Getting in Shape

Protein Shakes

I am just starting out this week and discovered today after logging all my food and working out that I need a way to boost my food intake. I am thinking that protein shake might be a good idea, especially on days that I work out. Does anyone have a good shake to suggest?

Re: Protein Shakes

• i like to make my own off of this site:  http://greenmonstermovement.com/  and then I add extra flax or chia seed.

My favorite is a peanut butter and banana one.  I have that recipe on my blog if you just search "smoothie"
  • Unless you plan on pumping some serious weights or running a marathon, protein shakes are not a great way to lose weight. If anything, they actually make you GAIN weight! Try this instead: skim milk, greek yogurt plain non fat, frozen fruit no sugar added, and orange juice from a real orange, and ice. Blend in a blender and drink for breakfast. I did this along with eating a healthy mix of veggies, lean meats and whole grains i n moderation and lost 15 pounds in 4 months, along with 1 hr of cardio and weights 5 days a week. Get into a good eating and workout routine and you'll do great. But def stay away from protein power and protein shakes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is the first time I've heard someone say that protein isn't the way to go. My understanding is that you need more protein when you are active and looking to lose weight, because if you're doing any sort of weight training additional protein helps rebuild/repair muscles.

I used SIx Star (I think that's what it was called) mixed with some 1% milk and ice.

Anna, have you had success with chia? I've tried it and found it messes with my digestive track in a major way (and not for the better).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed with PPs.. I usually make my own shakes as well, if I'm really wanting one.. HOWEVER, for those "eff it's last minute and I'm headed off to lift weights. I need to leave NOW" moments, I use vega sport in chocolate. It's the best tasting protein powder I have ever had and it's fantastic for you with nooo artificial sweeteners. 
    If you are wanting something that Whey-based, Gold Standard stuff tastes pretty decent, but they (as most whey powders) add sucralose (splenda) to it so.. somethin to consider. 

Honestly, just keep nuts and bananas in your house, and you shouldn't have too big of an issue with your caloric intake. Not all calories are created equal!!  
  • Protein IS great, however using powers and high calorie, high sugar shakes are NOT the way to go. Plenty of protein can be found in natural items that can be combined in homemade shakes such as greek yogurt, peanut butter, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:9f6eba24-971f-4914-a8ea-e013065a19b4">Re: Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Protein IS great, however using powers and high calorie, high sugar shakes are NOT the way to go. Plenty of protein can be found in natural items that can be combined in homemade shakes such as greek yogurt, peanut butter, etc.
    Posted by futuremrsbillyo[/QUOTE]
    Well, considering that OP said she needed to boost her caloric intake, something higher calorie isn't necessarily bad.

There are plenty of decent mixes with low sugar, no artificial sweeteners, and limited chemicals.  All protein shakes are not created equal.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:3c747436-8329-427d-a8bc-af447c8fc8ed">Re: Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]The one I really like and am drinking right now: 1 cup of 1% milk 1 Banana 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter 3 tbsp of cottage cheese (1% or non-fat) 1 packet of stevia or truvia (or the like) ice cubes to get it to a smoothie consistency (that's the way I like it).<strong> It is like 2g of carbs to 1g of protein. It has close to 20g of protein.</strong>
    Posted by xcalygrl[/QUOTE]

This sounds yummy, but I'm confused by the bold. Does this mean that the smoothie has 40g of carbs? I'm also assuming it's one serving. Is this right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:5ac02b3d-b300-43bd-b8df-735f7aa7f8ad">Re: Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna, have you had success with chia? I've tried it and found it messes with my digestive track in a major way (and not for the better).
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>i love chia seeds as long as they're dry added.  If they soak to long like an overnight oatmeal or parfait, it gives me major belly gas.  But my system is all wonky anyway and in need of being gluten free so my results may not be typical at all.

</div>
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:eed8b940-c913-4f8b-9644-3bfced6668fc">Re: Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protein Shakes : This sounds yummy, but I'm confused by the bold. Does this mean that the smoothie has 40g of carbs? I'm also assuming it's one serving. Is this right?
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

Well, considering a medium banana has around 30g of carbs by itself, that's not at all surprising to me. 

I love chia.  I haven't noticed any digestive issues.  But they're high in fiber, so some initial digestive issues wouldn't be at all surprising to me.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:ed0a85f7-f53c-4545-bb0d-6f2cf3478761">Re: Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protein Shakes : Well, considering a medium banana has around 30g of carbs by itself, that's not at all surprising to me.  I love chia.  I haven't noticed any digestive issues. <strong> But they're high in fiber, so some initial digestive issues wouldn't be at all surprising to me.</strong>
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

You'd think they'd 'help' digestion, but have the exact opposite effect on me.

Yeah, I keep forgetting about bananas and carb counts. I don't follow a low carb diet or anything, but I was just double checking my math.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A sudden fiber increase throws your digestion for a loop. It takes a few days to a week for everything to...even out.

• I have a shake after every work out. This helps me boost my calorie intake for the day as well as my protein. I use Designer Whey protein, it's all natural and about 100 calories per scoop, and I get my shake receipes from this site:

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have to completely disagree here.  I think protein shakes are a great light post work out snack.  Unless you are taking in something really high calorie, like Muscle Milk, you should be okay.  I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein.  Mix with water, ice cubes, some berries and a bit of almond milk- super tasty and fulfilling...and around 200 calories.  I lift a lot of weights and I feel that this really helps my recovery- especially since it has glutamine, which helps ease soreness. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:e75bf998-48de-4002-9435-03ff5baa53e9">Re:Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you plan on pumping some serious weights or running a marathon, <strong>protein shakes are not a great way to lose weight. If anything, they actually make you GAIN weight!</strong> Try this instead: skim milk, greek yogurt plain non fat, frozen fruit no sugar added, and orange juice from a real orange, and ice. Blend in a blender and drink for breakfast. I did this along with eating a healthy mix of veggies, lean meats and whole grains i n moderation and lost 15 pounds in 4 months, along with 1 hr of cardio and weights 5 days a week. Get into a good eating and workout routine and you'll do great. But def stay away from protein power and protein shakes!
    Posted by futuremrsbillyo[/QUOTE]
  • I usually do a protein drink after workouts. I don't really like shakes or smoothies so I had to find just the right powder. I use Jay Robb tropical dreamsicle flavor whey protein. Mix with one cup of water and half cup fresh OJ and it is amazeballs. It's all natural and sweetened with stevia. The fudge brownie protein bars are really tasty also at 220 calories.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:9bf95389-9f5f-4c71-bfbb-844a9b505a25">Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am just starting out this week and discovered today after logging all my food and working out that I need a way to boost my food intake. I am thinking that protein shake might be a good idea, especially on days that I work out. Does anyone have a good shake to suggest?
    Posted by Sundaylou[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>HERBALIFE  iswear it will change your life</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:9bf95389-9f5f-4c71-bfbb-844a9b505a25">Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am just starting out this week and discovered today after logging all my food and working out that I need a way to boost my food intake. I am thinking that protein shake might be a good idea, especially on days that I work out. Does anyone have a good shake to suggest?
    Posted by Sundaylou[/QUOTE]

Sundaylou,
    Have you heard of shakeology if not check out this website <a href="http://myshakeology.com/buriostegui" rel="nofollow">http://myshakeology.com/buriostegui</a> it is not exactly a protein shake but it gives you everything that you need, you can use it as a meal replacement or just add it for more calories. If you want more info just let me know or you can email me at <a href="mailto:buriostegui85@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">buriostegui85@gmail.com</a>. I have been drinking it for almost a month and it has done wonders, increased my energy, regulated my digestive system, and it has curved my cravings.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-shakes-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:c80983b0-1e3c-4c49-813d-8af841c37ab4Post:227bc805-041d-44dd-8023-c9f52991498c">Re:Protein Shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to completely disagree here.  I think protein shakes are a great light post work out snack.  Unless you are taking in something really high calorie, like Muscle Milk, you should be okay.  I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein.  Mix with water, ice cubes, some berries and a bit of almond milk- super tasty and fulfilling...and around 200 calories. <strong><u> I lift a lot of weights</u> </strong>and I feel that this really helps my recovery- especially since it has glutamine, which helps ease soreness.  In Response to Re:Protein Shakes :
    Posted by stephcap32[/QUOTE]

My point exactly!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2012
    i swear by shakes! I also needed something to up my calorie intake but even when I was on maintence I would still drink a protein shake everyday. Protein is key in any diet. Don't listein t someone who tells you they will make you gain weight. It's only going to make you gain weight if you drink them in excess like having anything else in excess. I love coffee so here is my daily shake:
    1 and a half scoops of mochachino syntha6 (33 g protein)
    9 oz water
    1 scoop fat free and sugar free frozen yogurt
    scoop of ice cubes
    blend till smooth

it tastes like a frappachino! it is a higher calorie shake but if you need a boost this will help. A scoop and a half is 300 cals plus the yogurt is about 350.

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards