Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Marriage, then Ceremony & Reception... What to do?

Casting aside the common "Is it okay if we are privately married before having a public ceremony/reception wedding?" question and sharing with us how offensive it would be in your opinion, I am actually wondering if anyone has done it? Could you please share your experience (the invitations, ceremony, reception, etc.)?

The FH and I are planning our wedding for May 2015 and having his grandmother officiate at the ceremony. Recently we have been discussing getting married BEFORE our wedding in a private ceremony at the courthouse, but still have the wedding. There are a lot of good, practical reasons we could think of to support this idea (the biggest one explained below under Background Information)--such as health insurance. Also, the whole we love each other to death and all that. Ha.

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone has done this? I have tried doing a search on Google, but a lot of results were of brides asking if it was "acceptable" and all that. What I want to know is if you get married at a courthouse, what is the wedding "ceremony" going to be like? You obviously can't have anyone sign a marriage certificate. What if only a few people (i.e. parents and wedding party) know that you have already been married?

For anyone concerned that it is a "ploy" to just get gifts, we have no intention of even starting a registry. If anyone insists, we have already decided to ask them to donate to our charity of choice and/or just continue to politely let them know it is unnecessary to give us one.

If anyone would please share the details of their ceremony/reception after they were married, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Background Information: I recently moved in with my FH to cut down on expenses. Just for your information, we have been pretty much attached at the hip since day one and his place cuts my commute time to work in half so it seemed rather silly to pay rent for a place that I, literally, never spend time at. The problem with this is that he is currently in the military, we live on base, and a notice was just issued that "dependents" must be validated. Meaning, since I am living with him, I am considered a dependent; but because we are not married and not on his lease, I really shouldn't be living here and we could both be kicked off base. 

TLDR: FH and I want to get married before our real wedding. We still want to have the wedding. If we are not married and base officials as him to validate my "dependent" status and he will be unable to and we will be kicked off base (he'll still be active duty and all, but we will be unable to live on base and may lose BAH). How would we go about having a wedding ceremony after our courthouse/ marriage? What would the officiate's script be like? 

------------

UPDATE:

I appreciate everyone's messages, although it is obvious I have offended a lot of women. Obviously I'm new, not really sure how long or number of times I need to have been a member on The Knot to learn the etiquette. Anyways, it wasn't my intention to offend. I just happened to read a lot of people were doing the whole court marriage now, wedding later for a number of reasons and wanted to receive some feedback. 

A vow renewal sounds like a grand idea. I think if we do decide to go through the marriage now, "wedding/party" later route we could push it to our five-year anniversary celebration. I feel like it would be even more significant and worth celebrating at that point (I'm not saying a one year, two, three, or four isn't significant either. I just have a preference for the number five).

As for insulting my maturity, not having the wedding sooner isn't a matter of finances or acting like child. I have a pretty good job/health insurance, I was just trying to state an example of why we or others might want to get married early. I also have no intention of blatantly lying to everyone. I was looking for advice as to how I might address our invitations or have the officiant script the ceremony (I read somewhere you could say "In celebration of our marriage" but I wasn't sure if that would get the message across).

Also, I wasn't trying to tell people how to spend their money. I'd rather they didn't spend anything at all if I could help it. I just figured it would be a nice suggestion in lieu of gifts. 

Again, thanks for the input and I apologize for my ignorance... or as someone so blatantly called it, my "stupidity". 

Re: Marriage, then Ceremony & Reception... What to do?

• Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    You must be new to The Knot. What you're considering is called a PPD here (Pretty Princess Day), and it's considered one of the cardinal wedding sins. Another cardinal sin is telling people how to post. This is going to get real ugly, real fast.

Your real wedding is the one where you get married, which with what you're thinking would be at the courthouse. A ceremony after that is a meaningless show. You can, however, have a celebratory party, but it shouldn't look anything like a wedding. You can also just move the whole shindig up and actually get married at a ceremony that your FH's grandmother officiates.
  • Options
    Simky906Simky906 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I recently attended a wedding where the couple were married last fall and then had a religious ceremony with the big ceremony/reception. I knew in advance that they were already married, as did, (from what I could tell) about half the guests. The other half didn't know, but found out over the course of the reception. My general impression was that the guests who knew in advance were fine with the situation and that guests that didn't know were really annoyed. At least two that I spoke with personally felt that they were lied to and didn't like that one bit. 

My advice would be that if you really need to do this, be honest. Let people know that you are married. Presumably, the people you would invite to a bigger ceremony are your loved ones, and I think you should be truthful with your friends and family. 

Also, if you do this, I would strongly advise that you either skip the bachelorette party or have it prior to when you get married. The woman who I was referring to above had a bachelorette a month before her religious ceremony and it was strongly side eyed because she was already married!

ETA: Also, you need to have this discussion with FI's grandmother before you make a decision. She may have an opinion on this and I'm assuming she's a very important person to you.
  • Options
    RebeccaFlowerRebeccaFlower member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Casting aside the common "Is it okay if we are privately married before having a public ceremony/reception wedding?" question and sharing with us how offensive it would be in your opinion, I am actually wondering if anyone has done it? Could you please share your experience (the invitations, ceremony, reception, etc.)?

The FH and I are planning our wedding for May 2015 and having his grandmother officiate at the ceremony. Recently we have been discussing getting married BEFORE our wedding in a private ceremony at the courthouse, but still have the wedding. There are a lot of good, practical reasons we could think of to support this idea (the biggest one explained below under Background Information)--such as health insurance. Also, the whole we love each other to death and all that. Ha. Why not just move your wedding up? You don't have your cake and eat it too. 

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone has done this? I have tried doing a search on Google, but a lot of results were of brides asking if it was "acceptable" and all that. What I want to know is if you get married at a courthouse, what is the wedding "ceremony" going to be like? There shouldn't be one. No one cares about sitting through a fake ceremony so you get to wear the poofy white dress.You obviously can't have anyone sign a marriage certificate. What if only a few people (i.e. parents and wedding party) know that you have already been married? Someone will find out and they will be furious that you lied to them. 

For anyone concerned that it is a "ploy" to just get gifts, we have no intention of even starting a registry. If anyone insists, we have already decided to ask them to donate to our charity of choice and/or just continue to politely let them know it is unnecessary to give us one. Don't tell people to donate to a charity, it makes you sound flippant and too good for gifts. Just say that you don't need anything, but don't expect much since you'll already be married.

If anyone would please share the details of their ceremony/reception after they were married, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Background Information: I recently moved in with my FH to cut down on expenses. Just for your information, we have been pretty much attached at the hip since day one and his place cuts my commute time to work in half so it seemed rather silly to pay rent for a place that I, literally, never spend time at. The problem with this is that he is currently in the military, we live on base, and a notice was just issued that "dependents" must be validated. Meaning, since I am living with him, I am considered a dependent; but because we are not married and not on his lease, I really shouldn't be living here and we could both be kicked off base. 

TLDR: FH and I want to get married before our real wedding. We still want to have the wedding. If we are not married and base officials as him to validate my "dependent" status and he will be unable to and we will be kicked off base (he'll still be active duty and all, but we will be unable to live on base and may lose BAH). How would we go about having a wedding ceremony after our courthouse/ marriage? What would the officiate's script be like? 
    JIC. 

See bold above. 

You cannot have a wedding after your wedding since you'll already be married. There just is zero logic there. What you can do is have a fabulous party with great food & booze. No wedding dress, spotlight dances or fake ceremony since you will be already married. 

• Options
    If you are madly in love and that is all that matters, then a courthouse wedding is should be all you need! That courthouse wedding is very real!!

Since you want to avoid any housing issues, go ahead and get married. When you are ready to have a vow renewal (because that is what it is- a renewal not a wedding), you can have his grandfather conduct a similar ceremony as a real, legal ceremony, minus the exchange of rings, or first kiss. He should also use the phrase "celebration of marriage." You can exchange vows, of course. There should not be any attendants, as you do not need witnesses. It's not a wedding.

If it's a religious ceremony (you didn't say if grandpa was a minister), then the rules of what is allowed are dictated by the church. Most churches will not allow formal wedding-like ceremonies if you are already legally married. The ceremony will be significantly scaled back.

For attire, you can wear a lovely dress, though not the big poofy white gown. You husband can, of course, wear a suit. It can be as formal or casual as you want, though! It's just not a wedding.

The reception is a party, with no formal introductions, no tosses, no spotlight dances. You can have dancing, drinks, food, and cake!! It can be the biggest party ever!

IMHO- you don't need to have a vow renewal. Have the great party and during the reception, grab the mic and thank everyone for coming to celebrate your marriage. Tell your DH you love him and are thrilled to be married to him, and then have fun!!!

• Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    edited June 2014
    Paging @PDKH and @kmmssg for advice on the military aspect.

H did not have health insurance for 2 years by the time we married.  It was never even an option to us to get married quickly so that he could be placed on my insurance because we wanted to have all of our loved ones at our wedding and we wanted to be married in the Catholic Church which usually requires 6 months to go through wedding prep.  We made the adult decision to wait to get married.

Also, I think it should be pretty common knowledge that you shouldn't lie to people!  If you want health insurance and the benefits of living on the military base, own that adult decision.  Get married and tell people you are married.  Let them know they would be going to witness your vow renewal.  Or skip the fake ceremony and just have a celebration of your marriage in May.

Lastly, it's rude to tell other people how to spend their money.  You shouldn't be telling people to donate to a charity of your choice.  What if they don't feel that your charity is important or don't like how that charity designates their funds to the people (or animals) who needs it.  If you want to donate to a charity, just take all the funds you get and donate it yourselves.  No fan fare needed.
  • Options
    .PDKH just got married last night, so she might not be around for a bit! 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I come from a military family and I find this attitude disgusting. If you are old enough to get married then you are old enough to act like an adult. You have to decide what is more important to you. Look you can put together a nice wedding in a short amount of time. I'm over people taking advantage of the military and the government. I find the lack of character embarrassing. Either move off base and plan your big wedding. Or plan a small but still beautiful wedding so you can still live on base. Just be honest with everyone and the government. I don't think its wise to start a life long comminment on a lie.
  • Options
    So you want to get secretly married and lie to your guests? Got it. Great idea.
  • Options
    You have a vow renewal.  You don't lie to your guests.  You tell them you're already married, you're ceremony is a renewal of vows and not a wedding.  Invitations should indicate that the event is a "celebration of marriage" or a "vow renewal".  You do not have bridesmaids/groomsmen as you won't be a bride/groom, but you can certainly have guests of honor.  Having a "first" dance is silly, but you can have a spotlight dance.  I'd advise against wearing a "wedding" dress and instead get a gorgeous dress that you can wear again.  You don't have a shower or bachelor/bachelorette parties after you've wed.  And as soon as you're married, you stop referring to each other as "fiance(e)" as you will be husband and wife.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials.  Courthouse weddings are lovely. 
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    Your 'real wedding' is the one where you get married. HTH.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the input everyone! 
  • Options
    I remember reading on the Military Board that the military takes a dim view of quickie weddings done for benefits, and then PPDs later.  Many officers are deeply offended by this.  It could affect your FI's career.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We don't intend on having the wedding ONLY for the benefits. I don't need his insurance or anything else for that matter. We want to get married because we love each other. Not getting married sooner wouldn't kill us.

We had thought of having a wedding sooner (REAL ceremony, reception, etc.) but if we considered the holidays... the notice might be too short for our parents (who live out of state) and my grandparents (who live out of the country).
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2014
    Getting married at the courthouse is fine.  It is having the big fake ceremony later that offends.
    I planned mt simple church wedding in less than two months.  WHAT holidays are you talking about?  Christmas?  That is plenty of time to arrange a wedding and reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Thanksgiving and Christmas. So a wedding in September might work? It might have been easy for you to plan a simple church wedding in that span of time, but I don't think I could. We are all busy, but I just know it's not something I would be able to pull off.

@NYCBruin@Jells2dot0 Thank you for your responses, it was basically the straightforward advice I was hoping to see. 

We have no intention of having any of the traditional parties prior to a wedding. For the most part, our wedding would have been very non-traditional. 

For everyone thinking I am a horrible, dishonest person... I was not trying to reflect that at all, but it's much easier to simply address that the "wedding/party" is simply after marriage in an invitation rather than calling every person on our guest list and having a discussion with them about it.

The "in celebration of our marriage" on an invitation seems like a great idea.

• Options
    We don't intend on having the wedding ONLY for the benefits. I don't need his insurance or anything else for that matter. We want to get married because we love each other. Not getting married sooner wouldn't kill us.

We had thought of having a wedding sooner (REAL ceremony, reception, etc.) but if we considered the holidays... the notice might be too short for our parents (who live out of state) and my grandparents (who live out of the country).
    I would try to be a little more careful about how you word things. I had a private ceremony conducted by a civil celebrant and it was VERY real. What you are referring to is a larger traditional wedding as opposed to a small, civil wedding. 

Unfortunately, we all have had to make some difficult choices when it comes to planning a wedding. It doesn't always end up like the dream you envision. It seems it is very important for you to have your family present, and since you said it "wouldn't kill you" to not get married right away, I would immediately get on the phone with your VIP guests and see how soon they think they'd be able to make it for a wedding. It sounds like you haven't checked with them yet, so how do you know for sure that they couldn't make it? Otherwise, just be smart about your living situation and wait it out a bit until you know your family can be around. 

• Options
    @jells2dot0 You're right, I'll just have to ask around and see what we could work out with everyone.

I also didn't mean to insult you or anyone (again). I might have been a bit touchy after reading all of these responses. I just don't think that a ceremony/reception after a courthouse marriage should be considered "FAKE" was what I was trying to address. Yes, it's un-real in a sense that we aren't actually getting married... but it is still a celebration of our commitment/love for each other.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Thanksgiving and Christmas. So a wedding in September might work? It might have been easy for you to plan a simple church wedding in that span of time, but I don't think I could. We are all busy, but I just know it's not something I would be able to pull off.

@NYCBruin@Jells2dot0 Thank you for your responses, it was basically the straightforward advice I was hoping to see. 

We have no intention of having any of the traditional parties prior to a wedding. For the most part, our wedding would have been very non-traditional. 

For everyone thinking I am a horrible, dishonest person... I was not trying to reflect that at all, but it's much easier to simply address that the "wedding/party" is simply after marriage in an invitation rather than calling every person on our guest list and having a discussion with them about it.

The "in celebration of our marriage" on an invitation seems like a great idea.

I always discourage this wording on the Invitations board.  It is too vague.  If you go throu with your plan, you must be absolutely crystal clear about what you are inviting people to attend!

If there will be a second ceremony, you are having a vow renewal.  If there is no ceremony, you are having a party.  What you would NOT be having is a wedding, unless you follow my suggestion and plan a simple ceremony in the fall.  (Why not?)
    Most people are not as eager to attend vow renewals instead of weddings.  Vow renewals do not have bridesmaids, groomsmen, wedding dresses, or gifts.  Parties, other than actual wedding receptions, do not have these, either.  No way would I want to fly across the country to watch someone have a fake PPD instead of a wedding.  Think of your guests.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

The FH and I are planning our wedding for May 2015 and having his grandmother officiate at the ceremony. Recently we have been discussing getting married BEFORE our wedding in a private ceremony at the courthouse, but still have the wedding. There are a lot of good, practical reasons we could think of to support this idea (the biggest one explained below under Background Information)--such as health insurance. Also, the whole we love each other to death and all that. Ha.

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone has done this? I have tried doing a search on Google, but a lot of results were of brides asking if it was "acceptable" and all that. What I want to know is if you get married at a courthouse, what is the wedding "ceremony" going to be like? You obviously can't have anyone sign a marriage certificate. What if only a few people (i.e. parents and wedding party) know that you have already been married?

For anyone concerned that it is a "ploy" to just get gifts, we have no intention of even starting a registry. If anyone insists, we have already decided to ask them to donate to our charity of choice and/or just continue to politely let them know it is unnecessary to give us one.

------------

UPDATE:

I appreciate everyone's messages, although it is obvious I have offended a lot of women. Obviously I'm new, not really sure how long or number of times I need to have been a member on The Knot to learn the etiquette. Anyways, it wasn't my intention to offend. I just happened to read a lot of people were doing the whole court marriage now, wedding later for a number of reasons and wanted to receive some feedback. 

A vow renewal sounds like a grand idea. I think if we do decide to go through the marriage now, "wedding/party" later route we could push it to our five-year anniversary celebration. I feel like it would be even more significant and worth celebrating at that point (I'm not saying a one year, two, three, or four isn't significant either. I just have a preference for the number five).

As for insulting my maturity, not having the wedding sooner isn't a matter of finances or acting like child. I have a pretty good job/health insurance, I was just trying to state an example of why we or others might want to get married early. I also have no intention of blatantly lying to everyone. I was looking for advice as to how I might address our invitations or have the officiant script the ceremony (I read somewhere you could say "In celebration of our marriage" but I wasn't sure if that would get the message across).

Also, I wasn't trying to tell people how to spend their money. I'd rather they didn't spend anything at all if I could help it. I just figured it would be a nice suggestion in lieu of gifts. 

Again, thanks for the input and I apologize for my ignorance... or as someone so blatantly called it, my "stupidity". 
    I absolutely questions the maturity of anyone who moves into a place that they are not allowed to live.  You are not a dependent, you don't get to live on base or use any of the base services.  Your FH knew this. Getting kicked out of base housing and losing BAH are the least of his worries. He could get in a lot of trouble for this.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    How to plan a real wedding:

1.  Make guest list.
    2.  Decide how much you can spend.  (Budget)
    3.  Decide how much you can afford to feed these people on your budget.  This determines the time of day, and the type of reception.
    4.  Find church/venue that satisfies all of the above. Consider fire halls, fraternal halls like Elks, or the ever popular church social hall.  (Alcohol is not usually allowed in church.)
    5.  Print invitations and mail.
    6.  Buy dress off the rack.
    7.  Ask attendants, if you want them.  Be flexible about their dresses.
    8.  Order food/cake.  A cake and punch ceremony in the afternoon is the easiest to plan, and is budget friendly.  You can also serve tea sandwiches.  Also consider alternatives like pasta, barbecue, Mexican.
    9.  Order flowers.  Grocery stores are a good budget source.
    10.  Program an Ipod with music if you want dancing.  Afternoon weddings tend to be shorter.
    11.  Photography.  This is expensive.  Ask a friend or relative who is a camera geek to take pictures for you.  Offer to pay them.

It can be done.  Many brides - especially military ones - have done this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Well, again. Thank you for all of your input.
  • Options
    Also, OP getting married may not solve your housing issue.  Once you get married he has to take your marriage license in to have you entered in DEERS so you can get your ID and be eligible for dependent benefits.  At that point someone is probably going to realize he has had a "dependent" in base housing longer than he has had a dependent. He could still face consequences for his actions.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just want to give you some props for your update, understanding that what you posted offended some without calling anyone names/etc. 

I get your frustration. When I first started posting on here, there were a lot of things I took for granted as okay that are not actually okay. Like getting married and then having a "real" wedding later. It can be really hard to learn something that was harmless to you is offensive and in some cases cruel to other people. It takes alot of character to face that instead of just running away. 

Stick around. There are alot of military brides on here who give very solid advice. Yes, many of us are blunt. But better to receive blunt advice from people online then blunt orders from your FI's superior. 

Best of luck and happy planning.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards