Honeymoon Discussions

non beach honeymoon ideas

The husband and I are looking for a Honeymoon idea to take early next year (almost a year after being married). We are stationed in Hawaii so we don't really want to go anywhere beachy as we have lived it already. We went to Italy (all over) 2 years ago so that is out. Husband has already been to Austraila and New Zealand before and I have been to Japan. I would love to go somewhere back in Europe but feel as if it is a waste as we just went there. Does anyone have any romantic ideas for honeymoons? We like to see history but want to relax. We don't want to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle of everyone...but have the options for great food. Any ideas?

Re: non beach honeymoon ideas

• dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

Take an Alaskan cruise   Although the ships are big you can find nooks & crannies to feel more alone.  Splurge on a balcony or suite & you never have to see others.

A Russian River cruise may also fit your bill -- very few people

What about a trip to NYC, Boston, Philly or DC . . . very cosmopolitan, all sorts of romantic days trips, you can avoid the touristy things as required. 

• crltxcrltx member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Although a good idea...we are looking for more exotic out of the US things. My husband is from NY too so it wouldn't be too adventurous ;)
  • crltx said:
    The husband and I are looking for a Honeymoon idea to take early next year (almost a year after being married). We are stationed in Hawaii so we don't really want to go anywhere beachy as we have lived it already. We went to Italy (all over) 2 years ago so that is out. Husband has already been to Austraila and New Zealand before and I have been to Japan. I would love to go somewhere back in Europe but feel as if it is a waste as we just went there. Does anyone have any romantic ideas for honeymoons? We like to see history but want to relax. We don't want to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle of everyone...but have the options for great food. Any ideas?
    You do know that Italy is not the only country in Europe, right?!  I'm not sure why you would feel it's a waste to go back to Europe....each country is different.

What is your budget and how long are you looking to go for?  
  • Southern Spain sounds like it would work for you-lots to see and do, but a lot more relaxed than one of the major European cities. Sevilla is probably the most romantic city I've been to. And the weather in the "buffer" months is great-nothing like a 75 degree day in March.

I also love all the little wine towns in the Alsace region in France. There's all kinds of sites to explore in the area, and the food (and wine) is so good.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Try a river cruise.  They are very different from ocean cruises.  About 100 passengers total.  We started in Amsterdam and sailed down the Rhine, the Main, and over the canal to the Danube, stopping in many German towns and cities along the way.  We visited Vienna and Budapest this way.  All tours, usually walking tours, are included, as are beverages and most things that big ocean cruises charge extra for.  Often the boat ties up for the night right in the center of town, and you can walk off the boat and explore the town on your own.  DH was fascinated with the locks system on the rivers.  Overall, it is a much more intimate experience than the usual big tours.  We cruised with Uniworld, but I have heard great things about Viking River Cruises, too.
    Another popular itinerary is south of France.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Try a river cruise.  They are very different from ocean cruises.  About 100 passengers total.  We started in Amsterdam and sailed down the Rhine, the Main, and over the canal to the Danube, stopping in many German towns and cities along the way.  We visited Vienna and Budapest this way.  All tours, usually walking tours, are included, as are beverages and most things that big ocean cruises charge extra for.  Often the boat ties up for the night right in the center of town, and you can walk off the boat and explore the town on your own.  DH was fascinated with the locks system on the rivers.  Overall, it is a much more intimate experience than the usual big tours.  We cruised with Uniworld, but I have heard great things about Viking River Cruises, too.
    I love river cruising too!  I wish it were a little cheaper as I'd prefer to always travel like that, but then perhaps it wouldn't be as special.  That said, I did quite a bit of research before deciding on a cruiseline.  We opted for AMAWaterways.  Many of the cruiselines seem to have decor that was "older", but AMAWaterways was more modern.....yes, as a mid 30's couple amongst a mostly older crowd, that was (one of the many things!) important to us.  We loved AMAWaterways and are planning another trip for next year.

• JoanE2012 said:
    CMGragain said:
    I love river cruising too!  I wish it were a little cheaper as I'd prefer to always travel like that, but then perhaps it wouldn't be as special.  That said, I did quite a bit of research before deciding on a cruiseline.  We opted for AMAWaterways.  Many of the cruiselines seem to have decor that was "older", but AMAWaterways was more modern.....yes, as a mid 30's couple amongst a mostly older crowd, that was (one of the many things!) important to us.  We loved AMAWaterways and are planning another trip for next year.

I just saw my doctor today, and she loved her Viking River Cruises trip through China.  She's planning a Russia trip next summer!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ireland 
    Paris 
    Spain 

As a PP said, each country in Europe is different. Just because you've been to Italy doesn't mean you've seen it all! 
  • JoanE2012 said:
    crltx said:
    You do know that Italy is not the only country in Europe, right?!  I'm not sure why you would feel it's a waste to go back to Europe....each country is different.

I was thinking this too.  There are many other countries in Europe.  If you have a larger budget you could hit up a few different countries if you feel so inclined.

• If you don't really want to do Europe again, how about going to Central or South America?  Those areas often get left out since Europe is so popular.  We just did a cruise to Belize and Honduras and they were absolutely gorgeous.

We went cave tubing in Belize, which was about 2 hours drive inland, and I loved seeing the interior of the country.  And in my research, I've seen a lot of great things about vacationing there, even if you go inland and avoid the beach. There are some great Mayan ruins or some beautiful waterfalls inland. We are actually now considering a trip just to Belize to see more of it. Another advantage of Belize is that English is their official language and exchange rate is standard 2:1 with US, so it's easy to calculate money.

Or just visiting the Mayan Ruins, even in Mexico, may be a good trip if you want history. Most people just think of Cancun or the beaches in Mexico, but there is some stuff inland to see also.

Or my husband's uncle owns a home in Costa Rica, in the mountain areas away from the coast, and everything I've heard is that it is a great place to visit also. Or I've had friends that lived in South America (Brazil & Argentina) for a few years and they loved it there.

• crltxcrltx member
    JoanE2012 said:
    crltx said:

Yes I do know that it isn't the only country lol. But we just went there and will go back one day (we travel often) I don't feel it nesscary to go back to the same region we just left from. No budget really.
  • crltxcrltx member
    Ireland 
    Paris 
    Spain 

As a PP said, each country in Europe is different. Just because you've been to Italy doesn't mean you've seen it all! 
    Husband has been to Ireland. And as I stated before we will be going back to Europe one day to do a big tour across all of it. I don't think it is right to go back asap when we just went there. I was looking for places more descreat but majestic and special in their own way. Not something so broad as paris and spain lol
  • crltx said:
    Ireland 
    Paris 
    Spain 

Husband has been to Ireland. And as I stated before we will be going back to Europe one day to do a big tour across all of it. I don't think it is right to go back asap when we just went there. I was looking for places more descreat but majestic and special in their own way. Not something so broad as paris and spain lol
    Well, Paris is a city. Not exactly very broad. Spain has a lot to offer. Madrid, Barcelona. Listen, we're just trying to help you. Your OP didn't give many parameters. 

How about an African safari? 
    Quebec 
    Peru/Machu Picchu 
    Dubai 
    Cape Town 
  • Why don't you pull up a world map and use that as a guide?  Seriously, DH and I just did that recently to start mulling over our next vacation.  I still think there's some great spots in Europe, but if you insist on a non-European spot, I agree with ClimbingBride.....my first choice would be African Safari.  I'd do South Africa.....Cape Town, safari, wine region with a visit to Victoria Falls. 

Other ides:

Thailand
    Vietnam
    Costa Rica
    Galapagos Islands

You can also consider a river cruise.  Most are throughout Europe, but there are some wonderful looking ones that go through Africa, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.  But some of those will really test your "no budget" comment!
  • I'm a big fan of the African Safari - I'd recommend using a travel advisor though.  They can help you sort out the great tour companies with the not so great ones... Africa is one place I wouldn't want to mess with!

Have you thought about Myanmar? Especially before it opens up to everybody with the big hotels going in past 2017.  A river cruise through Myanmar will definitely be magical!!image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards