New York-Upstate
Options

Do I need a liquor license??

My fiance and I have decided to do a rather small (less than 100 people) very simple wedding at Windfall Dutch Barns out near Cooperstown. We're hiring a food truck for our caterer... they do have a liquor license but it's for beer and wine only. My fiance is a big beer lover and I really wanted my liquor so we're probably going to just do it ourselves... bringing in a keg, some bottled beer, some wine, and liquor options with mixers and having it be serve your self style. Our venue told us that we only required liability insurance for this, other people have told us that we'll need a one day liquor license... does anyone know?? I've even researched the law a little to see if it says anything and it's silent... I'm about to call the State Liquor Authority but I wanted to see if anyone on here has had any experience with this before. Because if we don't need a liquor license I would be tempted to higher a bartender friend to serve... but I don't know if by doing that would definitely require us to need a license.

Re: Do I need a liquor license??

• Options
    I can check with my dad to see what his work told him.  We are renting a building there for my reception.  We are paying a guy to bartend to keep thing under control (and be sure to not over serve).  I think the paperwork just asked us first if we were having booze there, but I will ask him what they told him the process was.  I wouldn't think that you would need a 1 day liquor license if you are providing it for your guests, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Thank you I appreciate it. I think, based on what I've been told that we don't need a liquor license as long as we are supplying it... even if we hired someone to serve it, which is what I think we're leaning toward doing. But any information you can find out would be very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards