Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Need New England Photographer!

I'm browsing online to find a photographer for our Jan 2015 wedding in the White Mountains, NH.  While most photographers have great scenery and venue shots, I haven't found one that does good portraits.  Specifically I'm looking for photos of faces without shadows under the eyes, etc.  

Also, why is there a de-facto wedding photo playbook?  I find most of the bride-getting-ready pictures contrived.  Does anyone have recommendations for a photographer who's creative and spontaneous (and also good with faces)?

Re: Need New England Photographer!

• You'll get more responses if you post this on your local board. 

If you don't want getting ready shots (or any others), just tell your photographer. We skipped them and it was no big deal, even though our photog had those photos in her portfolio.
  • Thanks for the tips, Emmy!  
  • I recommend you find a destination wedding photographer. They have no choice but to be original in their photography because they have to constantly work outside of their hometown. I had a destination wedding and I love my pics. If you want a referral private message me.
  • I do not recommend a destination photog. It is important to meet with your photog and make sure them are a good fit. Personality plays a lot in to the images, If you are not comfortable working with your photog it will show in your images. The only way you can get a true feel for them is by meeting in person.

When you meet with them ask to see a complete wedding. Ask if they use fill flash or reflectors to reduce shadows because of the deep shadows caused by the mountains. You might have to pay a little extra for them to bring along an assistant to help with the off mount flash or reflector, but if it's important to you it will be well worth it.

Not knowing a location does not always mean they will be original. It actually can be a hindrance. They might not know about the great scenery just around the corner. 

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I recommend you find a destination wedding photographer. They have no choice but to be original in their photography because they have to constantly work outside of their hometown. I had a destination wedding and I love my pics. If you want a referral private message me.
    I'd much rather have someone that is familiar with the area, venue, etc that has his stuff nailed down than hope that someone who is in town for a few hours can figure it out and think outside the box to get the shots.

OP - Find someone local to you.  Someone that you can meet, see photos/albums in person, etc.  Don't add a layer of uncertainty into something that is totally unnecessary.  Post this on your local board and do some searches online and  I'm sure you'll find someone!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards