Wedding Woes

I have orthodontia questions: Quad Helix

So DD has a mild crossbite and her dentist has recommended she get this quad helix to correct it.  I've read up on this but wondering if anyone has had this for their kid and how it went.  Supposedly it only stays on for a few months and then hopefully she won't need anything more invasive down the road.

Re: I have orthodontia questions: Quad Helix

• Jean0715Jean0715 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    So its pretty much a pallet expander, right? If it is, my cousin had one (who lived with us for 3 of the months she had one). Its very annoying at first (think lisp and figuring out how to eat for a few days) but DD will get use to it. Then its just a matter of cranking it every day to slowly expand the pallet. For my cousin, it wasn't painful. She said that she felt slight pressure. Very few times it bothered her enough to take an Advil and she was fine. Her braces are now off and her teeth are perfect. If anything its more of an inconvenience because of the maintenance (remembering to crank it) 

Edit: I just googled pictures. Not what I was thinking, but looks super similar. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I don't know anything about this specifically, but I know our dentist has said that they are starting things earlier because they have found better results.  I know they like to hit girls before their first period. 
  • Heffalump said:

So DD has a mild crossbite and her dentist has recommended she get this quad helix to correct it.  I've read up on this but wondering if anyone has had this for their kid and how it went.  Supposedly it only stays on for a few months and then hopefully she won't need anything more invasive down the road.

I'm not sure if this us the same device, but as a child I had my pallet expanded twice and it was awful, sorry to say.

First, it was extremely annoying to have that thing sitting at the roof of my mouth, with just enough room between my mouth and it to get food stuck up there, phlegm stuck up there, etc. I had a speech impediment for a while and I was constantly struggling with saliva building up between the expander and my mouth. . .gross and annoying!

And it was painful as fuck, and I have a high tolerance for pain. Each time my parents cranked that thing wider, I had very bad sinus pressure and pain and headaches that lasted several days.

It also did nothing really for my crowding issues- small jaw, normal sized teeth- and any small advantage in space in my mouth was rendered null once my wisdom teeth came in at 19 years old. . .hence why I'm doing Invisalign as an adult, after like a decade of braces as a kid.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Sorry for those of you who suffered through a palate expander, but it's not that.

And we've heard that too, 6.  I think I was in middle school when I got my braces, and now I see second and third graders running around with them.  Kids these days!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards