Chit Chat

The D word. (BIG FAT WHINY B*TCH-ASS VENT)

My parents should be divorced. They should have divorced 14 years ago, really, or 4 years ago. My mother stayed 14 years ago because she was scared of being alone with four children, the oldest of which (me) was 11 and the youngest was 3. Why she chose to stay 4 years ago eludes me to this day; I was 21 by then and had enough of a handle on real life that between the two of us we could have managed. 

They aren't happy. Truth be told, sometimes it seems like they hate each other's guts. And it seems like every time I speak to either of them alone, the conversation ends up them complaining about the other and I feel like agreeing with either one of them is a violation of trust against the other. I don't like being around either of them alone any more, although my mother realizes that I don't like feeling caught and tries very hard to police herself so that it doesn't damage my otherwise-excellent relationship with her. (My dad seems like he doesn't give a shit whether I like feeling caught, or whether it damages my relationship with him.) I live with them right now, as I'm working in the same town as my mom (within the same couple of blocks) and it makes no sense not to, but the longer I stay the less I want to. It's coming faster and faster to a head.

I also work for an attorney whose main practice comes from family law: divorces, child custody battles, deadbeat dads that don't pay for their spawn, addicted parents or just shitty parents losing custody to the grandparents/relatives/state. Every single day, it feels like, someone else calls us looking for a divorce. Sometimes they come in sad as a couple and leave sad as not-a-couple. Sometimes they come in pissed off all by themselves. Sometimes - rarely - they come in blindsided, after being served with papers they didn't know were coming. We have a few where the couple started divorce proceedings a few years ago and STILL have not settled. In the Clerk's office, there are divorce files that are thousands of pages long.

Something that scares me is that my parents will be divorced by the time my wedding rolls around. I know plenty of people have gotten married with divorced parents, and that it isn't impossible and certainly isn't the worst thing on the planet to have to deal with at a wedding, but it isn't something I ever wanted to do, nor really expected to do. I honestly thought that I would be more likely to have to put up with one of them having passed before I had to deal with divorced parents at my wedding. But what scares me worse - much worse - is that they will be in the midst of some huge god-awful fight of a court battle (because my dad assures me that it WILL be a huge god-awful fight of a court battle every time he doesn't get his way/gets called out on his shit), and they will be so far from speaking terms that I will have to choose between them. And truth be told, if it came to that I wouldn't choose my dad. He's a great dad, but his poor decisions 22 years ago (after, mind you, 12 years of marriage) started this whole mess and while I don't think he needs to have to live them DOWN, I do think it's fair that he have to live with the consequences of those mistakes. 

FI is coming to live with us soon, or at least so I had hoped until this morning. Now I'm thinking about trying to see if we can find somewhere cheap away from my parents' house and the constant tension. 

(Someone give me some cheese and the world's tiniest violin. I know I'm being a whiny little bitch and there are people on these boards who've had to put up with much worse. It's just something I can't really talk about anywhere and I had to get it off my chest a little.)
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: The D word. (BIG FAT WHINY B*TCH-ASS VENT)

• I am so sorry you to hear about your situation. I lived with my parents until I was 22 and I do not remember a single day of my life where they got along or enjoyed being together. Finally after 23 years of marriage they called it quits. I will say after it was finally over it was kind of a relief, as terrible as that may sounds. My moms attitude changed and she became much happier. I don't talk to my dad a whole lot, it is what it is though, we were never really close. All I can say is I hope you all can find peace within the drama. Planning a wedding with newly divorced parents can be annoying at times, but you'll get through it. Don't let the thought of them being divorced ruin your day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Here I thought this was going to be about 'dick'. OP, I'm sorry you and your fam is going through this. That sucks. It's really really hard watching people you love remain unhappy. I have zero advice, just internet hugs.
  • Thanks y'all. I really don't know what to do, but I don't think there really IS anything I could do, cus it's their fight. But they aren't divorced/divorcing. We would ALL be happier if they were, I think, but they both seem to be all talk right now. I wish one of them would grow a pair and actually call the damn lawyer, really. It would be better than stone-cold silence or fights.
  • Sorry, that has to be hard to be in the middle of.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Lots of brides have difficult families.  My mother had been divorced from her husband (not my father) for about a year, and my sister and MOH was in the middle of divorcing her husband when we decided to get married.
    You cannot fix your family.  It is not your decision whether or not they should get a divorce.  This is their decision.  All you can expect is that they will behave themselves in public at your wedding.  If they do not, it reflects poorly on them, not on you.
    Best wishes. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My parents separated when I was eight. When I got married the first time, I was 24. Even with all of that time in between and the fact that both had clearly moved on, they still did not behave at the wedding. It was a nightmare. So, point being, is that even if they had divorced years ago, there is still no guarantee that things will go well. Or, they could separate the day prior to your wedding and things could be perfect. Only you will know if you trust them. I had a long sit down with my parents well before my wedding to set the "rules". Maybe talking to them will help ease the anxiety. Even with my sit down, I still had doubts and blew them off. Regardless, I agree with @CMGragain. Their behavior will not reflect poorly on you. Everyone who saw my dad's behavior at my wedding felt badly for me and turned their nose at him.

• My parents divorced after 24 years of marriage, when I was 21, and 3 months before my older sister's wedding. They were not speaking to each other, but S made it crystal clear that if there was ANY animosity between them at the wedding, she'd never speak to either of them again. They got through the day without incident.

9 years later, they're friends. Go figure.

• My parents divorced after 27 years of marriage when I was 26. When it happens when you are an adult there are bid adjustments to be made. Things that have always been a certain way (holidays, events), are now completely different. 

My parents don't speak, and I'm not sure if my dad could have behaved himself that soon after the divorce, but it's been several years now. I made him come to my grad school graduation just so we could get the whole "being in the same room together" out of the way. 

It comes in waves for both of them. Sometimes my dad goes through periods where he is ok with it, same with my mom, and then sometimes my dad will get angry all over again and my mom will get sad again, too. In the end, though, they are adults, and hopefully they will put aside their hard feelings for one night (or at least hide them well!).
  • Thanks, all. I really didn't expect anyone to comment, I just don't have anyone to vent to about this and it's been bothering me more and more. It feels like dirty laundry - you don't air it in public, you keep it all cooped up in the family. Which, of course, does the opposite of making it better.
  • Well, you do have people to vent to now. :)

Hang in there!

• ...that just made me tear up a bit. 
  • I don't have anything to offer but internet hugs!

But, for a sad laugh: my grandparents are coming to my wedding. They divorced 30 years ago after 40+ years of marriage. Grampa was a horrible dbag. They've been at the same events for years because of their kids and grandkids (mostly in the last 10 years since grampa's 2nd wife died). They are now in their 90s, have varying degrees of dementia, and keep hitting on each other whenever they're together (a few times a year). It's upsetting on so many levels but kind of hysterical.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @wandajune6 I could DEFINITELY see that being upsetting. I would also have to hide under the table so they (and other family who wouldn't approve) wouldn't see me laughing. 
  • @wandajune6 I could DEFINITELY see that being upsetting. I would also have to hide under the table so they (and other family who wouldn't approve) wouldn't see me laughing. 

It is definitely funny. I don't have a relationship with my grandfather for a variety of reasons but was close to my grandmother up until the last few years. Dementia has really left her a shell of herself so, while I see her a lot, she doesn't feel like my grandmother most of the time. My grandfather is sharper but has lost his ability to speak well- he has developed a strong stutter and forgets a lot of words. Between the two of them, they couldn't remember what they're doing anyway!

Growing old is not for the weak.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    I would think REALLY carefully about having your Fiance move in to your parent's house. I would say that to ANYONE, because that's a difficult/ kind of awkward situation for anyone, but ESPECIALLY since your home isn't very happy. It could cause a strain on your relationship with either/ or both of your relationships (with parents or fiance.) You know what's best, but just think it over, as you mentioned you were starting to do. 

My cousin lived with her parents and her first husband after they got married. I mean, he was gross. I don't know why they got married to begin with, so that could very well be the bulk of it.. but anyway, they broke up after a year. And she has said that living with her parents was a big strain on the marriage (though I think she's happy that things came to a head quickly. She married her childhood sweetheart about 2 years later.)
  • My parents got divorced after 28 years of marriage. My older brother was 24, I was 17, and my younger brother was 14. For so long I hoped they would get divorced because all they did was fight. But when it finally happened...I was devastated.

My mom moved out and is now dating someone else. My dad did not handle it well. He went from casually and socially drinking to becoming an alcoholic. he was hospitalized last year for his alcoholism and is now sober. But he wants nothing to do with my mom. 

He doesn't even want to come to the wedding because he doesn't want to see her. It is so hard for me because I'm very close to my dad. I am sorry you're dealing with this emotional stress because I know how it can be.

• Im so sorry :( and i know how you feel. My parents have been divorced basically my whole life but it is exactly like that. They hate each other, talk sht about each other whenever they possibly can, everything is a constant battle, and i just closed the case in court for childsupport which has been grounds for debate between them for the past 2.5 years. If you ever need to talk about it feel free to PM me. I may be young but I have lived with this situation my whole life. Planning our wedding withthis is mind is still proving a challenge.

• I don't have anything to offer but internet hugs! But, for a sad laugh: my grandparents are coming to my wedding. They divorced 30 years ago after 40+ years of marriage. Grampa was a horrible dbag. They've been at the same events for years because of their kids and grandkids (mostly in the last 10 years since grampa's 2nd wife died). They are now in their 90s, have varying degrees of dementia, and keep hitting on each other whenever they're together (a few times a year). It's upsetting on so many levels but kind of hysterical.
    Haha, fortunately for us we aren't dealing with dementia, but this made me think of something my Nana said.  My grandparents on both sides divorced long before I was born.  She made a big deal of telling me it's okay if I sit her at the same table with Pop Pop, she'll dance with him if I want, etc.  I said no, of course not!  Do whatever you want.

I mentioned it to my mom and she goes, "Yeah, it's because Pop is still in love with Nana and she knows it.  She loves teasing him.  She did it at my wedding, too."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards