Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcakes=Tacky????

My Maid of Honor and my Future MIL are both telling me that cupcakes at our wedding is "The worst idea ever" saying it will be "too messy" and "sooooo untraditional".

I thought it was a great idea since close to half of our wedding guests will be under age 10.

*Sigh* I guess I just want some reassurance that this isn't a horrible idea.

Re: Cupcakes=Tacky????

• edited December 2011
    OF COURSE IT ISN'T A BAD IDEA!!
    Number one, cupcakes are just individual sized cakes that don't require forks. If your MOH and MIL can't eat cupcakes without making a mess, that's their problem. You can have whatever dessert at your wedding you want. Or none at all. But cupcakes are not that big of a deal. You could be going down the aisle in a lime green mini dress at a hippie commune and serve wheat grass shots instead of wedding cake. THAT would be untraditional. But still totally acceptable because it's your party and you and your fiance can do whatever your hearts desire. It's NOT tacky. It's the same exact thing as cake, just smaller. No big deal. :)
    image 141 Invited so far!
    image 112 Are ready to party!
    image 29 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are a great idea! Everyone gets there own! I think it may be less messy because there is not cutting of the cake and making a mess! Maybe a little non traditional... but who cares! Dare to be different!
  • edited December 2011
    Do what you want.  It is your wedding.  They are both guests.  I say this after reassurance from other brides  about my wedding favor idea.  Someone I know made me second guess myself. The only person you should be making decisions with is your fiance as this is his day too.

By the way, I am having cupcakes too!

• rurounimonrurounimon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are totally getting popular these days!!!  I don't even see how it can be more messy than cake?  They're already in perfect single serving sizes.  Should go for the cupcakes if you really want them!
  • edited December 2011
    I'd say with that many kids attending, cupcakes will make you the most popular person on the planet.

As for being tacky/untraditional, my cousin and his wife had cupcakes at their wedding, and they looked just as classy and formal as any wedding cake. It's all in the presentation. Tell the MOH and FMIL not to knock it until they've seen it all put together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are great.  We had them at our engagement party and they were a huge hit.
    10-10-10
  • PencilBouquetPencilBouquet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No WAY!  Cupcakes are SO IN right now!  That's what we're doing!  Remember, with cupcakes you save money on knives and forks AND it's much easier to send home the "leftovers" with guests when it's all over. 
  • brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are very popular for weddings right now!  Maybe show them pictures of your vision so she understands what you are thinking? Maybe pictures of wedding cupcake towers or something else that shows how classy and "wedding-like" cupcakes can be?
  • edited December 2011
    I loooove cupcakes! We're having a dessert reception and cupcakes will be there for sure.

:-)
    img_9694 Anniversary
  • bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that cupcakes are the in thing right now.  There are so many shows on tv related to cupcakes even.  If that's what you want to do, go for it.  I know a couple people who were married recently and had cupcakes.
  • Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are wonderful!  Send you MIL and MOH here, and we'll set them straight!  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    No, I agree that they are very "in" now. We are having them. My maid of honor and I are going to make them. You can have a variety of flavors that way. We are doing some filled, some chocolate, yellow and maple, and some gluten-free due to family member neeeds. Presentation is important, and you can do something that will go with the style or theme of your wedding. You could use pretty glass plates that could be passed, a tierd cupcake tower or tierd glass pedistal cake plates. Add flowers and you have something beautiful and personalized. If there is a concern about them being messy, have forks available. Show the naysayers some of the pictures that are on the internet or in the bridal magazines.
  • edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are becoming more and more popular at weddings instead of cake. Some couples don't have cake or cupcakes, but just a hodgepodge of their favorite desserts and maybe even a candy bar. I say go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    where has your moh been? cupcakes are used so often no one blinks when they see them anymore, they are super cute and ussually cheaper, and you could even do several different flavors to make it more fun
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are an excellet idea! Go with what YOU want, its YOUR day, not theirs :-P
  • BoxOfRocksBoxOfRocks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tacky, no.  But there are on the tail end of a trend, if that matters to you.  Ultimately, you should do what you want.
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are so trendy right now, I don't see how they can possibly be tacky. It's also a really cute idea since you are having so many youngsters. Go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    No way - I'm rooting for cupcakes too  for my wedding! A cupcake tower with a small 6 in cake on top for the actual "cake cutting". Is that what you're envisioning? I love that with cupcakes, everyone gets to choose their own flavor!
  • carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing cupcakes and I think they are a very cute idea. Go for it!
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cupcakestacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e91a512e-d022-4e96-b4a0-c0f1d3d7f252Post:1212456b-17b8-44c1-9bd3-95c15c62d451">Re: Cupcakes=Tacky????</a>:
    [QUOTE]No way - I'm rooting for cupcakes too  for my wedding! A cupcake tower with a small 6 in cake on top for the actual "cake cutting".
    Posted by koskim[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This is what I'm thinking, only in addition to cupcakes there will be other desserts too like brownies and cookies and pies.  My FI and I don't really do cake (except I do like cheesecake and this amazing cake my auntie makes called Hawaiian Wedding Cake (which I'm going to see if we can make up as cupcakes rather than a whole sheet cake; appropriate, eh?)) so we're going to do the dessert bar thing :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Tell your MOH and FMIL to back off and wait until they're stuffing their faces with delicious cupcakes.  Then they'll be thanking you for your "tacky" cupcakes! :D</div>
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are definitely a trend right now, but I'm not a fan of them. I love the traditional wedding cake, but I would never turn my nose up to a couple who has cupcakes in lieu of a wedding cake or any other type of dessert.
  • Our venue charges $2.50 cutting fee per slice of cake! Cupcakes it is! But we still are making it festive, a cupcake tower with a small 6" cake on top with a topper. Each cupcake also has a pretty cupcake wrapper.
  • Cupcakes are great and you can possibly have more flavors. I didn't make a mess with my cupcake at my friend's wedding and was considering it for my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards