quickly do they replenish each pizza that runs out? Nobody should have to resort to eating pasta when they really wanted pizza, just because the pizza's gone right now.

Otherwise, I love the brick oven pizza idea. You might look into an option for anyone gluten intolerant/Celiac.

• Options
    Can they do table service instead of a buffet? Waiting on line sucks and with 100 ppl thats a long line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Please invite me. That is all.
  • Options

Otherwise, I love the brick oven pizza idea. You might look into an option for anyone gluten intolerant/Celiac.
    This. I love pizza and love this idea, but I would make sure there are gluten-free options if any of your guests are sensitive/intolerant to it.
  • Options
    that sounds awesome! We also went the food truck route :) but it was a bbq food truck. They had the smoker on site, but had the side dishes and everything prepared. The smoker was mostly to maintain freshness of everything.

I would say as long as you have other options and they have everything prepped you should be set. If they are used to doing these type of events then I would think they would have a system for dealing with a wedding setting. All questions to ask them of course!
  • Options
    Well I discussed it with my family this weekend.  I didn't think their response would be so positive.  But after telling my dad that I am thinking about doing away with the tradition chicken and beef and told him about the pizza idea he totally loved it.  Loved it so much that he offered to help pay.  Which was surprising.  I do realize that I need to go over the logistics and make sure that they can handle the situation.  However, like I said, it's not some pop stand that isn't professional and hasn't done weddings/events before.  As far as dietary needs/concerns, that has been taken into consideration as well.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards