Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it Weird to Not Get a Wedding Band??

babs0726babs0726 member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
My engagement ring is a beautiful 1 ct solitaire ring in a cathedral setting. FI is very happy with his choice and believes that a band or jacket would take away from it's beauty. We did go try some on to see and I agree with him. I did find one that matched perfectly and that I liked, but he didn't like it. I do not have much of an opinion on it, I don't really mind either way. Money is not a factor in this and I really don't care what people think, I'm sure they will think we are broke or something stupid like that. And part of me does want more bling! :) I just wanted to know what your guys' thoughts were on this! Have any of you just kept your engagement ring and got nothing else? Do you think I'll regret it?

Re: Is it Weird to Not Get a Wedding Band??

• Options
    A lot of people only wear one ring, whether it is a wedding band or their engagement ring that becomes a wedding ring. There is no rule that says you have to have a wedding band. Personally, I want one so that I can wear the band alone when I am doing more hands on working. It is a personal choice and either way you'd be fine. 

I believe @larrygaga is planning to not have a wedding band ewither because she likes the ring without it. 

• Options
    nope.  I didn't want one, but DH insisted.  I do not really like it and wear it on my right hand.  I prefer my e-ring.  It's a split band so it looks like 2 rings anyway.

I do wearing my grandmother's band under my e-ring. It's pretty thin and hard to see unless you are up close.    I don't really think of it has my wedding band, but on the rare times I do not have on my e-ring I like that grandma's wedding band is there instead.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    This is good to hear. I love my e-ring, and adding another band just seems like it'll look odd/feel too heavy...but then again maybe it's just something to get used to. It's a fairly simple solitaire e-ring, so it's not like women the world over haven't added bands to theirs before. So it's not objectively weird. Just weird to me in concept.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    My manager loved her e-ring and couldn't find any bands that she liked, so they actually had the diamond set into a different band that they designed together. The new band fit the size of the diamond a little better. For their wedding ceremony he just presented the ring back to her so they could do the ring portion of the ceremony.
  • Options
    I work with my hands and my e-ring gets in the way. I'm getting a simple wedding band so I can wear it to work and wear my e-ring at home/weekends.
  • Options
    Mine is kinda twisted so hard to find a wedding band.

• Options
    I want a wedding band but my e-ring is beautiful and intricate.  Everything I looked at in the stores didn't look right.  It took away from all of the beautiful detail of my e-ring.  So, I'm having a wedding ring made to compliment the e-ring.  I actually dropped my e-ring off yesterday so they can begin making the wedding band to match.  I met with a jewellry designer and he went over a few choices and drew up something perfect.  It's not much more then what I was looking at in the stores either.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's fine if you opt for just the e-ring and no wedding band. If you find yourself wanting one in the future, there's nothing stopping you from purchasing one down the road. 
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! You've all been so helpful!
  • Options
    I don't think they have to be worn together. If they don't go at ALL, I'd wear the e-ring on your right hand for the wedding itself, and the new wedding band on the left. If the go OK, I'd wear them together on the left just for that day. For every other day of your life I'd wear one or the other!
  • Options
    people have looked at my engagement ring and asked if I was wearing two rings, if my ring will stand alone, etc. I don't feel that I need a wedding band, especially since my fi spent more money than I would have liked on my engagement ring. The only thing I feel funny about is the wedding ceremony itself, like the symbolism of putting the rings on each other. How do you get around that?
  • Options
    So far I don't plan on getting one. My ring is lovely and really doesn't have room for another ring. Also, it just seems excessive to me and it won't mean anything. I will be getting just a plain band for days when I am not safe/comfortable with wearing my E-ring. I plan on just giving my ring back to FI so he can put it back on me during the ceremony!

My advice is don't do anything you don't want to do, no matter what society says. THE FACT IS that is a piece of jewelry and you are still getting married whether you have a wedding ring or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    AngusaurAngusaur member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited June 2014

This is my ring!
    Anything smaller gets swallowed, anything bigger is way too much for my finger. Unless I happen to find the perfect size/amount of sparkle band, I won't be getting one. I don't think it's weird at all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Angusaur-That's beautiful!!!

What I am noticing is most of you that are not getting a wedding band have an e-ring that has a lot going on and/or looks like it might already have a band on it.  My issue is that my ring is a very simple 1 ct solitaire, so I just am not sure what to do.  One side of me wants more bling but the other loves the simplicity and beauty of my ring by itself.  Ugh decisions decisions..
  • Options
    @babs0726 - My e ring is princess cut, but similar to yours (including the side prongs that make a wrap almost impossible). I had a really hard time finding a ring that went with it and I wasn't happy with one band because it looked unbalanced to me. I ended up getting two bands, one for either side. This is what it looks like:
  • Options

@babs0726 - My e ring is princess cut, but similar to yours (including the side prongs that make a wrap almost impossible). I had a really hard time finding a ring that went with it and I wasn't happy with one band because it looked unbalanced to me. I ended up getting two bands, one for either side. This is what it looks like:

This is what I did too. I also have the cathedral.

That being said, you don't have to get a band.
  • Options
    babs0726 said:
    Here are some pics of the ring.
    I'm pretty sure we have the exact same ring! (except mine is 1/2 carat)

I am getting a wedding band because I want want, but it would look absolutely fine without one.
  • Options
    Here is mine.
  • Options
    I won't be adding a wedding band either. I've talked about maybe adding something for my 1 year anniversary, but I'm not even sure about that.
  • Options
    You don't have to get a wedding band, but if you might want one... then do it! Just wear them on separate hands. My engagement ring has a marquise diamond, which may or may not look right with a band. If it doesn't, I'll very likely wear the engagement on the left and the band on the right, because my dominant hand is my right, and the band will probably be less obtrusive. It goes against tradition, but I"m not concerned with that. Also, I think it was fairly common in the past to wear the rings on separate hands. My FMIL does this. 
  • Options
    babs0726babs0726 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2014
    @ashley8918 I think we do have the same one!
  • Options
    You don't have to have one, but I think a plain simple thin platinum band would look perfectly nice with that ring. It's a very common setting and most times I see it people are wearing wedding bands. If you don't want one of course it's not necessary, but I don't think there's anything about your e ring that would make getting a band difficult.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards