Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Appetizer Shooters

What do you guys think of the pre-portioned individual serving "shooters" for appetizers?  I've seen these for practically everything from Veggies w/dip, Fruit cocktails, Antipasto, Shrimp w/cocktail sauce, Gazpacho w/toast, Springrolls w/duck sauce and everything in between.

I'm kinda loving the idea of them (and skewers).  They're pre-portioned, grab and go, and you don't have to worry about extra someones having accidentally touched your food.  So...easy + more sanitary!  Only downside I would see is that you'd need bussers to go extra rounds to pick up empty shot glasses.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b

Re: Appetizer Shooters

• I prefer skewers leaps and bounds over shooters. All the stuff never seems to come out of a shooter, if it's something you're actually supposed to "shoot." And for things like veggies and dip, I like to portion out my own rather than feel like a fatty for taking 4 6 of them. Plus I only like some of the veggies so I like to choose my own.

They're really no more sanitary if any of the food sticks up out of the glass. Anyone could just as easily have brushed their hand against that as any other hors d'oeuvres.

• Do caterers not put out tongs anymore for appetizers?

• Do caterers not put out tongs anymore for appetizers?
    Every catered event that I've been to always has them.
  • I prefer skewers leaps and bounds over shooters. All the stuff never seems to come out of a shooter, if it's something you're actually supposed to "shoot." And for things like veggies and dip, I like to portion out my own rather than feel like a fatty for taking 4 6 of them. Plus I only like some of the veggies so I like to choose my own.

They're really no more sanitary if any of the food sticks up out of the glass. Anyone could just as easily have brushed their hand against that as any other hors d'oeuvres.
    Fair points.
    Do caterers not put out tongs anymore for appetizers?
    They do. I just know at events I've been to, you always see or hear of at least one person who didn't use them. Shooters wouldn't necessarily help with that, though.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  •  I love the look.    Labor wise it's pretty intensive and might cost more.

I'm not one who thinks about germs like that.   It just doesn't bother me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love & approve this idea. 
  • lyndausvi said:
     I love the look.    Labor wise it's pretty intensive and might cost more.

I'm not one who thinks about germs like that.   It just doesn't bother me.
    This.

Do caterers not put out tongs anymore for appetizers?
    They do. I just know at events I've been to, you always see or hear of at least one person who didn't use them. Shooters wouldn't necessarily help with that, though.
    Okay, but unless a person is picking up pieces of appetizers, holding them in their hands and then putting them back down I really don't see the issue.

• I think they're cute and like the idea of them.

But that's really as far as my thought process goes. I don't think that they're more "sanitary" and don't even necessarily think that they're better in reality (I ditto wanting more dip sometimes and being able to portion my own).

I guess it just depends on WHAT the shooters have in them. I like individual sized stuff and I fill up pretty quickly and I'm a notorious over-server (so having things pre-portioned helps me!).
  • One of our passed apps was a demi tasse of clam chowder with a mini clamcake.  The people who had it loved it, but I found out later that a number of guests passed on trying it because they were afraid of spilling it on their formalwear.  So, that's something else to keep in mind.
  • If most of the appetizers were in shot glasses, you'd have a shit ton of them all over the place!  I mean, I'd probably have at least 10-15 if all it had was a couple of carrot sticks or whatever.  If there were 100 guests, that's 1000-1500?  You'd really need someone to keep on top of that or your venue will look trashy really fast.  Not to mention, that will be more expensive (prepping each one) than just setting out a tray.  I'd rather have one plate that I carried around and picked what I want (with tongs!).
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My fav form of passed apps are bite sized or slightly larger than bite sized pieces served on a tray with a napkin. I can pop it in my mouth without a mess and then don't have to discard anything, as I can hang onto the napkin with my drink. I hate pulling meat off skewers. It sticks and I always think I'm going to fling it at someone plus, hard to do while standing with a drink.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards