Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

postage rates

jules3964jules3964 member
First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

I took my completed pocket-fold invites into two different post offices for weighing, and have gotten two different quotes for postage costs: one lady said $1.12 (huh?!), the other said .70. 

I was relieved when I got the quote for .70 (since I felt like the other woman was being extra picky), but now I'm paranoid that if I don't fork over the extra postage, the invitations might get returned or that guests would have to pay postage upon receipt. BUT I definitely don't want to pay more than is necessary. Why is this even up for debate? It's annoying that I'm even getting two different quotes. Shouldn't it be more straight-forward?

The woman who quoted me $1.12 said that the envelope was too thick in the middle (from the belly band) and would get stuck/rejected by the machine. She said otherwise it would be .70. But by online calculations, the non-machinable cost would only make it go up to .91, so I think she's still wrong.

The 2nd woman who quoted me .70 was not concerned about the thickness.

What should I do? Get a third quote? Go with .91 just to be safe?

Re: postage rates

• Options
    I'd go to another post office. It sounds like their machines aren't calibrated.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    They should have a mock up of the slot it needs to fit through to test it for size.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know it's probably a pain, but I would go to a third post office and ask.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I had the same problem. One lady told me $0.91 and the other post office told me $2.31. I got the same reasoning, because it was too thick and wouldn't fit through the machine. I only had 20 invitations to mail so I went ahead and paid the higher postage rate to make sure nobody got stuck paying postage due upon receipt. 

Do you have an extra invitation you can mail to yourself at the cheaper price to see if it makes it?
  • Options
    I had the same problem. One lady told me $0.91 and the other post office told me $2.31. I got the same reasoning, because it was too thick and wouldn't fit through the machine. I only had 20 invitations to mail so I went ahead and paid the higher postage rate to make sure nobody got stuck paying postage due upon receipt. 

Do you have an extra invitation you can mail to yourself at the cheaper price to see if it makes it?
    Yeah, I actually mailed one with the lower rate to myself, and received it yesterday just fine! I guess I'm more concerned that some other post office in another state would think it needed more postage (since it seems to be up for debate and not straightforward), so I do plan to check one more post office and see what they say. 

I guess in the end it is worth it to pay more, if it means all our guests will definitely receive their invites. But I will see what the third person says.
  • Options
    jules3964jules3964 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    mysticl said:
    They should have a mock up of the slot it needs to fit through to test it for size.  
    Yeah, the lady who quoted a higher rate used this. It fit through it, but had to be pushed just a bit. She said the machine would reject them. It looked to me like it fit through it just fine. Apparently this is a judgement call? Does it have to fit through without touching the top/bottom sides?? 
  • Options
    jules3964 said:
    mysticl said:
    Yeah, the lady who quoted a higher rate used this. It fit through it, but had to be pushed just a bit. She said the machine would reject them. It looked to me like it fit through it just fine. Apparently this is a judgement call? Does it have to fit through without touching the top/bottom sides?? 

STIB:
    I think in order to go through the machine it has to slide through that slot without any help. If she had to push it then it may get stuck in the machine and be rejected. 
  • Options
    jules3964 said:
    mysticl said:

STIB:
    I think in order to go through the machine it has to slide through that slot without any help. If she had to push it then it may get stuck in the machine and be rejected. 
  • Options
    jules3964 said:
    mysticl said:

STIB:
    Thank you! Sounds like I may have to pay more then just to be safe. 
  • Options
    I had the same exact situation, but the two quotes came from 2 people at the same PO. The guy kind of whispered "listen, we're the ones who make that call, and I say they're fine." Went with 0.70 and haven't gotten any returned except 2 wrong addresses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards