Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcakes and Cookies

My fiance told me this weekend he wants to have cookies at the reception in addition to the cupcakes. Now we're trying to decide how to do this. We're anticipating 150 people. Do we order enough cupcakes for that many people AND cookies? Do we cut down the number of cupcakes because we're having cookies also?

Re: Cupcakes and Cookies

• I think it depends how you have it set up. If you want to incorporate cookies in addition to cupcakes, could you do the cookies as favors and then stick to cupcakes for your dessert? 

If you decide to have it set up more like a dessert buffet, I would talk to your caterer about quantities of each. That's their profession and they should be able to estimate knowing how many people will attend the wedding. When you have things set up like a buffet, usually people take more to try different things. 
    *********************************************************************************

• 165 Servings of cake... and 165 servings of cookies!  Really!  It's better to have more than enough than not enough, especially when it comes to dessert!  Cupcakes are a half-portion of wedding cake when you do the geometry, hence some people will do one, some more than one, and no one wants to be the poor soul who wants dessert but they ran out! 

(also, your guest count is 150, but that likely doesn't include the two of you, your photographer and their assistant, the DJ, etc. that may have contracted that you provide a meal, or the person(s) who sneak one as an appetizer so that no guest ever has to hear "sorry, the bride & groom didn't order enough"...)

• I would have enough for everyone for both the cupcakes and the cookies.  Hell I would have double the amount of cookies because who just eats one cookie?  Also make sure you have plenty of to go containers for the cupcakes and to go baggies for the cookies.  That way if you guests don't want to eat them at the wedding they can take them home and eat them later.

• I also suggest having two cookies per person and one cupcake per person, but you should probably have 165 cupcakes or more to be safe.

Anniversary
  • I would minimally have enough cupcakes to feed everyone one piece as well as 2 cookies per person plus a few extras. The more flavor options you have the more likely people are to grab at least one of each flavor. People like to sample and will usually do so in a buffet style setup. If you have just the basic chocolate and white cupcakes (or specialty flavor and white) then they'll probably choose one or the other. If you offer just a sugar cookie people are probably going to grab 1 or 2. If you were thinking more along the lines of offering a mixture of cookies then you might want to up your numbers to 2.5-3 per person to accommodate people grabbing 1 of each. Unattended kids tend to grab more than their share of sweets.

The wedding I went to last offered 4 different flavors - 2 gluten free and 2 regular. They made an announcement on which was which but encouraged us to try the different flavors. The first 10 rushing to the table were kids and they walked away with 2-3 each. In their situation though, they probably didn't mean to order enough for 2-3 per person but their invitations went out very late, so my guess is they ordered based on 100% attendance and ended up having quite a few people unable to make it on such short notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards