Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Getting ready photos

Sorry if this is in the wrong place- I thought there was a photography section but there isn't. 

I'd like to finalize a plan for the photographer and I may be over-thinking this so would like your input. We have the option of doing a 45 minute photo session before the ceremony of everyone getting ready. The issue is that we don't have a good location for it. We aren't allowed at the venue until 30 minutes before the ceremony and our house would be the only suitable place to take these photos but my fiance and I would rather not see each other before the wedding. We would also save money by skipping this extra hour but I'm wondering if these photos are standard if I'd miss not having them?

Re: Getting ready photos

• Options
    There is a photography section, but it's buried and gets little traffic. 

I did not have getting ready photos and do not regret it for one second. I have no interest in pictures being taken of me in various stages of unfinished. My vote is to skip it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I too didn't have getting ready photos.  I just don't understand them.  Why do people need photos of others getting their hair and makeup done or people getting dressed?

I vote to skip it and save your money.

• Options
    Totally unnecessary. Save your money.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I agree with PPs on the actual getting ready photos, but if these photos are just 45 minutes before the ceremony, I'm assuming you'll be mostly - if not completely - ready. 

H didn't want to see me before the ceremony and we only had 45 minutes to take photos after the ceremony. We had our photographers take all the photos of "me and the girls" "H and the guys" "me and my family" "H and his family" before the ceremony. Then after the ceremony, we did all our group pics. It was pretty efficient.

ETA: I should add that for all of these photos, we were completely ceremony ready.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel much better about skipping it. I thought I'd like candid shots of people hanging out before the wedding but I realize it's not worth the added stress and cost. (I could take those photos myself.)

@southernbelle0915, yes we would be mostly ready. I think we have an hour for photos after the ceremony so I think that will be enough time for individual, group and family photos? 
  • Options
    Ginpup said:
    Thanks everyone! I feel much better about skipping it. I thought I'd like candid shots of people hanging out before the wedding but I realize it's not worth the added stress and cost. (I could take those photos myself.)

@southernbelle0915, yes we would be mostly ready. I think we have an hour for photos after the ceremony so I think that will be enough time for individual, group and family photos? 
    Yes, that will be plenty of time to get the shots that you want.

• Options
    Ginpup said:

I would make a list of the photos you want and who you want in them. For example:

- Parent photos (B&G, mom and dad)
    - Family photos (B&G, mom, dad, siblings, grandparents)
    - giant family photos (family photo ppl + uncles, aunts, cousins)
    - WP photos (B&G, all WP members + RB, FG)
    - etc...

And give the list to your photographer. That way, they can better orchestrate, you're not trying to round up the troops, and you make the best use of your time.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I'm not having professional photography capture the "getting ready" - we're just going to have iPhones out, snapping goofy pictures and stupid selfies to laugh at later.  The last things I need are costly, professional, hi-res photos of my pre-makeup'd face and bedhead.

etf: mortal grammar sin 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    Yup, good points. Feeling good with this decision!
  • Options
    @marzipan13 I try to figure out your Kermit photo all the time...what the hell does it say/ mean? lol

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @marzipan13 I try to figure out your Kermit photo all the time...what the hell does it say/ mean? lol

"Nie moj cyrk, nie moje malpy" is a Polish expression that means "not my circus, not my monkeys" - you may have heard it used around TK for obvious reasons, especially by brides of Polish background!  The Kermit bit is from a recent meme - the actual saying that goes along with the Kermit picture is "But that's none of my business".  As soon as the meme gained popularity, it always made me think of "not my circus, not my monkeys" (since the saying means "that's none of my business"), so I just smooshed the two together.

Don't worry, you're not the only one to wonder what the hell it's about  lol.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    Thank you! I thought it was just some weird pig latin that I didn't understand or something hahah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards