Wedding Party
Options

Close friend said "maybe" to bridesmaid role

I became engaged 3 weeks ago (wedding planned for June 2015) and last week asked a friend of mine who I have been very close with since high school (14 years) to be a bridesmaid. She moved out-of-state about 3 years ago but we remain close, though we aren't able to keep up with each other as closely as we'd both like. She said that she would love to, but never expected that I would ask her and has already committed to being a bridesmaid for a friend from college who became engaged the day after me and is also getting married next year. My friend said that she needs to check which month the college friend is getting married because she would be unable to fly to 2 weddings in the same month (money is not an issue, but time away from work is). I told my friend that I would not pressure or expect her to be at anything except my wedding and would completely understand if she cannot attend the bridal shower, bachelorette weekend, etc. I said that the only thing that matters is that she is standing up there with me on my wedding day but if she feels that cannot commit to being a BM, I hope that she can still attend the wedding. She said that she would have to see about even attending because of the other wedding and would get back to me soon.

I am sad because I am having a small wedding party of only the people who are most meaningful to me and she is one of them. I feel as though she's forgotten about all of the times that I have been there for her when she's needed me, but know that it is improper to her say this and make her feel guilty. I've often told her over the years that she would be a bridesmaid when the time came and feel a bit hurt at her response. So, please help: how long should I wait for her response? I want to plan a get-to-know-each-other brunch for my bridesmaids (and Skype her in if she can't attend) but I can't wait forever. How can I ask her for her answer without seeming pushy and what should I say if she can't even attend the wedding? Thanks! 

Re: Close friend said "maybe" to bridesmaid role

• Options
    I became engaged 3 weeks ago (wedding planned for June 2015) and last week asked a friend of mine who I have been very close with since high school (14 years) to be a bridesmaid. She moved out-of-state about 3 years ago but we remain close, though we aren't able to keep up with each other as closely as we'd both like. She said that she would love to, but never expected that I would ask her and has already committed to being a bridesmaid for a friend from college who became engaged the day after me and is also getting married next year. My friend said that she needs to check which month the college friend is getting married because she would be unable to fly to 2 weddings in the same month (money is not an issue, but time away from work is). I told my friend that I would not pressure or expect her to be at anything except my wedding and would completely understand if she cannot attend the bridal shower, bachelorette weekend, etc. I said that the only thing that matters is that she is standing up there with me on my wedding day but if she feels that cannot commit to being a BM, I hope that she can still attend the wedding. She said that she would have to see about even attending because of the other wedding and would get back to me soon.

I am sad because I am having a small wedding party of only the people who are most meaningful to me and she is one of them. I feel as though she's forgotten about all of the times that I have been there for her when she's needed me, but know that it is improper to her say this and make her feel guilty. I've often told her over the years that she would be a bridesmaid when the time came and feel a bit hurt at her response. So, please help: how long should I wait for her response? I want to plan a get-to-know-each-other brunch for my bridesmaids (and Skype her in if she can't attend) but I can't wait forever. How can I ask her for her answer without seeming pushy and what should I say if she can't even attend the wedding? Thanks! 
    Your friend is doing everything right.  She has a prior commitment, and it would be incredibly rude to just ditch the college friend.  She's looking into it, and has been completely honest with you from the get go.  She said she would get back to you soon, is there any reason you think she won't?

You have a year until the wedding  Relax.  There's no reason to have a get-to-know-each-other event immediately.

And if she can't attend the wedding?  "Oh I'm so sorry, but I understand.  I'll miss you, but I know you'll be there in spirit!  Let's plan a girls weekend afterwards and I can show you pictures and you can update me on what's going on in your life!"

It's a bummer, but I don't see what's so difficult about this.
    Anniversary

• Options
    A lot of people say you should wait to even ask people until closer to the wedding so I would give her some time. You're not supposed to "replace" someone who cant be in your WP either so just ask whoever you want to ask and wait to see what everyone says. There's really nothing you can do.
  • Options

Your wedding is not for a year. Just relax and she will let you know when she can. Since you have been engaged 3 weeks, you couldn't have asked her that long ago. Just plan your brunch- she is out of town and doesn't need to skype in for that. 

What to say if she can't be a BM: " I'm sorry to hear that but of course I understand! When are you next in town so we can catch up?"

What to say if she can't come the wedding: "I'm sorry to hear that but of course I understand! When are you next in town so we can catch up?"
  • Options
    How has she forgotten about the times you have been there for her by having another commitment already? Is she supposed to tell the other bride that something better came along?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    From someone who has in two weddings last year, I will admit I was extremely stressed out, and the weddings were 3 months apart. They took up SO much of my time and money, so I can understand her being hesitant; and she is honestly probably feeling overwhelmed.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with her "forgetting" about the times you have been there for her. I imagine that she is incredibly happy for you, but sometimes other peoples engagements and weddings are at inconvenient times for those we wish to have involved.

I would suggest calling her and having an honest conversation with her. Say you don't want to pressure her to be in the wedding, or even attend if she cannot. That you truly hope that she can be a part of your big day, and ask her how she thinks she can make it possible. But that if she cannot do it, then you understand.

A good way to look at this would be to be grateful that she is being honest about possible conflicts she may have from the beginning. Instead of 2 months before the wedding saying that she can no longer be a part of it.

It does really stink that she isn't able to just say YES! without any hesitation :( you normally don't expect these sort of responses. But, in the end, she does have a right to turn it down without it meaning she doesn't wish that she could have a part in your big day.

• Options
    It's a bummer that your friend didn't automatically agree to be your bridesmaid, yes.

But on the other hand, she does have another commitment (another wedding, at that!) which can be very stressful time-wise and financially, but wouldn't it be more hurtful if she did accept and then pulled out because of her other commitments?  At least she's being honest and letting you know that there's a potential conflict up front rather than springing it on you later.
  • Options
    Good attitude!  For now, sit back and enjoy the engagement.

Isn't it the worst when moms are right all along?  ;)
    Anniversary

• Options
    Ha, seriously, I should just tell my mum that she's right on everything from the get go so that I have more time for Michael McDonald's interests from the above GIF!!
  • Options
    Ha, seriously, I should just tell my mum that she's right on everything from the get go so that I have more time for Michael McDonald's interests from the above GIF!!

Ha! Wish I could get my kids to feel this way!
  • Options
    Thanks, all, for your thoughtful and honest opinions :) 

Its difficult for a compulsive early-planner like me not to overreact, so thanks for putting me in my place! I certainly do not want to put a strain on my friend or our relationship. Everyone is right (and my mum too, as much as it pains me to say it!) and I'll just hope for the best, accept the outcome and enjoy the rest of my planning with no hard feelings!
    This is an awesome response. You win today. 
  • Options
    So sweet of you to say! Nice that there are so many lovely, helpful people here :)
  • Options
    Thanks, all, for your thoughtful and honest opinions :) 

Its difficult for a compulsive early-planner like me not to overreact, so thanks for putting me in my place! I certainly do not want to put a strain on my friend or our relationship. Everyone is right (and my mum too, as much as it pains me to say it!) and I'll just hope for the best, accept the outcome and enjoy the rest of my planning with no hard feelings!
    You can do plenty of planning without knowing if she'll be in the wedding. As for the brunch, in the grand scheme of things it's really not that big of a deal. Your bridesmaids don't have to be friends, it's cool if they are but if they don't already know each other there is a good chance they won't see each other again after your wedding either.  So don't let that be something you stress over.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So sweet of you to say! Nice that there are so many lovely, helpful people here :)

***SITB*****

Imagine that! And here we always get told everyone here is so rude!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    As a fellow super early planner, I feel your pain! 
  • Options
    @AddieCake- Rude? Not at all. Honest, sure, but sometimes its so much easier to get the blunt advice of helpful, anonymous posters than that of people who are too close to or have vested interest in your wedding. I think that Knotties are just saying the things that some of our friends and family are thinking...only in this forum we don't have to deal with a lifetime of hurt feelings and awkward holidays afterward :) 
  • Options
    See, now I'm almost suspicious of you. Haha!
  • Options
    Ha ha :) I don't think that one can be offended when they ask others' opinions but don't like the response. If I'm that upset by posters' replies, I have bigger problems in life than choosing my bridal party! 
  • Options
    Ha ha :)I don't think that one can be offended when they ask others' opinions but don't like the response. If I'm that upset by posters' replies, I have bigger problems in life than choosing my bridal party! 
    Oh yeah, you're totally new to these parts. Stick around and you'll see how wrong you are! :)

Stick around anyway -- you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders!
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    SITB Don't tell anyone, this is the Mean Girls site, or didn't you know? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards