Snarky Brides

WTF should I do with my life?

Katie wants more post so decide my fate, plzkthx. (sorry, this got rambley)

So, for the past 2 or 3 semesters I have been having a bitch of a time at school.  Not because it's hard or I'm over worked, but because I just don't have the motivation or desire to try in my classes.  

A large part of this is because I've slowly realized that A) I am not one of those people who will ever be fulfilled by their job, it just isn't in my blood and 2) I would love to be able to stay home as a housewife in order to maintain our home and take care of our animals.  We've done a lot of thinking and this is definitely plausible.

Right now, I'm on track for graduating with 2 majors which I could continue, but I don't really want to.  I hardly have anything invested in the second major (it's not even declared yet) but the 2 majors are so similar and intertwined it almost feels like a waste not to do it.  But, if I'm not planning on doing anything with these majors in the long run, does it really matter?  If something were to happen and I needed to find a job, would being able to say I have 2 BAs make that much of a difference over having one?

So, do I spend the next 3 semesters taking 5 classes per semester to graduate with 2 majors?  Do I spend the next 2 semesters taking 3 to 4 classes per semester to graduate with one major?  

It is very tempting to just quit all together, but that would be a bad idea in the long run... right?

Re: WTF should I do with my life?

• Personally I would finish so that you graduate, and then reassess.
  • But with one or two majors?  I'm definitely graduating even if I will want to stab my own foot by the time I do.
  • I would finish at least one. If the other is only a few more classes, then decide on those after you finish the first. 

You should always at least have one degree to fall back on. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm at a toss up because I'm the type that would kill myself over two majors because I always choose the hardest route for myself. But at the same time I think, why torture yourself? You could just as easily get the one major, go out strong, and be proud of having a degree in one thing, to me that's a big deal.

I just remember when I was in school, I did soo much better the semesters I took less classes, I was not a good student when spread thin. If you can do it, then do it.
    Photobucket
  • Was there a specific purpose in getting to BAs? (Does two majors = 2 BAs?).

How much more work is it to get two versus one?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wtf-should-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fc21e0aa-894a-4de7-b6b3-08520fedc531Post:4704e29f-504a-4e38-96e5-9b39245e93cf">Re: WTF should I do with my life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As someone who went back to school after finding my first "career" unfulfilling , <strong>I guess the key for me would be whether I would essentially be able to get the same job with the 2 different degrees, or would it open you up to 2 possibly different fields.</strong> If it won't, I'd probably do the single major, and try to finish it as soon as possible, just to be done.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This makes a whole hell of a lot of sense.  They are both focused primarily on the same field so it wouldn't necessarily help with getting different <em>types</em> of jobs.

</div><div>I'm just concerned being able to say "I did this AND this!" would help out more than I'm guessing when it comes to potential interviews.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wtf-should-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fc21e0aa-894a-4de7-b6b3-08520fedc531Post:2c2b029f-a0d5-4ae6-b265-8875f4cfd9cb">Re: WTF should I do with my life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would finish at least one. If the other is only a few more classes, then decide on those after you finish the first.  You should always at least have one degree to fall back on. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

This.  You will never regret finishing that first bachelor's degree.  I took longer than the average bear to get my BBA (graduated at 27), and I would recommend finishing at least one degree.  No guarantees, but at least you have that in your pocket.  And if it really is just a few classes more, get the double major and then reassess, as Nebb suggested.  I have a cousin who is 33 and finally going back to finish her degree, that was always so close, but "I'll finish it in a few years" became 2 years, then 5 years, then 10 years.  She's kicking herself for not finishing earlier. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Number, they would both be bachelors in Arts, but they are considered 2 separate BAs.  One for art history, one for museum studies.

Reddy, my fiance is totally taking the hard route.  He is doing three majors, graduating early, and hasn't had one semester with less than 20 credits.  I cannot comprehend this.
    As far as for me, my grades definitely suffer the more classes I'm taking which is why I think one major would be a better option because I can really focus on the few classes I have left.
  • I'd just finish with both. You're almost there, right?
  • The difference between one major and two is 7 or 15 classes, so 2 light semesters or 3 heavy semesters for whoever asked (number?)
  • based on what they are in I would get them both since I think they could theoretically make you more qualified than other people and/or allow you to qualify for a larger range of jobs.

But I liked going to school so I am likely a little biased!

• Yeah, heavy vs. light semesters is a factor. Are you working at the same time?
  • Oh, in that case, just finish the one. Art History is the main one, right?
  • reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wtf-should-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fc21e0aa-894a-4de7-b6b3-08520fedc531Post:95d18dd0-57af-4cda-9aa0-391c1e98e14f">Re: WTF should I do with my life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Number, they would both be bachelors in Arts, but they are considered 2 separate BAs.  One for art history, one for museum studies. Reddy, my fiance is totally taking the hard route.  <strong>He is doing three majors, graduating early, and hasn't had one semester with less than 20 credits.</strong>  I cannot comprehend this. As far as for me, my grades definitely suffer the more classes I'm taking which is why I think one major would be a better option because I can really focus on the few classes I have left.
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

<div>Blah! That is crazy! Is he the one that put the 2 major idea in your head or are you both over-achievers?</div><div>
    </div><div>I remember trying to be full time for my parent's medical insurance, but I was a pussy and couldn't do it while working full time too. I had to go down to part time and lose the insurance, and then I never finished, leaving to all the guilt and frustration that Les was talking about, so definitely agree you should finish at least one!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Museum studies is the main one which would allow for a job in museum education and the like as opposed to something more focused on curating.

We are both working yes.  Which is another factor, because I could get more hours and I would be paying less in tuition both of which would be great for saving for the future.

Reddy, no my adviser pointed out how similar the majors are but once you factor in all the unique credits you need it gets more complicated.  I started with "hey, that shouldn't be too hard!" and now I'm at "fvck, I don't want to do this!"  
    Scott has had maybe one time where he thought "gee, this is a little stressful."  Jerk.
  • Then I would say get the credits you need for one and then reassess. If you were only doing school I would say do them both but I worked during my last two years of undergrad and I know the stress of it. I would want it done too.
  • Definitely finish one. I haven't used my major since I graduated but having a college degree opens the door to a lot of jobs/interviews. If you can pull of the second I would, just because it will make you look like a more committed/ambitious person on resumes
  • You have already put work into both your majors-go ahead and finish them both. I understand your feelings, I think.

I had no desire to stay home with kids when I was school the first time, I just had no clue as to exactly what it was I wanted to do in life. I felt a lot of pressure to accomplish something professionally and had no clear goal. I went to school after collage to be a paralegal honestly because it was (in the 80's) a higher paying, in demand field and a friend had done it and got a job while still in the training. I ended up going to law school because I had a background in the field and felt like I was doing the majority of the work an attorney did so why not get paid for it. The rest is history.

I mention all of this because my point is, don't drive yourself crazy about your future. Your path will reveal itself. 
  • I would just continue and graduate. A Bachelor's degree is sort of the minimum requirement for a lot of jobs so I think it's a really good thing to have. Are you older than the average college undergrad? Not trying to be nosy, just wondering because I know it SUCKS to have to go back to school when you're over 22 or so. I graduated from college in 2006 with an easy peasy degree in Communications and was fortunate to get a pretty good job right away, which I had for 4 years until my job was outsourced to the Philippines and India. Now I'm back in school trying to turn my sort of useless degree/background in publishing (all of that kind of technical work is going overseas =/) into a useful certificate in paralegal studies. I SO didn't want to finish undergrad at times too! But I think it will be better for you in the long run if you have that degree!
  • I also found myself halfway though school with no desire to continue because my ideal job would be to stay home as a housewife and mom.  The main thing that kept me going was the fact that I had already invested so much money into my education. I would suggest finishing the major that hold more interest to you first, then you can finish the second one if you still feel motivated. I think it would be more important to have better grades in one major than not so great grades in two majors.  For what it is worth I had one major, graduated this past May, and am working very happily in a very unrealted field.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards