Chit Chat
Options

I'm so annoyed - WR "unplugged" rant

You guys, I'm so ticked off!!! Seriously!

As many of you probably know I'm a photographer (not weddings - as I wave my not a vendor white flag) and I frequent photography forums and community pages.
Last night, one of the pages I not only frequent, but buy products from - posted that AWFUL article from the Huffington Post with the headline "The Biggest Mistake Modern Couples Make." Silly me, I thought the biggest mistake modern couples make on their wedding day is still the same one as olden days - marrying the wrong person!! Because surely it can't be not telling your guests how to act. I would think rudely treating your guests like children would be a mistake...KWIM???

Anyways....
This Facebook community page for photographers posted the link and "Great article!"
I commented: "Awful article. Treat your guests like adults and hire a professional who knows how to work in all environments."
The "page" hid my comment. I can't believe the photography community has bought in to this horrid practice to the point that it censors members who disagree with it. 

I wrote another longer comment explaining  my opinion a little more in depth, after calling them out for hiding comments (one and 2 others are hidden) from photographers with differing opinions. I'm waiting to see if they respond or just hide it as well.

The most disappointing thing...worse that being censored by a "community for photographers to share, learn and grow"...is that more than 100 "photographers" have shared the post and article on their page. I hate that my profession perpetuates being lazy and rude to guests.

Thanks for listening to me rant. I feel better *sigh*
:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

Re: I'm so annoyed - WR "unplugged" rant

• Options
    Preach it, sister.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    This article had originally been shared with me by a photographer who thought it was a great idea. And I believed her. But I've been converted now. 

Maybe someone needs to write another article about how if this is really an epidemic, guests should learn to NOT BE ASSHOLES so nobody needs to ask them not to jump in front of photographers, hang out of the aisle, keep their shutter noise on, etc so nobody needs to be the bad guy trying to ask them to behave once they're at the wedding. I mean, HuffPo will publish anybody, right? 

• Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    The only time I've gotten annoyed with camera usage during wedding ceremonies is when people don't silence their phones, or don't know how to shut off the goofy intro sounds on their digital cameras.

I've never seen anyone jump in front of a wedding photographer, god be with me if I ever do.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I'm bahahaing at the Nintendo ds. Wtf. I was watching a Four Weddings the other day and the priest made this really rude monologue about not taking pictures and turning off phones.

I get it. Don't be a jerk. Be mindful. Don't jump in front of the photographer for Pete's sake. But people are going to take pictures of their loved ones at a wedding. End of story. Even before this technology age people used regular cameras during weddings.

And for the record, although someone recently pointed out mine has been inactive for quite sometime, Huffpo absolutely won't publish anyone. I have a ton of friends who have been trying to get blogs or stories through to be met with silence or flat out rejection time after time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    They hid my other comment!! Those douche canoes!!

Here is my second comment that I post on Rock The Shot's Facbook page that they hid.
    Obviously the page admin is just another special snowflake who has a very unique circumstance that I just don't understand. I wrote a message requesting a response and I fully expect a "you don't know me or friends" or "unplugged weddings and cash bars are fine in my region!"
    Are you hiding comments from photographers who don't agree with the rude practice of telling guests what to do? Hiding differing comments is not what I would expect from a photography community page. It is perfectly fine to politely ask a guest to move or to tell people they can not stay after the ceremony and photograph during the portrait session. However the practice of unplugged weddings is rude. If you don't want guests to be happy and excited, which may include taking a picture or two, then elope. Once other people are invited it is not just about the bride and the groom. I have never dealt with any of these issues. When I was a photojournalist working sporting events I never had any images ruined by competing flashes, far more powerful than an iPhone or point and shoot most guests carry - as a result I feel this "issue" is largely made up by photographers who are lazy and don't want to deal with stepping around a guest. It's a excuse, and a bad one a that. Learn to perfect your craft and work in all environments instead of asking your clients to be rude to their guests. Hopefully this comment more fully explains my opinion on why this is a terrible article and won't be hidden like my first one and two other comments.

• Options
    How horrible of them and go you! Preach it! If they stop censoring you hopefully someone can learn something.

@lolo883 I agree! They need more then one view. Our guests were great. I take photos at weddings but am very discreet about it.

I do not do wedding photography! I am not soliciting! I have had flashes ruin photos I've taken. But I work in very different circumstances : have no editing capabilities, work under a strict time constraint, work with subjects that can be volatile, can not deviate from pose/ camera settings. I politely ask no flashes to be used while I work. I could care less if they are straddling me, standing shoulder to shoulder with me, etc. I work I a small crowded space where everyone is tripping all over everything anyways.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow. So they are not interested in a community of photographers sharing and learning together after all. Fuckers. On a related note, I'm going to a wedding this fall that will be unplugged, and it had the "we want you to be present in the moment" wording on the wedding website. Sigh.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Wow. So they are not interested in a community of photographers sharing and learning together after all. Fuckers. On a related note, I'm going to a wedding this fall that will be unplugged, and it had the "we want you to be present in the moment" wording on the wedding website. Sigh.
    Barf!

They are insisting that Facebook is censoring my comments not them! Seriously, do you think I'm an idiot???

I told them, "I will repost my comment then in hopes that I am over reacting and you are not hiding them. If it works can be seen then, please accept my apology for any confusion."

Headed the E-thread on Unplugged Weddings for fodder.
    Feel free to list any point I should be sure not to leave out...

• Options
    I found that article on HuffPo, and that author sounded SUPER whiny! 
  • Options
    @photokitty‌ that's unacceptable. What a BS explanation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Boooooo! You should try commeting on their page and not the particular post itself. That's pretty ridiculous, I see my local Radio station posting things like about a Kardashian or whatever and so many people comment negative things on it and they don't delete any of them.

• Options
     Of the gazillion opposing viewpoints that become hateful, nasty posts daily on a gazillion threads on FB, the powers that be at FB chose your opposing viewpoint to an article posted by the page owner/moderator to delete. Sure. Sounds legit. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I hate this unplugging trend. Like you said, couples should treat their guests like adults and hire a professional. I honestly think this trend has become so popular so photographers can be lazy and/or have an excuse for poor work.

• Options
    They unhid my first comment, but straight up deleted my second comment after thanking me for my feedback and telling me to "have a great day!"

I edited my first comment to be spiteful. I'm guessing they'll leave it alone since they have told me several times my first comment is not hidden. 

It's annoying but whatever, I'll just stop purchasing form them and will tell everyone I know not to buy for them either. Unplugged weddings are my newest pet peeves...I didn't think anything could be as annoying as a gap or cash bar. Guess that's my Tacky Trifecta!!

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I hate this trend so much as well. It really is just appealing to control freaks. I was stoked to have some pictures go up from our wedding right away, as low quality as they were, and my photographer handled it all great. And I realized after the ceremony that I hadn't taken any notice of my guests at all. Bigfoot could've crashed through the aisle and I wouldn't have noticed.
  • Options
    I agree that the trend is awful. I considered doing it after I went to three weddings this year where guests were rude taking pictures:

1. Guest snapped a million pictures and her camera made an awful beeping sound each time. She just kept snapping away.
    2. Guest got up. Walked BEHIND the bride/groom/priest to get a better view. It was pretty egregious.
    3. Guest got in the aisle with his cell phone camera in front of the photographer and blocked the view.

But then I realized I would sound like a controlling asshat if I told my guests to be unplugged, so I'm not doing it. 
  • Options
    I haven't read this article but I have a friend who is a wedding photographer and one of his number one complaints is guests bringing their IPADS to weddings and using them to take pictures. He said they get in the way and ruin his photos and I can totally see why. People taking pics with phones is one thing but bringing your IPAD to a wedding seems completely inappropriate to me.  Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    What community is it?
  • Options
    My dad was a professional wedding photographer for 20 years. I told him about this and he explained all the ways it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    I don't understand the whole unplugged thing. We had 75 people plus staff at our wedding. We didn't say a thing about cell phones and no one's phone rang. If anyone was taking pictures, I have on idea because I was busy looking at DH and our officiant. Neither of our photographers mentioned people getting in their way. Considering they took several thousand shots each, I'm sure they can find images without people holding cameras.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yep. I'm inviting adults to my wedding (any children I'm pretty sure don't give a shit about taking my picture). Plus my dad has a scowl that would scare any ipad lifter, phone noise maker, or other disrupter back into their seat ASAP. Who needs a tacky announcement when I have the Rictus of Extreme Disappointment on my roster?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    beethery said:
    This is my go-to about how people look taking pictures with iPads, even if they aren't selfies lol
    Yes!!  I worked in tourism two summers in college.  And people would hold up these huge iPads to take photos.  I just do not get it.  I KNOW you have a cellphone, use that!  Or a point-and-shoot, those things are cheap.  I just do not understand the desire to pull this huge thing out of your bag and hold it up and take a picture.  I've used an iPad, I would never do that in a million years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards