Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

This is why you never invite over capacity

We've see so many people on here say they invite more people than their venue can hold because there is never 100% attendance. Well it is a good thing I didn't invite over capacity because the last of my RSVPs came in today (I'm still in disbelief of how prompt everyone was) and everyone I invited said they are coming.

Re: This is why you never invite over capacity

• Options
    Here here!! 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Yep, it can happen. Just out of curiosity, how many people did you invite? Are most of them local?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:
    Yep, it can happen. Just out of curiosity, how many people did you invite? Are most of them local?

I do have a relatively small guest list. We invited 87 people. Most of them are local. I have a cousin and his family and another cousin traveling in. I also have an aunt and uncle who spend half the year in Florida so I'm not sure if they will have to travel in or not since they could be back here by then.
  • Options
    We also had 100% acceptance on our RSVP's. Two people ended up not showing the day of, but one was a guest of an invite. The other one was DH's priest who said he would come, but we were aware that he may not make it if he had other priest duties that he had to attend to that day. 

I never understand inviting people hoping that they won't come or knowing that they won't come. Why even waste the time, energy, and money inviting them? 
  • Options
    Yep - it happens but brides keep over inviting anyway...
  • Options
    We didn't have 100% acceptance but we came pretty damn close.  Out of 135 invited guests only 5 declined.

But yep, 100% acceptance is always a possibility.

• Options
    Good for you in getting 100% attendance!
  • Options
    That's awesome! We invited 150, so far we've already had 10 declines (invites went out about 10 days ago)-- Families that only 2 of 4 can come, my grandpa with Alzheimer's is not able to come, and therefore my aunt an uncle aren't coming because they're staying with him, etc.
  • Options
    Yup!! We invited 137 and 135 are attending - the 2 not coming we already knew they wouldn't come but invited anyway. Glad I didn't invite the 150 we originally planned on and actually listened to advice here
  • Options
    We also had 100% acceptance on our RSVP's. Two people ended up not showing the day of, but one was a guest of an invite. The other one was DH's priest who said he would come, but we were aware that he may not make it if he had other priest duties that he had to attend to that day. 

I never understand inviting people hoping that they won't come or knowing that they won't come. Why even waste the time, energy, and money inviting them? 
    To avoid hurt feelings/family drama or if their an SO of someone you really want there.  We invited in circles and there were plenty of first cousins we didn't care either way if they came.  The only person I kind of hoped wouldn't come was my uncles BSC wife, but I was absolutely going to invite him so she was obviously extended an invite.  Others you invite because you'd truly love to have them but know they can't make it because say, they're flying distance away and due with a baby the week before your wedding.

That said, we made sure we had room/budget IF everyone said yes.  Not doing so is just silly.
  • Options

we invited 200 and wound up with 152.  But we even thought THAT was a lot because 80% of our guest list was seriously out of town (as in "requiring a flight or very long drive and hotel room in order to attend").

My sister is getting married at home next summer, and we're assuming she'll have pretty close to 100%, as she still lives in the town we grew up in, as do most of her friends, and our relatives are pretty close by (and they were willing to travel to my wedding so they'll surely go to this one).  Her venue has almost twice the capacity as she's inviting though.  Because she's not a crazy person.

• Options
    We had 206 people show out of the 355 that we invited. 95% of those invited were from out of town and it was over a holiday weekend. The max capacity of our room was 350.

There were several people that I didn't invite that I wish I could have. And now I'm a little upset that I didn't, but I didn't want to be over capacity. I understand why so many people B list even though I know its totally inappropriate. We wouldn't have been able to do a B list anyway though. A lot people didn't RSVP until we called them.

Our day turned out perfect, but if I had known there would be so many declines I would have added in the 10 or so extra people that I had to cut.

Not saying its okay to do a B list, but I understand why people want them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards