Getting in Shape

buy dress too small?

I know this technically isn't a getting in shape pust, but I think it is applicable and you girls are great!

Next weekend there is the Brides Against Breast Cancer Gown Sale in Boston, MA.  I plan on going with a few of my close friends and family and am hoping to get a great deal on a dress I love (AND even benefit a great cause).  My questions is, is it ok to buy a dress a size or two too small?

My wedding is still a year away.  I am confident that if I keep counting calories and working out that i will be able to lose at least two dress sizes by my wedding.  I am going to try and get a corset back, which I know is more forgiving.

Everyone tells me no matter what NEVER buy a dress too small.  I don't want to be worried about having to get it taken in too much and having it lose detail and not look right.  I really want to buy a dress that I can try on, but is too small right now.  Am I crazy?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: buy dress too small?

• *Following* I am on the same page. Wedding is May 2015 - I'm not planning to order until October... I'm already down 10lbs - and counting... afraid to order and it be too big, and also want the motivation to keep going.... Gahhh - I know how u feel
  • I tried on my dress in March and had measurements taken. I asked the store what's the latest they could order (my wedding is June 2015) and they told me September. I've lost 22lbs, so I'm going back to have measurements retaken at that time, and if I drop even more weight between September and June, I can have the dress taken in with alterations. So technically, I didn't purchase a dress too small, but I did make arrangements for a smaller size. Chances are, you're going to need alterations (height, bust, something). I wouldn't purchase a dress from a sample sale too small. What if something happens? Not to be negative, but say you hurt your ankle or something, then you can't work out...do you really want to try to find another dress right before the wedding?
  • JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2014
    This is a dead thread, the original post is from June 2011.  Please try not to resurrect old threads.
  • What Jasper said. And sorry, but I would put you in the crazy category if you voluntarily bought a dress too small. You will need alterations regardless and it is a lot easier to take a dress in then to have to try and take it out.

• What Jasper said. And sorry, but I would put you in the crazy category if you voluntarily bought a dress too small. You will need alterations regardless and it is a lot easier to take a dress in then to have to try and take it out.
    Yes. Don't drive your alterations person crazy buy buying a dress that is too small.  It's WAY easier to take a dress in than out.

-A Tailor
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards