Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bride & Groom at Cocktail Hour

What are your thoughts of the bride and groom attending cocktail hour? I know this is normally when pictures are done, but I don't think we will need the whole hour and I would like to join the cocktail hour if we have time (I mean I'm delicious appetizers out I would like to be able to eat some of them haha). I plan on doing a few posed key pictures with family and the wedding party during the cocktail hour, but I want my photographer to concentrate more on candid shots of the whole wedding celebration. 

I'm worried though if I show up during cocktail hour people could consider it rude or tacky. Also, if the bride and groom are at the cocktail hour does the DJ announce them as they enter the cocktail hour or do you just show up and start mingling and then still get announced at the start of the reception, or do you skip the announcement all together? I'm probably over thinking this but would rather over think than just guess and do it wrong. 

Re: Bride & Groom at Cocktail Hour

• Options
    What are your thoughts of the bride and groom attending cocktail hour? I know this is normally when pictures are done, but I don't think we will need the whole hour and I would like to join the cocktail hour if we have time (I mean I'm delicious appetizers out I would like to be able to eat some of them haha). I plan on doing a few posed key pictures with family and the wedding party during the cocktail hour, but I want my photographer to concentrate more on candid shots of the whole wedding celebration. 

I'm worried though if I show up during cocktail hour people could consider it rude or tacky. Also, if the bride and groom are at the cocktail hour does the DJ announce them as they enter the cocktail hour or do you just show up and start mingling and then still get announced at the start of the reception, or do you skip the announcement all together? I'm probably over thinking this but would rather over think than just guess and do it wrong. 

Yep, overthinking. Go to the cocktail hour and be announced at the reception.
  • Options
    I've never heard that of being considered rude. 

We're doing all our pictures before and will be attending the cocktail hour. 
  • Options
    another vote for over-thinking.

We attended the last little bit of our cocktail hour.  Didn't think much about it.   

The only time I side-eye a couple at the  cocktail hour is if they make me wait for said cocktail hour so they can take pictures and stuff.     The whole purpose of cocktail hour is to give the guests something to do before the reception starts and while you are taking pictures.

If you get the pictures done early, of course join your guests.     

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

I agree with PPs. And, you don't HAVE to do a big announcement for your reception. I kinda think those are a little AW-ish (just my opinion).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    W are taking pictures in advance so we can be available to attend cocktail hour with our guests.  I want to be sure I get the opportunity to speak to everyone.  I don't think it is tacky at all.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Totally fine.  Get your apps and drinks on!
    Anniversary

• Options
    We got to our cocktail hour about hallway through it.  I had someone who was in the hallway go into the reception room and let the DJ know we were there and ready to be announced.  He came out and informed me that cocktail hour wasn't over, I said I know and we're joining it.  I sure wasn't hanging out in the lobby for half an hour.  He announced us (just us, no bridal party or family) and we went in and got some food.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely not tacky! We plan to do this too once we wrap up photos, because I really don't want to miss the amazing appetizers we are having. It will also be great to spend some time with guests before dinner.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Not tacking you are overthinking it. I was able to attend about half of cocktail hour, I started mingling with people while eating mashed potatoes.  There was no way I was missing out on the mashed potato bar. :-)

ETA b/c words are hard...

Anniversary

• Options
    We were at about 15 minutes of our cocktail hour. We weren't planning on being announced anyways so we just went in and started mingling. 
  • Options
    Also, the food we picked for cocktail hour is awesome and there is no way I'm missing out on it. 
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We're having mini Monte Cristo's, crab cakes and mimosas at our cocktail hour and you can bet your sweet ass we aren't missing out on that!
  • Options
    We plan to attend about half or more of our cocktail hour. I don't think there's any reason not to. I think it would be kind of weird if the reception started immediately after the ceremony with everyone being prompted to sit for dinner or find their table and head to the buffet. Cocktail hour gives everyone, bride and groom included a little time to mingle and grab a drink and a snack before the next phase of the festivities. In our case the only time we're having live music is during the cocktail hour (it's provided in the wedding package) and we both love live music, so we're making sure we don't miss the entire thing!
  • Options
    We made most of our cocktail hour and we had a blast!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Because we didn't need a lot of posed pictures done and our caterer was able to have cocktail hour set 15 minutes before it was officially supposed to start, DH and I were able to attend most of our cocktail hour. We took that time to start our table visits (we only had 10 tables).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yeah it is definitely not rude for the bride and groom to attend cocktail hour.  You did pay for the food after all.  Might as well enjoy it if you can.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are purposely doing pictures before hand so that we can attend the cocktail hour. apps are our favorite type of food. 
  • Options
    Cocktail hour is my favorite part of a wedding, so I knew we were going to attend our own. We did a first look and took bridal party and immediate family photos before the ceremony. During the reception, we took a few extended family photos.

After the ceremony, we spent the first 15 minutes in the bridal suite enjoying the moment (and bustling my dress!), then enjoyed the rest of cocktail hour with our guests. At the end of cocktail hour, we regrouped in the bridal suite while everyone found their seats In the reception room and then we were introduced.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding last weekend where I did get annoyed at the couple for showing up to their own cocktail hour, but that was because they had an hour long gap before the cocktail hour (they took pictures for an hour and a half, then showed up for half of the cocktail hour). I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you don't make your guests wait after the ceremony.

• Options
    Thanks everyone! We are definitely not making our guests wait they will begin the cocktail hour immediately after the ceremony and we will hopefully get in at the tail end. I knew I was over thinking it, but better safe than sorry. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards