Attire & Accessories Forum

Cold feet on wedding dress, HELP!

So before trying on dresses I knew exactly what I wanted: an off white, trumpet lace gown, 3/4 sleeves, slightly off the shoulder, and buttons down the back. I wanted somewhat of a vintage/classy dress with a modern twist. So I called David's bridal and made an appointment to try on dresses and they suggested to look at their website so I would be able to show them dresses I liked when I came to my appointment. They had hardly ANY dresses with longer sleeves. Thankfully I found a dress SORT OF like what I wanted for the top. I figured it was close enough so I'd be fine with not getting the exact style I wanted. So I went to my appointment and my consultant asked me what style I wanted and I said trumpet and asked about longer sleeves and she said they didn't really have them. I showed her a few dresses I found online that I had wanted to try on and of course, THE MAIN DRESS I wanted to try on, they didn't have in my size and I believe they can't even order it. I was soooo bummed. So the second dress I really liked, they had, which I was happy about... The only thing about this dress was that even online the dress on the model looked kind of baggy/frumpy. The top half looked beautiful on the model but it didnt give her any shape and the bottom looked like a pile of material they just gave up on. It wasn't fitted like I wanted but I thought "Hey maybe on me it will look different than a model!" The sales assistant even showed me the dress on a mannequin and I loved all the detailing on it! So I end up picking out 8 dresses to try on and I tried on a random dress my cousin wanted to see on me and I did not like it! The second dress was the one I really liked but I wasn't completely sure about, And I really wanted to see on me so I tried it on and I fell in love! It wasn't my exact size so they clipped it in the back to give me some shape, And because it was the only dress they had to clip to look more fitted I have no idea what it's suppose to look like on me! All the other dresses I tried on gave me so much shape! But this dress for whatever reason did nothing for me. I have an hourglass shape but this dress makes me look like an ironing board. Yet when I had it on I felt beautiful! I kept looking in the mirror, I felt like a princess, and every dress I tried on after just didn't compare. It felt classy and elegant just like I wanted, but it wasn't the right fit or exact look I wanted and the bottom annoyed me like I thought it would. They said once its hemmed that it won't be that way, but even the spot that it hits when it starts to flare out makes me look short, I feel like it needs to start a few inches below. . I think it would be the perfect dress except for those few things. I found a dress that looked way better on me but it was strapless and I felt like I was going to prom and not my wedding, so I ruled it out even though everyone loved it. After trying on all the dresses I said I think I wanted the second dress. So they put me back into the dress to see it on me one more time and I still loved it the best and said yes to the dress. So now my problem is I keep wanting the fit off the prom looking dress with the look of the top half of the second dress. I love my dress! But because it was the only dress that didn't fit me properly I'm having doubts. I was happy until I got home and saw the photos of me in the dress. I'm so worried its going to look awful in photos. I'm worried because in other photos of women that bought the dress I bought, the women look frumpy. It doesn't give any of them shape. And the bottom looks awful in all the photos I've seen. If the model that they use doesn't even look that great... How can I? I feel like my dress looks better in a window than on anyone. Plus it's not really what I first wanted. Please share your thoughts on what you think I should do, or how it looks.

Re: Cold feet on wedding dress, HELP!

• did you order it yet can you cancel the order if you are not 100 percent happy with the dress then scrap it. and start over it sounds like davids had nothing for you and rather than sleep on it and visit some local bridal salons ( non chain) you settled for a dress you don't love.

you originally wanted a dress with lace sleeves

here are some affordable dresses with lace sleeves

http://www.bonny.com/collections/bonny/213#.U4XtaXbuhkg

http://www.morilee.com/bridals/bridal/1962

http://jasminebridal.com/ugC_Product_Detail.asp?hidP_kind=Bridal&hidP_style=COUTURE&hidj_line_order=1&hidP_Style_ID=T162053

http://jasminebridal.com/ugC_Product_Detail.asp?hidP_kind=Bridal&hidP_style=COUTURE&hidj_line_order=1&hidP_Style_ID=T162066

http://jasminebridal.com/ugC_Product_Detail.asp?hidP_kind=Bridal&hidP_style=COLLECTION&hidj_line_order=1&hidP_Style_ID=F161069

http://www.allurebridals.com/products/9167

http://www.allurebridals.com/products/8900

• I think it looks lovely. I'm sure you can also take it to a reputable seamstress and get it fitted the way you'd like. It doesn't look frumpy at all.
  • You look great! However, I went to try on dresses this past weekend and know that if you like a dress, but don't love it on you, then you need to keep looking. I found a dress that my best friend loved, the consultant loved and I thought I really liked, but then saw pics of me in it and when I went home just knew that it wasn't the one because I didn't LOVE it. Take pics of every dress from multiple angles because it's so different from looking in the mirror. 

No matter what anyone tells you or how great we tell you the dress looks, if you don't feel beautiful then it will show. You should be confident and love how you look. If you don't, then start over. Yes, David's has lots of options and most of them are extremely affordable, but don't settle just because it is convenient. Good luck! 
  • at8408at8408 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    When I went dress shopping I had a specific image in my head of the dress I would get -- tea length, with sleeves & lace. I ended up buying a strapless ball gown.  For weeks now I've been panicking that I picked the wrong one. I remembered loving it when I tried it on, but it wasn't the idea in my head and I was worried. But, when I went to my first fitting the other day, I suddenly remembered why I came out with this dress. It made me feel beautiful (my original idea of a dress did not) and I just knew it was "the one." 

I think you look great, and not at all frumpy. If you already bought the dress, they can do amazing things in alterations to get it to fit your body, maybe take out a layer underneath to reduce the volume of the bottom skirt if that is what is bothering you. You said that you felt beautiful in it when you tried it on. If at all possible hang on to that feeling. Just put yourself back in that moment where you felt like this dress was the dress.

If you haven't paid for it yet, maybe keep looking.

Also, because my dress doesn't have sleeves, I'm ordering a small lace bolero to go over it for the ceremony that will give the same look, but that I can take off for the reception to get my dancing on.
  • edited June 2014
    I already ordered the dress but I found out they have new dresses in and they have the exact style I want, do you know if davids bridal will let me switch out the dresses? I haven't had any alterations done.
  • Ok, so I struggled with finding my dress so much I started a blog on not going INSANE! It might help?! Here is the wedding dress bit: http://bridechiller.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/dress-shopping-is-not-as-easy-at-it.html
  • @knotporscha - this person has been using her posts to promote her blog in almost every single one of her entries.
    *********************************************************************************

• I already ordered the dress but I found out they have new dresses in and they have the exact style I want, do you know if davids bridal will let me switch out the dresses? I haven't had any alterations done.

When did you order the dress? If the dress hasn't been made, David's bridal may pet you choose the other dress. Ring the store and ask. at8408 made excellent suggestions as well :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I too think the dress looks lovely on you! But YOU need to love it first. I do think once the alterations are done it'll fit you better. I'd definitely call David's Bridal and ask them, they worst they can say is no. Then atleast you'll have some peace of mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • I think you look amazing and the opposite of frumpy. Seriously, it's a gorgeous dress and you look radiant in it. You definitely do need the bottom hemmed to exactly the right length. You look plenty curvy to me. And don't forget, if the fit isn't right you can get a seamstress to tighten it up at the waist so you look curvier if you want to. But you don't need it in that picture, you look great. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards