Honeymoon Discussions
Options

NHMR: To-dos in Oahu and Maui?

Posting here since it's way more active than The Nest.  :)

Anyone have suggestions for things to do and see in Maui or Oahu (particularly Maui) on a girls trip with my mom?  We are staying two days in Waikiki and two days at Kapolei on Oahu, and five days at Wailea on Maui.  We have booked the obligatory luau :) as well some snorkeling and a car for the road to Hanna, and plan to do a good amount of hiking and bike riding.  What else should we do while there (besides a helicopter ride - I have vetoed that)?

TIA!

Re: NHMR: To-dos in Oahu and Maui?

• Options
    FMIL12FMIL12 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I would take the helicopter ride! We skipped it on our first trip and totally regretted it! Thank goodness we got another chance :) Go see the sunrise at Haleakala for sure! There's this beautiful area on the way to the airport on Maui- it's near this industrial area and back in a residential part so it's really unexpected. I can't think of the name- will try to find it and get back.
  • Options
    Sunrise at Haleakala for sure!  It was amazing!  Pack warm clothes for it, it gets very cold up there!  Snorkeling at Molokai is nice too.  Take a drive around the West Maui mountains too, there were points to stop and walk around.  And the Road to Hanna, but it's already on your list.  

A tip to that is to drive all the way around that part of the island, instead of turning around and driving back.  On the road to Hanna, its very easy for everyone but the driver to get car sick, since its a winding road around the coast.  Passengers are looking everywhere, so they are inclined to get sick.  The far side of the island is not paved all that well (although it's been 10+ years since I've been to Maui) but it is paved.  Most rental car companies don't want you driving around that way (and won't even have a road marked on their maps), but it can save your group from car sickness.  
  • Options
    Definitely the Road to Hana. Plan to stay out all day and pack a lunch. Download the app - it'll give you some cool stops that you may otherwise miss (such as swimming holes). We really enjoyed snorkeling and lounging on the beach. There's a beach called Windsurfer's beach that is really cool. Get there early though because it gets crowded later in the afternoon. There's also a flee market (I can't remember the Hawaiian term) where you can get less expensive souvenirs.
  • Options
    Being a girls trip, I would definitely recommend a visit to Alli Kula Lavender farm! It's located in Upcountry, which is a lovely area anyway and a great contrast to the beaches down below.

You can walk the grounds yourself or take a guided tour (I recommend this since a guide can offer so much more commentary). We also opted for the lavender themed picnic lunch. Just a nice and delightful spot!

Here's a blog post for more into:

If you're into beer, the tour at the Maui Brewing Company was also fun (for beer drinkers, a great sampler, and for non-beer drinkers, an incredible root beer!) It's located in downtown Lahaina.

Enjoy!

My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

There's a neat winery on Maui too, upcountry. . . they have some pineapple wine and whatnot.  It's a nice place to stop if you'll be in that region.

Also, anywhere in Hawaii, get a shave ice. . . heck, get one for me too!  I miss them, so yummy!

• Options
    If you guys really like snorkeling, I suggest renting sets for the week (it was only about $25) and bringing them with you every time you go to the beach. There is a lot of great snorkeling from the shore in West Maui and South Maui. If you go to Kaanapali-the area around the black rock is the second place snorkeling we had (1st was on the Big Island). We did sunset at Haleakala instead of sunrise. We spent about 2 hours before sundown on the Sliding Sands trail-which is absolutely worth it, even if you just go down for an hour and then back up. It's like walking on Mars. If you do the Road to Hana, I recommend driving around the southern end of the island, versus turning around and going back. There's about 5 miles of rough road, but it's so much less nerve-wracking than dealing with all the traffic on those tiny roads. We had a very shitty rental and made it just fine.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    daria24 said:
    If you guys really like snorkeling, I suggest renting sets for the week (it was only about $25) and bringing them with you every time you go to the beach. There is a lot of great snorkeling from the shore in West Maui and South Maui. If you go to Kaanapali-the area around the black rock is the second place snorkeling we had (1st was on the Big Island). We did sunset at Haleakala instead of sunrise. We spent about 2 hours before sundown on the Sliding Sands trail-which is absolutely worth it, even if you just go down for an hour and then back up. It's like walking on Mars. If you do the Road to Hana, I recommend driving around the southern end of the island, versus turning around and going back. There's about 5 miles of rough road, but it's so much less nerve-wracking than dealing with all the traffic on those tiny roads. We had a very shitty rental and made it just fine.

Just be careful if you take this advice because taking the back way will likely void any rental contract you have. . . . drive carefully and pray you don't break down.  If you do break down in that area, be warned that apparently the homes over there are owned by a lot of pot farmers with shotguns, lol.  I'm not sure how friendly they are!
  • Options
    We were just in Maui and Oahu last summer for our honeymoon.
    For Maui:
    • We drove all the way around for the Road to Hana and had no issues.  It is a really narrow road so honk as you're going around curves to avoid accidents.  Also plan an entire day for the trip.
    • Lahaina was great to just walk around the little shops and grab dinner.
    • Black Rock in Kaanapali was the best snorkeling we found on Maui
    For Oahu:
    • Diamond Head was a nice quick hike with a great view
    • Hanauma Bay was great for snorkeling
    • There's lots of great local restaurants too.  We really enjoyed Rainbow Drive-In (http://rainbowdrivein.com/) for a cheaper meal and we were able to walk to it from our hotel in Waikiki.
  • Options
    crltxcrltx member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

I lived in Kapolei:). And now live 10min away :)

When you are on Oahu go everywhere on the north shore/haewia area. All of those beaches are beautiful. They have Wameia falls hike/waterfall right up there too with a great farmers market with local food vendors (cooked and raw), music fresh squeezed lemonade and anything you could ask for after your hike. That is open on Thursdays at 3pm. If you are in to the American pride thing you have the punchbowl cemetery (free) that is dedicated to lives lost in WW11, Vietnam and the Korean war. Beautiful place with a beautiful lookout of the city. Of course there is pearl harbor here too. Most of it is free unless you want to go to the Battle ships. When you are in Wakiki eat at Dukes and go to the mai tai bar. For shopping there is Ala Moana (super expensive nice stores but some cheaper ones in between).

When in Maui the red sand beach, black sand beach (like nothing you have ever seen or felt!), when on the road to hana stop at the vendors (on in particular had the BEST pineapple coconut bread), go to the seven pools, Charles Lindbergh grave, every little waterfall (three bears etc), find the RAINBOW trees!! They are so beautiful and vibrant. We have them on Oahu too...but nothing beats the colors in Maui on the road to hana. Halekala sunset is what we went to also. We stopped at the store going up the mountain and got a bottle of wine, some cups and sipped it while watching the sunset, it was fantastic. Bring super warm clothes. It gets VERY cold up there.

Most importantly remember that Hawaiian waters carry leptoserosis and be careful if it is brown or just rained and you swim in fresh water. Don't go in if you have cuts and watch your eyes.

• Options
    On Oahu, go have lunch at the Kahala--lovely resort--and check out Kailua.  That was my favorite non-surfing beach on Oahu.  

If it's the right season, go up to north shore and check out surfing.  Hot bodies, big waves.

One day we did "the Circle Island"--it's a drive around the entire island.  Great way to see it all.  Pause at "The Blowhole" if you've seen "From Here to Eternity."

Take a surf lesson in front of the Royal Hawaiian hotel in Waikiki.  

I didn't snorkel in Hanauma Bay, but went to go see it and take a picture at the top.

If you liked "Lost," you can go see where it's filmed.

Like outdoors?  Climb Diamond Head.  Bring a light jacket.

If you like history, go see Pearl Harbor and drop an orchid in the water in memory.

And eat lots of ahi poke.  It's the best.
  • Options
    Sunrise at Haleakala - Please double check the sunrise time.  
    The hotel concierge told us the wrong time and we had to drive away before the sunrise as we had already booked a helicopter tour too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards