Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Need Help Deciding on a Wedding Date

We have finally decided on a venue, the Flour Mill in McKinney!  Now we are torn between the two dates they have available in the spring- March 7 and May 16.  I am leaning towards May but fiance toward March.  I am nervous about the weather being iffy in March, but then again I am worried about it being too hot in May.  The worst thing in my opinion is a hot wedding reception and since the Flour Mill is an older building, that is a concern.  (Also seeking ideas for additional cooling methods.)  I will be moving 5 hours away after the wedding and the lease is up on my apartment at the end of Feb.  I am concerned that packing up an apartment and moving everything may be too much to handle for a March 7 wedding and I don't want to be crunched for time.  Please weigh in with opinions!  I can't decide on the date and need to make a decision this week!

Re: Need Help Deciding on a Wedding Date

• Options
    Based only on the temperature, I would say go with March. I feel like you may have a SLIGHTLY higher risk of rain, but it also rains in May, so that's really not a great reason to avoid March. I get that packing and moving would be stressful -- I moved out of my apartment a couple weeks after my wedding (and hubby was working 6 hours away and couldn't come help). Is there a chance your apartment will let you renew on a month-to-month basis so that you can put off worrying about the move until after your wedding?
    Anniversary

• Options
    My apartment will let me go month to month but they charge an insane amount to do that.  My parents live close so I can move out and stay at their house temporarily if I need to.  I am more worried about ice or snow vs. rain.  You never know what the winter will do here in Texas!  I will have to quit my job before the wedding and April will mark 2 years with my company.  I was wanting to have as much time on my resume here as possible before I move too.  I'm so torn!
  • Options
    It kind of sounds like you'd have a lot on your plate regardless of which date you choose.  =(
    Anniversary

• Options
    I went to a wedding at Flour Mill in June and it wasn't too hot at all!  It's older but they do have AC and it's very open inside so it didn't feel stuffy.  So May probably won't be too hot for you.  Also, consider using a coordinator, I have a FULL plate and I'm getting married next March so I hired Amy Lacey, she does Day Of but it's a lot more than that and she has already helped me keep my (and my fiancé's) stress levels down! amylaceyweddings.weebly.com  Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    I'm leaning towards May. We still had ice storms in March, and the rain can be pretty crazy too. May can be hot, but the past few years have been pretty mild in May (in my opinion at least). Plus moving so soon before the wedding date would be a lot more stress, so May would give you more time to comfortably move and work on wedding-related things. Just my two cents though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I wouldn't let the weather dictate my date, especially since we know how funky weather is around here. With a 5 hour move, are you starting a new job around that time too? Also, would you be able to start slowly moving prior to your lease being up? If you are starting a new job I would say go with May so you have a little time to settle in. If you are able to slowly start moving before your lease is up, you could do that and take less stress off of yourself, whether or not you go with March or May. If you take too long deciding, the decision may end up being made for you by someone else booking one of those date.

As far as the weather goes, mid May is usually pretty mild and if you're concerned about the heat then I would suggest having your wedding a little earlier in the day or slightly later in the evening. Early March could be nice but will be a bit cooler and possibly have winter weather carry over. We tend to have a little more precipitation in May.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/75070

• Options
    I won't be starting a new job right away so I am not worried about getting settled.  I do plan on quitting a few weeks before the wedding to give me time to tie up loose ends and any other details that I know will pop up at the last minute.  I have a friend who I was thinking about asking to be a bridesmaid say she won't come if it's in May due to her sister's graduation.  I think I am leaning towards March now but the weather still does make me nervous.  

Thanks for the input! 
  • Options
    I wouldn't really worry about the weather too much. We've never had snow in May, but that doesn't mean we won't have hail storms, tornados, etc.
  • Options
    I agree -- it is something you may just have to risk.

I got married the first weekend in November in 2011.  Another bride got married the same weekend in 2009.  Both of us had gorgeous weather on our wedding day, but in 2010 it was frigid.  My point is, SOMETIMES March is unusually cold, but you are more likely to get beautiful Spring temperatures.  And I would much prefer a cooler March day to a sticky, hot May day.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I pulled the trigger and we decided on March 7! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards