Getting in Shape

Sorta GISR -- What do you do with your ring at the gym?

It's a slow Monday so I figured why not?

I'm just curious now that I've been going to the gym a lot. Do you wear it while you're working out? Leave it in your locker? Put it on a necklace and wear it that way?

My fingers seem to get really puffy while I'm working out and then I become hyper aware of my ring. But I don't feel comfortable leaving it in my car or in my locker.

So, any thoughts?

-- Thoughts become things, choose the good ones! --

Re: Sorta GISR -- What do you do with your ring at the gym?

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I should think if you put it inside of something inside your locker, and your locker is locked properly, you shouldnt have an issue. I leave my ring at home ifI go to the gym straight from my house, or I put it inside my wallet inside my locker if I go straight from work.
  • I try to leave mine at home. There is no way I can wear it, it hurts when I'm doing weights.

If I do forget to take it off beforehand, I string it onto the drawstring on my pants and retie them. My fiance said its what a lot of the guys do at the hospital, tie rings into scrubs and it seems to work well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If I go home before the gym, I leave it there. I know our gym has a policy where their insurance covers items stolen from a locked locker but NOT items stolen from cars on their property. It feels weird to leave it in the locker, but I do it just to be on the safe side.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    I dont really see whats so strange about using the locker - you put your car keys, your wallet with your ID and credit cards, as well as any other personal items... but the ring wouldnt be safe in there? If youre concerned about the safety get a better lock.
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I go to the gym right after work and I just wear mine.  My band is so thin and even though I can't take it off after I start working out, its never uncomfortable.  I change into my gym clothes as I'm leaving work and then I lock my stuff in my trunk so I'm not using a locker at the gym and I just don't feel comfortable leaving it in my car.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nebb, I guess what I'm paranoid about is someone seeing me take it off, put it in the locker, and then leave. It could be tempting to someone less than moral, maybe? I suppose they could see my purse and have the same idea, but.... it's just an irrational fear, I guess.

-- Thoughts become things, choose the good ones! --

• NebbNebb member
    But if its locked, they would have to go to an incredible amount of effort to get into your locker to steal it. Unless they also watch you unlock it to know the code, they would have to carry a bolt cutter in their gym bag in order to get it off without drawing attention to themselves.
  • edited May 2010
    I'll wear it while running, but not lifting weights. When I do weights, I'll either leave it at home on my dresser, or put it inside my little wristlet I take to the gym, which also has my ID, gym card, cash and keys in it. The wristlet is with me at all times.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I wear mine when I'm doing cardio. I have a solitare, so to keep the setting and stone from knocking the treadmill while I run, I'll turn it into my palm.

When i use the weight machines or free weights I take it off and put it in my pocket or put it on my thumb! It doesn't bother me, but I don't want to scratch the band.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't go to the gym but I always leave mine in a dish above the kitchen sink. 
  • Leaving it in your gym locker is the worst thing to do. Those things are so easy to break into. If you don't believe me look up the best locks and then search on youtube how to pick those locks, the results will shock you into never leaving anything valuable in a locker again. Canceling credit cards and losing a $200 phone in a lot easier than replacing a ring... So I guess it depends on how expensive your ring is... Depending on your cars security features, it might be better to leave it in your trunk. I don't take it to the gym most of the time because I usually swim and it could slip off easily in water. I also go into the sauna, which is not good for diamonds because they shouldn't be exposed to extreme temperature shifts...from what I read. Unless I'm just doing a quick cardio or lifting, (I wear workout gloves that cover the ring) I just leave it at home. I'm actually thinking of getting a gym ring, something I could risk losing. I've lost rings hiking! my sweaty fingers dropped it on the trail, I was incredibly lucky to see the peridot stone gleaming on the ground on my way back.
  • I won't wear any jewlery to the gym. When I'm home and I change I into my gym clothes, it's just part of my routine to take off earrings, necklaces, and my ring
  • I lock mine in my glovebox in my car. I'm too paranoid to put in one of the lockers.
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    If I'm running outside, I leave it at home. If I'm at a class or on the treadmill, I wear it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards