Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Foundation Help - Makeup

I've decided to do my own makeup for my wedding because I can't justify spending nearly $100 to have someone do it for me.  I've always been good with eye makeup so I'm not concerned with that.  However, I have never been able to find a foundation that doesn't make me eventually look like I have paint caked onto my face.  Does anyone have any suggestions of a foundation that will go on flawlessly and photograph well?  I have decent skin so I don't need a ton of coverage.  Thanks for any help!!

Re: Foundation Help - Makeup

• Options
    Not a huge make up wearer but have you considered going to MAC or some place similar and talking to the consultants there? They may be able to offer some suggestions and you may even be able to try some things out before you buy.

• Options
    I like the Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation, you should give that a shot. If you don't like it, you can always return it to Sephora or Ulta.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I would probably go with a BB cream, which is a moisturizer with foundation. It is much lighter so it is so much easier to blend in. I would finish with a powder to make it last the whole day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I have seen several articles that recommend L'Oreal liquid foundation.  It is sold in drug stores and grocery stores, and comes is a wide range of colors.  I use it, but I have old skin!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I think what makeup brand works best for you, especially when it comes to foundation, is entirely based on your skin type and tone. I love my Chanel foundation, but my mom tried it and hates it. The best thing to do is schedule a make over at a makeup counter that interests you. They usually do it for free if you buy something. I think you're probably going to have to go heavier than you'd like to have it look good in photos, though. Models and celebrities get air brush make-up for a reason.

And as much as I'd rather go to a makeup counter for someone to do my makeup before buying a new product, @beethery is right about Sephora. They let you buy, try, and return if you don't like it. You can buy several, try them all, photograph them inside and outside, then see which one you like best. Return the rest.
  • Options
    I love the Smashbox foundation. It gives light, all-day coverage. I did my own makeup for my wedding and the other thing I really recommend it Urban Decay setting spray. You spray it on your face after you finish and it makes everything stick. I looked the same at 1 am as I did 10 hours earlier.

They'll put makeup on you for free at Sephora too, btw.
  • Options

I would probably go with a BB cream, which is a moisturizer with foundation. It is much lighter so it is so much easier to blend in. I would finish with a powder to make it last the whole day.

Ditto this. And the suggestion to try a few at Sephora before you buy one.

• Options
    I love Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation, found at Sephora. If you buff it out just right with your foundation brush it looks airbrushed and it holds up all day. Pricing is middle of the road. Texture is somewhere between cream and whipped. Not heavy at all although when you first squeeze it out of the tube, seems like it would be. Also if you do end up going bb cream or tinted moisturizer instead, Laura mercier makes a fabulous one but I personally don't think that would hold up all day.
  • Options
    Also, 2nd @emmyg65‌ vote on the urban decay setting spray. It is really awesome!
  • Options
    I use Bobbi Brown BB cream (from Sephora) and I love it. It's light-weight and blends very well!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I use Revlon Color stay right now for days I need full coverage or nights out. It last forever and doesn't cake up.

If I wanted something higher end I would probably go with MAC or Arbonne

• Options
    Go somewhere like Sephora that has a lot of different brands.  As much as I love MAC, you should go somewhere with different types of products and brands so you can try as many things at once.  Just walk in and ask for a consultant.  Going on Saturdays tends to be bad though--it's always really crowded.  You'll probably get more attention on a weekday.
  • Options
    I highly recommend MAC. I've been using it for years and I love it. I also have super sensitive skin.
  • Options
    I would totally check out Sephora (if you live near one). I went in a few weeks ago and their new-ish color matching system is phenomenal! It takes all the guess work and anxiety out of finding foundations that will match. It also has a filtering system so if you want full coverage or something light, it'll tell you all the proper tones in each brand. 

I enjoy makeup and have a lot of experience as a makeup wearer but your wedding is something where a little bit of professional advice is a good thing. They even gave me 4 samples to test out so that I can try wearing them all day. 

Tell the consultant that you'll be getting married and you're looking for makeup for your wedding day that doesn't have SPF. 

Finally, I'm gonna second/third everyone saying UD Setting Spray. It works wonders at smoothing out foundation, making powder look natural, and keeping your makeup on for hours longer than without. 
  • Options
    I love Estee Lauder Double Wear Light. When I'm looking for heavier coverage, I use Estee Lauder Double Wear. Estee Lauder tends to be viewed as makeup for older women, but these foundations are amazing!

If you want a setting powder, try Makeup Forever HD Microfinish Powder - it's apparently designed to look good photographed, I just think it finishes foundation nicely. 

Also - UD Setting Spray works wonders.
  • Options
    Please please please DO NOT USE Makeup Forever HD Microfinish Powder as crimsonsaffron has suggested!!!  I'm a making up artist and I NEVER use this powder when photos are sure to be taken, let alone wedding ones! This powder stays on top of the skin and whatever products you have on and leaves a white trail (like you just sniffed coke lol). Google "microfinish powder disasters" and you'll know what I'm talking about.

As for foundation it really depends on your skin type and skin undertone. From there on figure out if you want full or light coverage (I suggest something in between since you'll have photos taken). Also do you want a dewy look or a matte look? If you can tell me all these things then I'll suggest a foundation for you and a setting powder!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love Lancome- I'd suggest going to Sephora or Ulta though and talking to someone there about what works best for you
  • Options
    I use Mary Kay. The nice thing about it is they sell through consultants and have sample-sized everything, so no guessing what shade will look right.

If you don't like that, I would go with CoverGirl that you can just get over the counter.  I'm using that right now (so far, I like it pretty well), because I'm out of my MK stuff and haven't had a chance to order from my consultant. I did have to buy a second one before finding the right shade (reminded me why I love MK!), but it was like $10 so no biggie.
  • Options
    I use Garnier's BB cream on a daily basis. It's very afforadable and putting a bit of pressed powder on top of the cream really keeps it on for the hold day and it's light feeling!
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Another vote for Tarte Amazonian Clay. It lasts forever.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ulta has a great return policy (Sephora probably does too) so you can buy a few things to experiment with, and return the ones you don't love. Ask a store associate to help you pick out a foundation for your skin type, plus a primer and maybe a finishing spray or powder. Just make sure the person who helps you is a store employee and not a brand rep.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I would look at Ulta or Sephora as others have mentioned. Also, my SIL is a makeup artist and did my wedding makeup and one of the awesome tips I got from her is DON'T have any foundation with SPF in it. From what she told me it makes you look shiny and "blown out" in pictures, definitely something you don't want. On that note, I'd be wary of BB or CC creams because they usually contain SPF. Hope it helps!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards