Chit Chat

a big old mess of an invitation

I just received an email invitation for a "wedding" for this couple I know very, very distantly. I say "wedding" because it is actually a "wedding tour" (their words). As they are an international couple (neither from the UK), they are throwing wedding receptions in about 5 different places. This in and of itself isn't so bad, but I received an update from the groom that we all have to pay £20 each if we want to eat and it is BYOB. We are also strictly instructed to only attend our local party. We are also instructed to give them money and airmiles to help pay for this intercontinental wedding extravaganza as they cannot afford it (of course, this is through honeyfund). Any "leftover" money will pay for them to extend the tour to more destinations so (in their words) "Give big if you want us to come to your town".

Needless to say, Fi and I will be sending a card but be "busy" that day.

Re: a big old mess of an invitation

• What the actual $*&%?

I agree with sending a card but being "busy"- busy putting 40 pounds to good use elsewhere. 

• Of course they can't afford it.  Unless you are a millionaire what normal person can afford to throw 5 hosted parties around the world?

Do they think they are royalty/celebrities who people around the world are dying to see?

I think they need to wake up and realize that they are not that special.

• Uhm, they're not a band coming on tour to play for their fans. It's just a freaking wedding FFS.

I don't know that I'd even send a card...but I'm just spiteful like that :)
  • Wow. I just can't.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Uhm, they're not a band coming on tour to play for their fans. It's just a freaking wedding FFS.

I don't know that I'd even send a card...but I'm just spiteful like that :)
    I wouldn't send a card either.

• It is sad- I feel like nothing surprises me anymore with how tacky and self-absorbed people can be. Of course these people think they are SO popular that I am willing to pay for them to come visit me. The worst part is these aren't a bunch of skint aged 22 year olds who want money for their gap year, they are aged 45+. Not to conflate age with maturity, but one would think by 40 they would realise that not everyone thinks they are the centre of the universe.

This wedding is complete and utter etiquette omnishambles.
  • Where do people even come UP with these ideas?!?
    Anniversary

• I just received an email invitation for a "wedding" for this couple I know very, very distantly. I say "wedding" because it is actually a "wedding tour" (their words). As they are an international couple (neither from the UK), they are throwing wedding receptions in about 5 different places. This in and of itself isn't so bad, but I received an update from the groom that we all have to pay £20 each if we want to eat and it is BYOB. We are also strictly instructed to only attend our local party. We are also instructed to give them money and airmiles to help pay for this intercontinental wedding extravaganza as they cannot afford it (of course, this is through honeyfund). Any "leftover" money will pay for them to extend the tour to more destinations so (in their words) "Give big if you want us to come to your town".

Needless to say, Fi and I will be sending a card but be "busy" that day.
    The friendship would be about to become MORE distant. They wouldn't get jack shit except a resounding NO rsvp from me.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• It's just so ridiculous. 
  • Why would it even matter if you only attend your local party if you're paying your own way? Not that that's the most baffling piece of the whole thing... just... weird. 

And yeah, I would not be wasting 4 bucks on a card for that shit show. Maybe a Facebook wall post.

• No gift for you. How do you know these people?! Where else is their tour taking them?

So odd.
  • Nobody has any shame anymore. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • wow... just wow...
  • Of course they can't afford it.  Unless you are a millionaire what normal person can afford to throw 5 hosted parties around the world?

Do they think they are royalty/celebrities who people around the world are dying to see?

They aren't even throwing hosted parties... they all charge a cover and are BYOB!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Ew.  Just ew.
  • Not even celebrities do "wedding tours."

So, this will pretty much be an International PPD event. Just when you think you've heard it all...
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• This is absolutely ridiculous. How can they even say "give big if..." wow I mean talk about wedding etiquette breach!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Of course they can't afford it.  Unless you are a millionaire what normal person can afford to throw 5 hosted parties around the world?

this! So totally this! You got married- you didn't put out a Platinum album.
  • At first when I was reading the post I thought "Wow, what a cool idea!" but having to PAY not only for attending the party but to give more money towards other ones you aren't even allowed to go to???  That is seriously bold of them...wow. 

You also say you know them very, very distantly...I would imagine they invited everyone they could think of in order to 'raise' enough money. Sheesh! 
  • I'd be tempted to go just to see the shit show....

But I'd probably decide that it's not worth the investment.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards