Students

Last semester of nursing school & planning a wedding…

Hi! I'm in need of some advice. I got engaged last August and we have set our wedding date for December 2014. I start my last semester of nursing school next month, along with a new job & let's just say, I'm a little overwhelmed, especially everything that comes along with wedding planning. The date has already changed twice due to finals & graduation. I want to go away with just my fiancé and a few close friends after school is done and have a party next summer. The problem you may ask is our family & friends complaining about every detail, including not having a big wedding. (and my family is throwing us a shower next month) I just want to focus on school, marrying the man of my dreams, and starting our lives together. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!!!!

Re: Last semester of nursing school & planning a wedding…

• Hi! I'm in need of some advice. I got engaged last August and we have set our wedding date for December 2014. I start my last semester of nursing school next month, along with a new job & let's just say, I'm a little overwhelmed, especially everything that comes along with wedding planning. The date has already changed twice due to finals & graduation. I want to go away with just my fiancé and a few close friends after school is done and have a party next summer. The problem you may ask is our family & friends complaining about every detail, including not having a big wedding. (and my family is throwing us a shower next month) I just want to focus on school, marrying the man of my dreams, and starting our lives together. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!!!!
    I'm confused about the bolded-- do you mean this is the wedding you envision?  Or you're trying to balance a vacation and a party with wedding planning?

Anyway.  I just graduated law school and am getting married in the spring.  In the meantime I'll start an incredibly demanding law firm job and I will not have much time to work on things, so I know where you're coming from.  My advice is to decide as soon as you can on the date, size, and type of wedding you want.  Then you can use your breaks from school effectively.  And make sure you lean on your Fi during this time.  It's his wedding too!  If he is not as busy, or even if you're both busy, he can help you.

It's totally okay to have a small destination wedding, and then an AHR later with more guests.  But remember that AHR will not be your wedding, so don't do vows, wedding party, first dances, other wedding stuff.  It's a big party to celebrate your marriage.

Having a small wedding is a responsible choice at a time when you and Fi don't have much money because you're still working on your education.  Just tell your family you are making a choice to responsibly host what you can afford, and then bean dip them (change the subject).  They aren't paying, I gather, so they don't get a say in the size of your wedding.

As for the shower-- you had another thread about this, right?  You got good advice over there.  It's nice that your family wants to have a shower, but the only guests must be those invited to the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards