Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

When to delete?

edited June 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
When someone deletes their post it is often referred to as a "dirty delete". The general consensus seems to be that once something is posted, it should not be deleted because it could possibly help someone else. So when do you think it is appropriate to delete a post?

*Edited to clarify: I am not wanting to delete a post, just curious on others thoughts*

Re: When to delete?

• Options
    When someone deletes their post it is often referred to as a "dirty delete. The general consensus seems to be that once something is posted, it should not be deleted because it could possibly help someone else. So when do you think it is appropriate to delete a post?
    JIC :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I have seen posts getting deleted because the OP does not get the desired results, which I disagree with. I have also seen posts get out of control and get deleted by TK. Those deletes seems appropriate to me. I am not asking because I am planning on deleting anything, I am just in one of those moods where I ask a lot of questions.
  • Options

Don't post things you don't want others to see.

If you realize you made a dumb/asinine post (we all have), just add an edit to it or a follow up post saying, "Yeah, my bad. Point taken. Thanks."

• Options
    NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    In general, I don't think things should be deleted at all.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If the OP shares info that they shouldn't, as in if it becomes a privacy concern for them or people they were talking about than I think it's ok to delete.

BUT, I think people should think before they post things to random strangers not he interwebz...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I have seen posts getting deleted because the OP does not get the desired results, which I disagree with. I have also seen posts get out of control and get deleted by TK. Those deletes seems appropriate to me. I am not asking because I am planning on deleting anything, I am just in one of those moods where I ask a lot of questions.
    Sometimes when that happens it's because the OP got banned for name-calling, or asked that their account be closed in a GBCK; all of their content gets deleted when that happens. It has also happened in one case I know of where someone's personal information got revealed, mostly inadvertently. Was easier to delete the whole thing.

Otherwise no, things shouldn't get deleted. Closed from further comment, sure. Edited *to the bottom of an OP* once you've gotten clarity, absolutely. Deleted, nope.

• Options

I DD a post once.  I asked for advice on the toast I wrote for my sister's wedding.  About a week later, I saw her posting on here, so I DD'd it and asked the person who quoted it to delete it as well.  That poster was happy to do so.  In the same thread I asked for Sangria recipes, so I left that part up in my post.  I also replaced the text to explain why I DD.  In instances like this, I don't mind the DD. 

There have also been posts that are very personal and the poster has alraedy declared that it will be DD'd later, after she got advice.  Again - I don't mind a DD like this.

I feel the majority of DD are in poor form though.

• Options
    Technically you CANNOT delete period. You can only remove your own content from the post. So I'm not sure why you would bother as most of the time people quote during the course of the post.
  • Options
    The only time I can recall that I thought a thread should get totally deleted (and it was) was that crazy-ass thread a few weeks ago where people found OPs wedding website and were posting horrible messages on it. There was just too much personal info in there to cherry pick the deletes. 

I think it's acceptable to edit your post to take out personal info you should not have shared. Also, occasionally someone will post something with a warning that they might delete later, and asked not to be quoted. As long as that doesn't happen a whole lot, I'm fine with it. Sometimes you need the advice of complete strangers but don't want a paper trail. 
  • Options
    There's no reason to delete/erase your own posts unless TK has doubled you up. If you are embarrassed by what you wrote and don't think you can ever live down the horror, create a new account and start over. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    If you resign from the Knot and tell them to delete your membership, all of your posts will be deleted.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    What's the sangria recipe, @OliveOilsMom‌ ?
  • Options
    THANK YOU! I'd been wondering for a while what 'DD' stood for, though I understood it conceptually.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    When you're dying for puppy GIFs, but just don't know how to ask...

I am going to just randomly start making posts that look like they were deleted JUST FOR THAT GIF. That puppy is so.adorable.

ETA: What's a GBCK?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    GBCK = Goodby, cruel Knot.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    GBCK = Goodby, cruel Knot.
    Ahhhhhhhhhh hahahaha. Cruel, y'all? Pshaw. XD
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I've deleted if I accidentally duplicated a post. I also deleted a lot of shit from my old account here because I didn't trust TK to erase it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    The Knot erased my 5,000 posts when I left during the fracas over banning some longtime Knotties.   I have never deleted any of my posts, but I have apologized when I was wrong.  Maybe the Knot Gods should do the same?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @NYCMercedes

1 bottle sparkling moscato
    2/3 cup white rum (I used a passion fruit flavored rum from Puerto Rico)
    1 bag frozen peaches
    some fresh strawberries & blackberries

mix together and refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving.  

I've made it a few times now and it has always been a hit!

That sounds freaking amazing.  I'll be trying it this weekend for sure.
  • Options
    @NYCMercedes

1 bag frozen peaches

This sounds fantastic. Why is it only 11 a.m. on a workday???
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    @NYCMercedes

1 bag frozen peaches

Yeah, Imma be making drinking this.
  • Options
    @NYCMercedes

1 bag frozen peaches

I need this.  Like, now.

Quarter to nine is an acceptable time to partake in sangria, right??
    Anniversary

• Options
    @NYCMercedes

1 bag frozen peaches

BLESS YOU
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    @NYCMercedes

1 bag frozen peaches

That reminds me, tomorrow is sangria night at game night!  I don't know what my friend's recipe is, but it is both delicious and deadly - he uses 3-4 different liqueurs in it.  He brought it for a seminar we were both in once and I got so incredibly drunk, the same day that I was supposed to be leading the discussion on the second book.  I was nervous and had to wait an hour and a half before I was on, so I just kept drinking...

• Options
    @NYCMercedes

1 bag frozen peaches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards