Wedding Woes

parents stressing me out about where to live!!!

So my fiance and I both own a home and it's both of our second marriages. It's been a big stressor of what to do once we get married. I own a ranch house and he owns a two family with his mother living in an apartment attached. His son also lives with him half the time. He has a small mortgage since he bought cheap and gutted it out and redid a lot. My mortgage is twice as much. We have decided to try and sell.or rent to later sell my house since he has put his heart into his house, cheaper mortgage and will have a rental property. I am super stressed about this whole process. On top of the fact I know my parents will be really upset I'm getting rid of my home. They've been very proud of me for owning a home on my own and being able to keep it in the divorce. I'm stressed about how they feel so much it makes me feel sick. I hate it. I'm 35 years old and I feel as if it shouldn't matter. It's my life and what we want to do. Ugh. Anyone else deal with this? I just needed to vent and wish I didn't worry so much!

Re: parents stressing me out about where to live!!!

• If your parents are this much of a problem about this they are WAY too involved in your life and your decisions.  Three of our girls are in their 30's and I would NEVER dream of interferring in such a big decision. 

• Your parents do not have a say. Period. This is about what works best for your marriage, not parental happiness. As a wife, you choose your husband, your marriage, and good of YOUR family (as in, you, hubs and kids) over your parents...EVERY TIME.

That being said, how old is his kid- college age or elem school? If the kid is older, don't plan with him in mind. Are you having more kids? If yes, which house will work best for small children? Which has better resale value?

And, seriously, if your parents butt in again, only say, "My husband and I have made the best decision for our family. There is nothing more to discuss."
  • Thanks for the responses! These are things I need to hear. His son is 7 years old and it would be best for him to keep his same room. My parents seem to only think of what they think is best and have a hard time looking beyond that perspective. They love my home but I don't really care about it so much. It's only a ranch and I'd rather have a two story home. It's just hard because I'm so sensitive and don't want there to then be negative attitude because they are not pleased with something I did. But hey they are my parents and I won't always please them....lol
  • Obviously, I don't know your parents...but I'm picking up from your post that they just love you and are really proud that you bought a house in your early adulthood.  That it isn't so much this specific house as it is that you were able to buy it.  If so, then part of being a responsible adult is also knowing when it is the right time to rent/sell a house.  And they should be just as proud.

But, if that isn't the case, they will have to adjust their viewpoint.  Maybe when you tell them about the plan, talk about it in an excited and positive tone.  Something like, "Hey parents, I have great news!  Mr. JenMickey79 and I were trying to decide our best option on where to live.  I can rent my house for $ (or I can sell my house for $) and, because his mortgage is so much less than mine we'll come out way better financially that way!"  I personally think it would be odd and don't understand why they would care very much what you do with your house...as long as you are making the best decisions for yourself.

On a slightly different note.  I own a duplex...live on one side and rent out the other.  If you do go the rental route, feel free to PM me if you want any advice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, this is the second go around for you both. Parents don't get a say if it's only about feelings and sentiment (as opposed to "I'm being evicted" ;))

To be fair, there is NOTHING about the buy/sell process that is not BP raising, hair pulling, panic attacking and ulcer inducing...but it gets settled down in the end.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • the only time your parents would get a say in this situation is if they have financial interest in the house. if you fully own your home (or they are not co-signers on the loan) then you can do whatever the hell you want with it. sounds like you need to stop discussing this with your parents, or tell them to MYOB if they keep giving unsolicited advice.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2014
    I'm trying to sell a house and my mom's my agent and it's still one of the most stressful, insomnia-inducing things I've ever done.  The whole process is for the birds. 

My IL's have lived in the same house for 30+ years and can't fathom selling their house.  They asked us why we didn't just 'put an addition'  (something they did to their house) on our house instead of selling it.  It's annoying, but we try to just ignore them. 

I get that you may be more sensitive about this issue because it sounds like your parents were a source of at least emotional support through your divorce and they are happy that you are 'successful' after it. My husband was married before me and I know that my IL's helped him out a lot through and after his divorce.  When I came along they were at a loss in a way because he didn't 'need' them anymore.  It made for some interesting times early in our relationship. 

YAY you for keeping a house through a divorce, but that doesn't mean you're married to the house forever.  ;) So, just do you.  It's hard to ignore your parents because they're your parents, but in this situation you need to do what's best for your family (you, FI, stepson).  

• I agree. My parents have lived in the same house their whole lives so I'm sure it's hard to understand even selling a home. My house is only in my name. I know I need to reinforce the financial aspect of it to get them to understand why. But they should just deal with it and be happy that I'm finally happy and show that more. I guess it's the whole second marriage thing too.
  • So my house is going up on the market next week! Super stressful and exciting! So much to do!
  • Good luck!   
  • Thank you all for the responses! Hopefully the conversation I have with my parents will go well.....lol
  • The decision you are making makes financial sense.  Good luck!  And it's not about making your parents happy, it's about YOU being happy.  They will understand :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• just burn down your house, collect the insurance money and put it towards the other house and bam -- no house for your parents to worry about. 
  • So I talked to my mother tonight. I'm just not good at conversations like this. It was hard to get her to understand that selling my house would be better financially. Since his income would be joining mine she thought we would be fine. We would be but looking at the 2 houses comparably it was a huge difference. His mortgage is literally half of mine. I also had to refinance about 4 years ago so I still have about 26 years left. His is about 15 years. So just looking at it that way makes sense to sell my house right? She still kept trying to argue about it. But in the end she said it was my decision and that it was my house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards