Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Smaller Reception Venue

FI and I are having a difficult time finding a reception place.  Here's our needs, wondering if anyone has ideas?
-- 80ish guests
-- Within an hour or so of the Cities
-- Affordable (we want to stay under $10k total, so about $5k for reception site and catering/alcohol)
-- Does not look worn down/poorly maintained/cheap

Also, ideally:
-- vineyard or mansion-ish
-- lots of windows and/or a mix of indoor and outdoor space
-- taller ceilings
-- a bit of character so that we can save on decorating

We've looked at a lot of parks, and are finding them to be cheaper-looking or lacking character.  Other places seem to be either too small/big or expensive.

Re: Smaller Reception Venue

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014

That basically gives you $60 to work with for each guest with an all-inclusive location which some of these are...  That gets you A LOT!

University Club - Summit Avenue Location (not Downtown)... 

The Lexington

Lilydale Pool & Yacht Club

Stillwater Court House

Lake Elmo Inn (don't judge it by the outside!)

Cedarhurst Mansion

• We're having ours at the Eagan Community Center and my budget is right at about 10k as well...We're having a bigger wedding but the beauty of ECC is there's 3 sections of the room so you can block off a section to make it smaller.  Pricing depends on day of the week and season.  We're having ours on a Saturday in October so it's $1545 (which is the top price right now)...We're looking at a buffet for $15 per person and unlimited pop & a couple kegs (about $1000)....Check it out!
  • @optimizt I strongly recommend checking out the 5120 Bar/Restaurant. CLICK HERE.

It's not vineyard/mansion-like but their reception space is GORGEOUS & Their food and bev minimum is only $2,500. So, at around $35/per person you almost have a hard time reaching the minimum, but if you include beverages and apps you are good to go.

• Thanks for the ideas!  We're still looking, but I thought that I would add some research for the good of the internets.

University Club on Summit is gorgeous (at least in pictures).  But for the info of other web searching brides, it's $2k rental and $5k catering minimum, before taxes gratuity, etc. for a Saturday during peak season.  So for us it would have eaten all of the $10k budget. :-(  There's a decent discount for an off-day or off-peak wedding, but to do an actual dinner we'd still be pretty close to the same budget.

The Lexington is currently closed.  Sounds like it will re-open at some point...

Lilydale, Lake Elmo, Eagan Community Center, and Cedarhurst weren't quite our style (but are beautiful locales for other couples!), so I didn't look there.

I'm still waiting to hear back from 5120 and will consider the Stillwater courthouse if the first round places don't land on a winner.

Thanks again for all of your ideas!
  • Have you looked at the Germanic American Institute? It's a mansion on summit but is cheaper than the University Club to rent. Plus they have a package for under 100 people that includes food, house rental, and a bartender for $4000. You can bring in your own alcohol too. Good luck!
  • Update #2:
    We went and looked at 5120.  It is smack in the middle of the hotel,  So if you use the full space (which we would need to to comfortably accommodate our guest list), there will be people literally walking through your reception to get to/from the pool, and you are a stone's throw from the hotel's front desk.  Also, the gorgeous windows that are shown in all of the pictures look out into a parking lot and then the front of another hotel.  So, not quite the look we were going for. =/

• Check out The Happy Gnome in St. Paul. They have a private room (the Firehouse Room) that you can rent out. We are doing our ceremony and reception there for a $3,000 food/bev minimum on a Saturday night. It's a gorgeous space that doesn't need a lot of décor and because it's a restaurant you don't have to pay for kegs or anything like that.

• optimizt said:
    Update #2:
    We went and looked at 5120.  It is smack in the middle of the hotel,  So if you use the full space (which we would need to to comfortably accommodate our guest list), there will be people literally walking through your reception to get to/from the pool, and you are a stone's throw from the hotel's front desk. 

Where is the pool in relations to everything at that hotel?  I looked at this place, and never noticed a pool... I considered having my reception here, but this note concerns me now.  And yes, those "beautiful" views do overlook the parking lots, and stated.  Which is a little disheartening.  At least there's some blinds they can lower to block some of the hotels across the street.  
  • As you face the hotel, the pool is on the left.  So you go from the front lobby, into the bar/lounge, and then down a hallway to the pool.  If you have a small enough party (50? would be my guess) and can stick to just the one pretty room and bar area, I think you can close a door and you'll probably be okay.  But if you need the lounge too, then you span the hallway.  Fiance and I went for a drink on a Friday night and there were a dozen or so kids running back and forth in their swimsuits.
  • Saint Paul College Club - we had 90 people and it was perfect. Good luck!
  • edited November 2014
    I've heard great things about Summit Manor Reception House in St. Paul. Here's a link to their knot page
    And then a link to their actual website

They get tons of phenomenal reviews, and I've been considering them for a ceremony & reception location. They sound like they're very easy to work. Check it out and tell me what you think!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards