Outdoor Weddings
Options

Brick Oven Pizza Catering....

Random question...I have posted before about food for our wedding.  For some reason I am just not settled with the traditional beef and chicken buffet type of thing.  I just feel it doesn't go with our personality.  But I also want to make sure that our guests are properly hosted (hence all of the questions regarding food and beverage).  Today I was doing research and came across a brick oven pizza truck that does events such as weddings, engagements, concerts, graduations, etc.  The do high end brick oven pizzas on site.  It is awesome looking!  And honestly totally us.  We are having an outdoor/backyard (nice) wedding.  Starting 4/5ish ceremony.  Hosted cocktail hour to follow reception (coffee, soda, water, beer, wine, liquor, iced tea, lemonade).  If we went with this food idea we would be doing appetizers consisting of veggie shooters, fruit display, bruschetta, meatballs and a meat/cracker/cheese display.  After the cocktail hour we would go into dinner which would consist of the gourmet brick oven pizzas, salad, breadsticks, and probably two chaffed pasta dishes (alfredo and zitti spaghetti sauce).  We would have a dessert table with the wedding/cupcake tower for later.  As a guest at a meal time event how would you feel about this?  Would you think it was different and fun?  Or would you be unhappy with the choice?

Re: Brick Oven Pizza Catering....

• Options
    I am a pizza junkie, so I would be SO excited about this.

You could include pizza topping options as meal choices on your RSVP cards (not individual toppings, but more like combinations) to cut down on how many different styles of pizza the truck has to consider.

Would they just be cooking in the truck, and then delivering the pizzas to the table? Or would they be handing off slices from the truck? If you were planning on doing seating arrangements, you could have them bring out a cheese pizza to each to start with, and then follow it with a slice of whatever the guest marked on their RSVP card. You might need to get cheap pizza pans, wire stands, and a spatula or something for each table.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @beetheryThey would most likely be making the pizzas during the cocktail hour.  They would be cut and displayed nicely on a buffet in front of the brick oven truck.  On the ends of the pizza buffet there would be the salad and chaffing dishes with the pasta choices.  The display would be a stacked type of table display.  Some low, some medium and some high.  And they would just continue to cook the pizzas throughout the serving process. 

I am totally pumped about it.  I love pizza as well.  Especially good brick oven pizza.  Plus I think it is something a little more memorable than the traditional chicken and beef.  

• Options
    @beetheryThey would most likely be making the pizzas during the cocktail hour.  They would be cut and displayed nicely on a buffet in front of the brick oven truck.  On the ends of the pizza buffet there would be the salad and chaffing dishes with the pasta choices.  The display would be a stacked type of table display.  Some low, some medium and some high.  And they would just continue to cook the pizzas throughout the serving process. 

I am totally pumped about it.  I love pizza as well.  Especially good brick oven pizza.  Plus I think it is something a little more memorable than the traditional chicken and beef.  

Perfect! I love it. I will suggest that you have a vegan/veg option besides salad though. Maybe have a pesto pasta that passes in that so that anyone who doesn't do dairy or meat won't be stuck with a salad. You are off and running!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I think that sounds awesome! Although I am also doing a food truck, so perhaps I am a bit biased :)
  • Options
    Good idea.  Maybe opt for that instead of the marinara/zitti.  Although the marinara wouldn't have meat in it.  But I forgot about dairy, so that's a good point.
  • Options
    Can I be invited because I love me some brick oven pizzas!!

I also agree adding in another option for those vegan/veg guests.  Maybe talk to the pizza food truck to see if they can come up with a veg/vegan pizza option.

• Options
    I love this idea! 

Can I make a suggestion? I have a wheat allergy (it's legit, I'm not just a jerky gluten-free person) so it would be awesome if you had a gluten free dough option. 

And seriously, if you didn't have a GF dough, I would just eat the regular dough and be sick. That's how much I love pizza. 
  • Options
    lol I will have a gluten free option.  One of our good friends is allergic to gluten so I would make sure that option along with a veg option is available for people.
  • Options
    I would honestly love this. So many weddings I've been too have food that is 'fancy' but not very good- go for it, everyone loves pizza!
  • Options
    I honestly don't get it.  We're having an outdoor wedding.  The people we are inviting are people we see on the regular.  I'm not inviting people I don't know.  I think everyone knows their individual guest list better than other people.  Since we are doing everything outside at one location, a "traditional" buffet would have to be set up prior to the ceremony.  That doesn't sound fun or appealing to me.  This on the other hand kind of rocks my little world.  :)
  • Options
    I think your menu sounds wonderful & goes perfect with the venue. It's nicer then a backyard BBQ but still casual enough to fit the event. Go for it!!!
  • Options
    Are you in North Jersey/ Staten Island?
  • Options
    If my venue didn't already include catering, I would so do this! I love pizza :)
  • Options
    No @drina0218 Our wedding is in Delaware.  But if you're asking because of the pizza truck I do believe they serve the NJ area.  

So just as an update I had a meeting with them last night.  They assured me that they just did a wedding for 175 people this weekend (and booked a wedding off of that event).  They can turn out 100 pizzas an hour and each pizza has 8 slices.  So essentially they are putting out 800 slices of fresh pizza an hour.  Depending on the party size they cook anywhere from 2-3 hours.  And also have staffing from 2-5 people depending on party size.  The pizzas are rotated every 5 minutes, which means they do not have pizzas sitting out for more than five minutes to maintain the freshness and quality.  Also they stated that their business basically depends on word of mouth.  They would not take an event they didn't feel that they were capable of doing well because they don't want that kind of advertising.  And our guest list is on the smaller side to the crowds that they are use to, so they are confident in the fact that NO ONE WILL BE WAITING FOR FOOD!  They also handle the buffet set up and display.

Sooooo Brick Oven Pizza for me!  :)  lol
  • Options
    I went to a wedding with brick oven pizza and it was SUPER tasty and worked so well! And it was fun :) Sounds like a great option for you !
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    A close friend of mine owns a pizza truck.  He did my 30th birthday party and our rehearsal dinner.  It is ALWAYS a crowd favorite.  He makes some interesting combos to have at the ready, or people can come up and request specific pies.  If you have the option of choosing. . . . prusciutto, garlic and arugula with a cracked egg on it is unreal and my all-time favorite EVER is mashed potatoes, bacon and carmelized onions.
  • Options
    ValB15ValB15 member
    First Comment
    Sounds awesome! I would be thrilled!
  • Options
    Ahhh I want to steal this idea. I love Pizza and I would be pretty excited to see this at a wedding.
    August 9, 2015
  • Options
    Thanks...Things kind of went awry the past couple of weeks and we basically had to start from scratch!  :(  Including changing our date and location.  So were going to be doing fall (Sept/Oct 2015) at a barn location with the brick oven pizza, salad, pasta, gelato and coffee/cappuccino.  Now I don't have to worry about anything other than having a good time!
  • Options

Glad that you were able to keep the food you wanted even though you had to change other details.

• Options
    Thanks...Things kind of went awry the past couple of weeks and we basically had to start from scratch!  :(  Including changing our date and location.  So were going to be doing fall (Sept/Oct 2015) at a barn location with the brick oven pizza, salad, pasta, gelato and coffee/cappuccino.  Now I don't have to worry about anything other than having a good time!
    I didn't think a brick oven pizza wedding could be topped... but you added in gelato and I feel like I might crash your wedding now.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Well I took a little break from the wedding stuff.  And then I got awesome news yesterday.  We were the winners of a dream wedding cake by Dana Herbert from Desserts by Dana AKA "The Sugar Daddy" "King of Cakes"  lol He was the winner on Cake Boss:  The Next Great Baker and TLC's Cake Off.  lol Now I guess I'm back to planning mode...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards