Moms and Maids

Bridesmaids gifts for my sisters...I need ideas!

I don't know why this is so hard. I'm close with both of my younger sisters. They're my Matron and Maid of Honors! I've figured out and mostly purchased gifts for the rest of the bridal party...with the exception of small things that I want to add as part of everyone's overall gift...but I don't know why I can't settle on a gift for my sisters. Maybe you can help me come up with some ideas?

My Matron of Honor is 25, she got married last year. She and her H are currently renting a home and are about to get a new puppy. I've heard her say in passing how much she would love a Tori Burch clutch...but those run around $200 and I really only feel comfortable spending up to $150. She loves brands like Tori Burch (of course), Lily Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines. She's seriously in to CrossFit. She used to drink wine but not as much any more because she thinks she has an allergy. She already has a Pandora bracelet and a David Yurman bracelet. Her birthstone is a sapphire...but any decent looking sapphire jewelry is out way out of budget. I've been watching eBay for Tori Burch deals but they always end up selling for over my budget for ones that come new with tags. So anyway...at a loss here. I don't know why this has become so hard? Maybe I should just buy her something from one of her registries? Would that be weird?

Second sister is my maid of honor. She's 22, about halfway through college. I don't honestly feel like I know what her interests are anymore beyond going out to movies, drinking, and hanging out with her friends. She's your stereotypical college student. She's also constantly losing and breaking her phone. If I had to guess, I'd say she's had at least 10 to 15 cell phones ever since she first got one in her early teens. I'd get her a cover or something...but it seems like a waste of money since she'll just lose or break it within the month or week at the rate she goes through them. I don't want to get her anything too nice as far as maybe wine glasses or beer glasses because her roommates are incredibly destructive and don't seem to care about other's personal property. She wants big items, like some furniture for her room at college...but that just doesn't come across as an appropriate bridesmaids gift...and certainly not something I can easily gift her before the wedding. I've thought about starting her a Pandora bracelet since she doesn't have one yet but my mom says she doesn't really wear bracelets. She wears jewelry pretty much daily...but I don't have any other good ideas for something that would be memorable and personal. Her birthstone is a diamond... and that's definitely out of the question. So, hit me with something cool that happy go lucky, laid back, beer drinking college student would love.

Re: Bridesmaids gifts for my sisters...I need ideas!

• I don't know why this is so hard. I'm close with both of my younger sisters. They're my Matron and Maid of Honors! I've figured out and mostly purchased gifts for the rest of the bridal party...with the exception of small things that I want to add as part of everyone's overall gift...but I don't know why I can't settle on a gift for my sisters. Maybe you can help me come up with some ideas?

My Matron of Honor is 25, she got married last year. She and her H are currently renting a home and are about to get a new puppy. I've heard her say in passing how much she would love a Tori Burch clutch...but those run around $200 and I really only feel comfortable spending up to $150. She loves brands like Tori Burch (of course), Lily Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines. She's seriously in to CrossFit. She used to drink wine but not as much any more because she thinks she has an allergy. She already has a Pandora bracelet and a David Yurman bracelet. Her birthstone is a sapphire...but any decent looking sapphire jewelry is out way out of budget. I've been watching eBay for Tori Burch deals but they always end up selling for over my budget for ones that come new with tags. So anyway...at a loss here. I don't know why this has become so hard? Maybe I should just buy her something from one of her registries? Would that be weird?

Second sister is my maid of honor. She's 22, about halfway through college. I don't honestly feel like I know what her interests are anymore beyond going out to movies, drinking, and hanging out with her friends. She's your stereotypical college student. She's also constantly losing and breaking her phone. If I had to guess, I'd say she's had at least 10 to 15 cell phones ever since she first got one in her early teens. I'd get her a cover or something...but it seems like a waste of money since she'll just lose or break it within the month or week at the rate she goes through them. I don't want to get her anything too nice as far as maybe wine glasses or beer glasses because her roommates are incredibly destructive and don't seem to care about other's personal property. She wants big items, like some furniture for her room at college...but that just doesn't come across as an appropriate bridesmaids gift...and certainly not something I can easily gift her before the wedding. I've thought about starting her a Pandora bracelet since she doesn't have one yet but my mom says she doesn't really wear bracelets. She wears jewelry pretty much daily...but I don't have any other good ideas for something that would be memorable and personal. Her birthstone is a diamond... and that's definitely out of the question. So, hit me with something cool that happy go lucky, laid back, beer drinking college student would love.

Stuck in the box:

Gift certificate to her favorite pizza place?  I'm trying to think what I liked when I was that age but it's been a while.  I was about that age when I got my first "grown up" purse.  Up till then it had been my messenger bag or just shoving stuff in my pockets for the most part.  

Don't get hung up on jewelry having to be their birthstone.  I rarely wear mine.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Will your sister get her puppy before your wedding? A gift card to a local pet supply shop, a good quality dog bed. My dogs love this one  http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/44737?feat=pets-SR0&page=premium-denim-dog-bed-replacement-cover-rectangular . I like the idea of getting her something from one of her registries because you know it's something that she'll like.

College age sister - my kids loved gift cards to restaurants that were near campus, discount department store ( she can pick out something for her dorm room).

• Will your sister get her puppy before your wedding? A gift card to a local pet supply shop, a good quality dog bed. My dogs love this one  http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/44737?feat=pets-SR0&page=premium-denim-dog-bed-replacement-cover-rectangular . I like the idea of getting her something from one of her registries because you know it's something that she'll like.

College age sister - my kids loved gift cards to restaurants that were near campus, discount department store or campus book store.

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

@MairePoppy She's getting her puppy this week! I'm excited to meet my "fur-nephew" lol but unfortunately the wedding isn't for another 4 monthsish so it would probably be a little weird to get her something dog related for her gift. I'll have to check out her registries to see if she still has anything that isn't "complete" and pick that up. I found out Tory Burch has jewelry so I might get her a necklace or a pair of earrings along with an item off registry for her gift.

I still feel unsure on sister #2. I'm just not into giving gift cards as their sole gift. Usually when we exchange Christmas gifts I like to give them a giftcard on top of a physical gift. I like the idea of getting her a card for one of her favorite clothing stores or a pizza place or something. Too bad they don't have a Total Wine in her college town...I know she'd use a gift card there! What would be a good physical item to go in conjunction with a gift card?

• Instead of a big $150 gift, what if you gave each of them smaller little gift baskets with stuff - gift cards to restaurants, movie theatre, puppy treats for the sister that's getting a puppy.
  • I know there is no way to come off other than sounding materialistic, but I am a hater of gift cards.  They seem to be the "cash gift of the 21st century" and you would not give them cash.  This is cash, but restricting where it gets spent and has all the sentimentality of a belch.  A lasting token of appreciation will be held for years to come.  As in "oh, this is what my sister gave me at her wedding".  The last time I looked, even Walmart had a jewelry counter with items that are reasonably priced, including sapphires.  Your college aged sister might benefit from a nice watch (Sears often sells Seiko at VERY reasonable prices). For the older sister, Tori Burch has outlets.  If she likes the designer brands, then you can also look at Michael Kors and Coach.
  • you can also check amazon and ebay for the clutch
  • labrolabro member
    you can also check amazon and ebay for the clutch

Thanks! Amazon's prices reflect what you pay on the website unfortunately. I've been tracking Ebay but most of the clutches that start within my budget soon jump to astronomical prices so I've kind of given up there for now. :)

• College years - second best present was a year subscription to a monthly cookie and fruit deal. Yay junk food! Best however really was cash. I had so many random little things I needed, the $50 was very very helpful, plus I didn't have more stuff to pack and move.
  • labrolabro member
    @PrincessOfHavoc Thanks! It's so hard. I hate giving straight cash or giftcards as a gift but I know what you mean! I was poor as dirt in college and would have LOVED for someone to buy me dinner, some wine/beer, and give me money for groceries. I might just give her a 12 pack to take back to school (since the wedding will be in the middle of her fall semester) along with some giftcards for groceries/Macy's/whatever and maybe a new Alex & Ani bracelet to go with the one my other sister gave us at her wedding.

• Have you tried HauteLook.com? It's another designer auction website.
  • labrolabro member

@dancinxqueen324 I ended up buying her these studs from Tory Burch instead! I just couldn't justify the money for the clutch as much as I wanted to get her one.

I got my other sister a braided Pandora bracelet with a single charm on it as well and ended up spending about the same amount on both of them. I figure at least with the braided bracelet over an actual silver or gold bracelet that I'll be less heartbroken if she breaks or loses it or someone steals it while she is at college. Plus the braided strands fit her day to day look at lot more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards