Destination Weddings Discussions

Cabin Wedding!

Okay, so I was pretty hard set on having a wedding unlike any other my family has seen. I wanted the beach but our budget is calling for something a bit less expensive. So, I thought of the mountains in Tennessee and the gorgeous cabins up there! I found NUMEROUS cabins that sleep multiple people (48 people is the biggest I've seen) and the prices for those large ones are about $1600-2600 for two nights. There are wedding planning services there and ways for me to either have my party travel to a designated location, or they can come set up something nice at my cabin! I thought this would be a good idea for my wedding party and close family members to be covered without them having to pay too much (and since I'd be saving by not using an Atlanta venue, why not bring my family with me). I have family members, mainly married couples, who I'm sure may not want to be in the cabin with us (my FH and I will probably get a 1 bedroom cabin for us to be alone the second night), so how would I go about letting everyone know prices of different cabins and hotels/condos in the area? Any ideas on how I should go about the STDs and invites, etc? Would this be a good idea; has anyone tried it? Thanks!

Re: Cabin Wedding!

• jules3964jules3964 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    We're doing this on a smaller scale. Our venue is a large rental house that my (small) side of the family is staying at, along with FI and I. We are also offering close friends the option to stay there the night of the wedding as well (on couches/air mattress/floor) if they'd like, since it's a remote area and hotels are on the pricier side. We'll see how many people we end up with. 

The rental house is part of our venue budget, so no one is paying to stay there. If you are considering a cabin to sleep 48 people, and are also going to hold the wedding there, you should cover the costs and decide who you would like to invite to stay. Then provide a short list of other cabin rental options and hotels to everyone, since some may prefer to stay elsewhere. If there is a hotel nearby that will allow you to reserve a room block, I would do that as well (as long as there is no cost to you). 

We sent Save the Dates in January for our October wedding, with a short list of hotel and camping options. We're sending formal invitations in early August. 

The one thing to keep in mind with a non-traditional venue such as this, is you have to rent *everything* and that can add up. Chairs, tables, plates, glasses, silverware, linens, stereo/PA system, etc. etc. A lot of times a traditional venue will have all these things for your use as part of the package. That being said, the house rental is the perfect venue for our small wedding and really fits us as a couple -- we wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck to you!
  • I actually found a few cabins within "neighborhood" settings that have rental space in their clubhouses for us to use along with the cabin rental! I was just a bit worried about not being able to invite and accommodate everyone, but you're right that I can invite everyone and just mention hotels and other cabins in the area available for rent. Also, if we have this non-traditional wedding, I won't be so focused on linens, etc. I will just be looking forward to relaxing with my family and friends on a pre-honeymoon trip. Thanks for your help! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards