Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Seating Chart?

Do you need to have a seating chart? I just don't know if I like the idea of picking out where my guests, if there is an open table, sit there. I don't want to sit strangers with strangers. Is it neccesary?

Re: Seating Chart?

• Options
    A seating chart is not necessary but what is your crowd more familiar with?  An open seating plan or assigned tables?

Also, without a seating chart you will need to provide 10% more seating.  Which means more money on linens and chairs and tables and centerpieces.

Remember people will not automatically fill up a table.  If there are two couples who want to sit together and there is an open table and a table with 4 chairs available but don't know the others sitting at the table, they will most likely choose to sit at the empty table.

• Options
    We did not have a seating chart. It was really fun and we had no problems. BUT!! We had about 10-15% extra chairs because, like Maggie said, people sometimes leave space/don't fill up an entire table. Extra seating is critical if you go this route.  

Consider your crowd and budget. If your crowd has never seen an open seating reception, it might be confusing. If you can't afford extra seating and associated costs, it'll be a burden. An alternative if these two things are a concern to you/your situation is assigned tables and people can sit wherever they want at that table. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Luckily our reception space include tables and chairs. My centerpieces are DIY, I'd only be paying for linens. I feel like everyone would be happy with open seating. I've never been to a real wedding, and every wedding I see on TLC has seating plans. I didn't know if it could go the other way. I have no idea what I'm doing with half of this wedding.
  • Options
    Do you need to have a seating chart? I just don't know if I like the idea of picking out where my guests, if there is an open table, sit there. I don't want to sit strangers with strangers. Is it neccesary?
    I prefer assigned tables.  I don't like wandering around to find a table with people I know.  Asking "is this seat taken"?  I feel like I'm back in middle school.  Assigned tables is just more comfortable to me.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    I prefer assigned tables.  I don't like wandering around to find a table with people I know.  Asking "is this seat taken"?  I feel like I'm back in middle school.  Assigned tables is just more comfortable to me.
    I also prefer assigned tables.  OP when you do a seating chart you don't seat strangers with strangers unless of course you have people that don't really know anyone else there.  You seat people with their friends and/or family and if that isn't possible with people you think they would get along with.  Open seating will not prevent people from sitting with strangers.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer assigned tables too so that I have a designated place to sit down and leave my things if I get up to mingle with other guests and don't have to carry them around because of the possibility that someone will move them if I leave them there.

I also don't like having to wander around looking for an open seat because people have "reserved" the tables for the friends and family members they want to sit with.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    They're not mandatory, but I prefer them. Too much wandering, worrying, and awkwardness without one for most weddings I've been to without it. 
  • Options
    I hadn't considered people being uncomfortable with leaving their things at the table... maybe it wouldn't be so bad to do assigned seating.
  • Options

The purpose of the seating chart is to ensure that people get to sit with their friends and family. Or at least, that your teetotaler Aunt Ruth does not end up sitting next to the groom's younger brother whose nickname is Frank The Tank and who will be starting off the night with shots of Jaeger.

As a guest, I would definitely prefer a seating chart. I'd want to sit with my friends, and would be too worried we wouldn't get to a table in time to find seats for all of us. Or with my luck, I'd be the one that's still at the bar while all the seats get taken and I end up across the room from everyone I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards