Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Sparkler alternatives for night time send off?

Hi Everyone,

I love the romantic appeal of sparklers for a night time send off.  However, my venue may not allow us to use sparklers...the jury is still out.  So... does anyone have any suggestions for other fun night time send off ideas?  Bonus points if you can think of something that would have sparkler like results but will be less flammable.

Thank you!

Re: Sparkler alternatives for night time send off?

• edited December 2011
    White rose petals pop off the camera flash at night. They look really pretty. Otherwise, I've seen glow sticks look cool in exit pictures.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • fryer2012fryer2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sparkler-alternatives-night-time-send-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:993333f0-0641-4fe8-8095-d75e8a25cafePost:9b28ac25-531f-4a11-b8f8-27e6bb455771">Sparkler alternatives for night time send off?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Everyone, I love the romantic appeal of sparklers for a night time send off.  However, my venue may not allow us to use sparklers...the jury is still out.  So... does anyone have any suggestions for other fun night time send off ideas?  Bonus points if you can think of something that would have sparkler like results but will be less flammable. Thank you!
    Posted by meganpiwonka[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering this also bc I originally wanted to do them but my friend did sparklers at her wedding and someone popped her Hubby in the head with one! Not cool! I'm thinking that although they look beautiful; alcohol & fire don't mix!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • meganpiwonkameganpiwonka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Does anyone know what the tentacle looking lights they pass out at state fairs are called?  They have a small cheap flashlight type handle and then strings about the consistency of fishing wire that light up coming out of the top...thought these might give a sparkler like effect but I don't know what they are called or where to find them.

• bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want bubbles.  Like, at all.  But our venue said no sparklers too.  At the last minute, we opted for bubbles and I really love the way they looked in pictures...

• edited December 2011
    We are using bubbles as well. You can buy them in groups of 50ish at Hobby Lobby. We got ours on sale so it was 5.00 for I think the actual count is 48.
  • meganpiwonkameganpiwonka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So just found the name of what I was talking about.  Not sure how cost effective these will be just yet but I think they might have a fun sparkler type effect.  They are light up fiber-optic wands.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad you posted this - I really want sparklers too and I'm not sure if my venue will allow them either. Let me know what you find out about the cost!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did ribbon wands. Although, two weeks before the wedding I didn't want to do them...they somehow showed up at the wedding ( Thanks MOM!) I told everyone I didn't want an exit, but some one passed them out and that was that. I like how it turned out. My SIL loved it so much that she would not stop playing with it. In fact my mother shipped the extras to her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Bubbles look really nice with a flash. I had a grand idea of releasing balloons with "throwie" lights in them (small LEDs), but decided against it due to the environmental impact and the logistics hassle.

Sparklers are pretty, but I've seen too many close calls with them. Especially when the couple buys the version that is too short.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • ssarangissarangi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recently bought finger streamers.  I haven't tested one, but apparently, you stick your thumb in the middle of one and the streamers pop out...I guess kind of like silly string, but a lot cleaner!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2014
    Those glowing "strings" are fiber optics. You can find fiber optic wands online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards